Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 14:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to recent research, a blindfolded person whose

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [2] , given: 19

According to recent research, a blindfolded person whose [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 10:50
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

28% (02:31) correct 72% (01:38) wrong based on 1018 sessions
According to recent research, a blindfolded person whose nostrils have been pinched so that smelling is impossible will have great difficulty in differentiating a bite of an apple from a bite of a raw potato. This clearly demonstrates that taste buds are not the only sense organs involved in determining the taste of a piece of food.

Which of the following premises, is an assumption required by the argument?

a. All people agree that an apple and a potato differ in taste.

b. There are no other senses involved in tasting other than taste, smell, and sight.

c. The word "taste" can be used to describe an experience that involves sight or smell or both.

d. The research was based on experiments that were conducted on a broad spectrum of the general population.

e. People who have been blindfolded and whose nostrils are pinched can differentiate a bite of an apple from a bite of an onion more easily than they can differentiate a bite of an apple from a bite of a raw potato.

