Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 00:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to psychoanalytic theory, people have unconscious

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: Psychoanalytic [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2011, 07:00
To me it seems the answer is D
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 57

Re: CR: Psychoanalytic [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2011, 19:51
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
Premise: Repression kept conscious thought from being unconscious.
Premise: Recent Research shows that decrease in anxiety reveals those unconsciousness.

I think that this should be an inference question because Assumption question must have a clear conclusion.

(A) Changes in the patient’s anxiety level during therapy can generally be used as an accurate measure of the extent to which the patient is becoming conscious of previously repressed beliefs.
-- Too much specific "accurate measure"
(B) Even when one of a patient’s unconscious beliefs remains unconscious, researchers are sometimes able to discover this belief.
-- this is nowhere mentioned.
(C) If psychoanalytic theory is correct, then most conscious beliefs originate as unconscious beliefs.
-- Again too specific.
(D) Researchers were able to distinguish expressed beliefs that had previously been unconscious from those that had long been conscious but that the patient had not previously expressed.
-- Yes. OA is the same
(E) Although the beliefs on which the mechanism of repression works are all unconscious, the operation of the mechanism itself is something of which patients are consciously aware. -- New information OOS

nice explanation! it was btw (C) and (D) for me, i picked (C) :|
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: CR: Psychoanalytic [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 12:36
Straightforward. D.

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 51

Re: CR: Psychoanalytic [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 22:47
D has to be the answer , and the questions is not so straightforward as was claimed by someone.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: CR: Psychoanalytic [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 23:02
Between options B and D, I went for B as D looked more of an assumption answer choice.
B is subtle and can be inferred from the argument.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 109

Re: CR: Psychoanalytic [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2011, 15:01
+1 D

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '14
GMAT Date: 10-24-2011

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

Re: CR: Psychoanalytic [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 22:40
GMATaddict wrote:
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
I've got this one right but I am posting here to know whether my reasoning was correct. Please provide your explanation.

According to psychoanalytic theory, people have unconscious beliefs that are kept from becoming conscious by a psychological mechanism termed “repression.” Researchers investigating the nature of this mechanism observed occasions on which a patient undergoing therapy became aware of and expressed a previously unconscious belief. They found that such occasions were marked by an unusual decrease in the patient’s level of anxiety.
If the information above is true, and if the researchers’ investigation was properly conducted, then which of the following must also be true?
(A) Changes in the patient’s anxiety level during therapy can generally be used as an accurate measure of the extent to which the patient is becoming conscious of previously repressed beliefs.
(B) Even when one of a patient’s unconscious beliefs remains unconscious, researchers are sometimes able to discover this belief.
(C) If psychoanalytic theory is correct, then most conscious beliefs originate as unconscious beliefs.
(D) Researchers were able to distinguish expressed beliefs that had previously been unconscious from those that had long been conscious but that the patient had not previously expressed.
(E) Although the beliefs on which the mechanism of repression works are all unconscious, the operation of the mechanism itself is something of which patients are consciously aware.

I think (A) is the best. It seems consistent with the original info that suggests changes in anxiety level --> changes in repression mechanism --> awareness of unconscious belief

(B) The original info suggests patients EXPRESSED beliefs AFTER becoming aware of them, so this cannot be concluded from the info.
(C) Can't be determined by info.
(D) can't be determined
(E) don't know, can't be determined.

Why A is not an answer? Because the decrease of anxiety level may be a sign of previously unconscious beliefs but not "an accurate measure of the extent."
Why not B? Because the stimulus said nothing about "discovering unconscious beliefs" when they still remains unconscious.
Why not C or E? No information given.
Why D? In the stimulus, as a conclusion, researchers FOUND that the level of anxiety decreases unusually WHEN the patient becomes aware of previously unconscious belief. Therefore, by unusual decrease they can distinguish what has been unconscious from what has been conscious but not expressed.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Aidha
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 43

Re: CR: Psychoanalytic [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 02:06
I don't understand how it is an assumption question. I was confused between D and E and chose E because my understanding of the question says that its an inference question and E is the closest.

If my post did a dance in your mind, send me the steps through kudos :)

My MBA journey at http://mbadilemma.wordpress.com/

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 55

Re: CR: Psychoanalytic [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 23:01
bibha wrote:
D is fine. But, can anyone explain...what is wrong with E?

(E) Although the beliefs on which the mechanism of repression works are all unconscious, the operation of the mechanism itself is some thing of which patients are consciously aware.

we cannot say that patients are aware about how the mechanism operates. They just become aware about their previously unconscious beliefs.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1374 [0], given: 122

Re: CR: Psychoanalytic [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 14:41
This one is not assumption, but inference question. Assumption is a hidden premise that must be true for a conclusion to hold true. But there's no conclusion here, only fact sets.
P1: unconscious belief # conscious belief.
P2: When a patient is aware of and expresses unconscious belief, researchers see there's a reduce of patient's anxiety.

Combine two premises above.
Inference: researchers can distinguish unconscious belief from conscious one. Answer D indicates that.

bigfernhead wrote:
I think this is an inference question, and i still came with D.

scthakur wrote:
It took a while to understand that it is an assumption question and not an inference question.

Answer is clearly D.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 15

Re: According to psychoanalytic theory, people have unconscious [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 10:59
The question is not 100% percent Inference types but certainly this is not an assumption question as there is no conclusion in the argument. moreover following techniques of identifying an assumption will only do mess..The best way IMO is to treat it as must be true question and reach D by POE
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: According to psychoanalytic theory, people have unconscious [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 06:05
Answer is D.

You can eliminate A and E immediately then D is the only answer that addresses information specific to the passage.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: According to psychoanalytic theory, people have unconscious [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2014, 07:48
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: According to psychoanalytic theory, people have unconscious   [#permalink] 04 Jul 2014, 07:48