Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1751 [37]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [3]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31883 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: According to psychologists, many dieters subconsciously prefer a diet [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Lucky2783 wrote:
According to psychologists, many dieters subconsciously prefer a diet plan whose effectiveness is uncertain -- a consideration that, in case of failure, lets them blame the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan rather than their own lack of self-control.

Please provide the Explanations if possible.

A )a diet plan whose effectiveness is uncertain -- a consideration that, in case of failure, lets them blame the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan rather than their own lack of self-control
B) An uncertain diet plan in terms of effectiveness: such plans allow them to believe that the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan is to blame, rather than that they lack self-control in case of failure
C) diet plans with uncertain effectiveness, which will allow them to blame the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan, rather than to lack self-control, in case of failure
D) uncertainly effective diet plans, allowing them to believe the plans that are supposedly ineffective, rather than that they lack self-control, in case of failure
E) diet plans uncertain in effectiveness; in case of failure, allowing them to believe that the plan itself is ineffective rather than that they lack self-control

hi Lucky2783,
the choices B to E can be straightway rejected..
however in A, your punctuation mark uncertain -- a consideration not clear
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1751 [0]
Send PM
Re: According to psychologists, many dieters subconsciously prefer a diet [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:
Lucky2783 wrote:
According to psychologists, many dieters subconsciously prefer a diet plan whose effectiveness is uncertain -- a consideration that, in case of failure, lets them blame the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan rather than their own lack of self-control.

A )a diet plan whose effectiveness is uncertain -- a consideration that, in case of failure, lets them blame the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan rather than their own lack of self-control
B) An uncertain diet plan in terms of effectiveness: such plans allow them to believe that the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan is to blame, rather than that they lack self-control in case of failure
C) diet plans with uncertain effectiveness, which will allow them to blame the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan, rather than to lack self-control, in case of failure
D) uncertainly effective diet plans, allowing them to believe the plans that are supposedly ineffective, rather than that they lack self-control, in case of failure
E) diet plans uncertain in effectiveness; in case of failure, allowing them to believe that the plan itself is ineffective rather than that they lack self-control

hi Lucky2783,

Hi Chetan,

I copied it from mgmat so i believe this is not a syntax/typo error.
thanks
lucky
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31883 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Lucky2783 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Lucky2783 wrote:

hi Lucky2783,

Hi Chetan,

I copied it from mgmat so i believe this is not a syntax/typo error.
thanks
lucky

hi lucky,
i have never seen such a punctuation mark '--', i think a comma or semi-colon may have been appropriate...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1751 [0]
Send PM
hi lucky,
i have never seen such a punctuation mark '--', i think a comma or semi-colon may have been appropriate...[/quote]

hhmm.. may be some one from Manhattan team will be able to shed more light . attached the picture for reference.
Attachments

MGMAT.jpg
MGMAT.jpg [ 302.9 KiB | Viewed 14878 times ]

MGMAT.jpg
MGMAT.jpg [ 302.9 KiB | Viewed 14862 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.55
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hello everyone, I had started to struggle with GMAT Verbal since two weeks ago. I'm a native portuguese speaker who have learned english through references that are not so good (namely: movies and music).

I was doing a MGMAT's CAT and have found the question that follows, but for me the question construction implies in ambiguity. The clause "a consideration that... lets them blame the X rather Y" would refer to the dieters or to the psychologists? A relevant note is that all of the answers provided have presented this construction. Can anyone help me?

A. a diet plan whose effectiveness is uncertain -- a consideration that, in case of failure, lets them blame the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan rather than their own lack of self-control

B. an uncertain diet plan in terms of effectiveness: such plans allow them to believe that the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan is to blame, rather than that they lack self-control in case of failure

C. diet plans with uncertain effectiveness, which will allow them to blame the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan, rather than to lack self-control, in case of failure

D. uncertainly effective diet plans, allowing them to believe the plans that are supposedly ineffective, rather than that they lack self-control, in case of failure

E. diet plans uncertain in effectiveness; in case of failure, allowing them to believe that the plan itself is ineffective rather than that they lack self-control
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31883 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
livio04 wrote:
Hello everyone, I had started to struggle with GMAT Verbal since two weeks ago. I'm a native portuguese speaker who have learned english through references that are not so good (namely: movies and music).

I was doing a MGMAT's CAT and have found the question that follows, but for me the question construction implies in an ambiguity. The clause "a consideration that... lets them blame the X rather than Y" would refer to the dieters or to the psychologists? A relevant note is that all of the answers provided have presented this construction. Can anyone help me?

A. a diet plan whose effectiveness is uncertain -- a consideration that, in case of failure, lets them blame the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan rather than their own lack of self-control

B. an uncertain diet plan in terms of effectiveness: such plans allow them to believe that the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan is to blame, rather than that they lack self-control in case of failure

C. diet plans with uncertain effectiveness, which will allow them to blame the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan, rather than to lack self-control, in case of failure

D. uncertainly effective diet plans, allowing them to believe the plans that are supposedly ineffective, rather than that they lack self-control, in case of failure

E. diet plans uncertain in effectiveness; in case of failure, allowing them to believe that the plan itself is ineffective rather than that they lack self-control

Hi,
the role of psycologists is limited to providing some info, because of the usage of 'according to'..
therefore whatever pronoun comes thereafter will refer to the noun in the main clause..
If there are two nouns in the main clause, then it can be ambiguous..

if in doubt, reverse the constr and see..
Many dieters subconsciously prefer a diet plan whose effectiveness is uncertain -- a consideration that, in case of failure, lets them blame the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan rather than their own lack of self-control according to psychologists....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
How option E has fragment problem?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Soham68 wrote:
How option E has fragment problem?

Hi Soham68, generally speaking, a semicolon connects two Independent clauses.

In E however, there is no Independent clause after the semicolon. Hence, E is a fragment.

You can watch our video on Independent and Dependent clauses.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Sentence fragments, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 266
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
Send PM
The Modifier in the second part of this sentence -- describing what dieters will blame for the failure of a diet plan -- explains why dieters may prefer a potentially ineffective plan to an effective one. Therefore, the sentence must be structured in a way that correctly indicates this Meaning. Additionally, there should be proper Parallelism between the two possible explanations given for the failure of the plan (i.e., the plan's ineffectiveness versus the dieters' lack of self-control).

(A) CORRECT. A diet plan whose effectiveness is uncertain clearly and unambiguously indicates the nature of the uncertainty described: the effectiveness of the diet plan (not, say, the particulars of the plan itself) is uncertain. The following appositive modifier (a consideration that…) is properly used to describe the entire preceding idea, namely, the idea that the diet plan's effectiveness is uncertain. The modifier in case of failure is set off by a comma from the entire parallel structure, properly indicating that the entire parallel structure (not just one of the parts) describes the situation in which the diet plan fails. Finally, the structure X rather than Y is formed with proper parallelism: both X (the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan) and Y (their own lack of self-control) are noun phrases.

(B) The phrase an uncertain diet plan in terms of effectiveness is unclear: it seems to indicate that the diet plan itself, rather than the plan's effectiveness, is uncertain. There is a lack of agreement between the plural plans (at the start of the second clause) and the singular plan (in the first clause); better agreement would be achieved if such plans were replaced with such a plan. Finally, the modifier in case of failure is attached only to the second option in the parallel structure (that they lack self-control); this modifier should be placed so as to modify that entire parallel structure.

(C) This choice places the two infinitives to blame… and to lack… in parallel, thus creating a nonsense meaning: the (illogical) implication is that the diet plan will allow them to blame and [will allow them] to lack self-control. This is incorrect; the dieters' second option is to blame a lack of self-control.

(D) The phrase uncertainly effective diet plans is unclear. The comma + allowing... modifier should refer to the action of the preceding clause (many dieters subconsciously prefer…), but this meaning is nonsensical; it is not the case that, because the dieters prefer an uncertainly effective diet plan, this fact allows them to believe that the plan is ineffective. The two factors that could potentially be blamed are not written with proper parallelism: the first is a noun phrase (the plans…), while the second is an entire clause (that they lack self-control). Moreover, the first of these factors is written illogically: to believe the plans erroneously indicates that the dieters believe the plans themselves, when in fact the opposite is true, i.e., the dieters actually don't believe that the plan is effective.

(E) In this choice, the portion following the semicolon (allowing them to believe…) is a modifier, not a complete sentence. A semicolon must be followed by an independent clause (a complete sentence) containing both a subject and a verb.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
In (A) , isn't "own self control" a kind of redundant phrase?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
sharanyasri wrote:
In (A) , isn't "own self control" a kind of redundant phrase?

Hello sharanyasri,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe that we can resolve your doubt.

This phrase is slightly redundant, but you must keep in mind that redundancy is not a deal-breaker on the GMAT; in fact, it is the least important factor. Redundancy should only be considered in order to determine the best among otherwise error-free answer choices.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Hi! I cannot seem to figure out why it is appropriate to use "whose" when referring to "a diet plan". Isn't whose used only with human objects? Can someone please explain?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
finaliguess wrote:
Hi! I cannot seem to figure out why it is appropriate to use "whose" when referring to "a diet plan". Isn't whose used only with human objects? Can someone please explain?

I used to think the same thing. The truth is that "whose" is the only possessive relative pronoun, and it can be used to refer to any type of noun.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35 (Online)
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Can you please explain the answer, unable to understand anything said in comments
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
finaliguess wrote:

I used to think the same thing. The truth is that "whose" is the only possessive relative pronoun, and it can be used to refer to any type of noun.

Got it! Thank you for the explanation.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
According to psychologists, many dieters subconsciously prefer a diet [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
finaliguess wrote:

who and whom may refer only to people, but whose may refer to ANYTHING.
Note that who may also refer to GROUPS of people.
An OA in GMATPrep:
The confederacy was a cluster of tribes who interacted with one another.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts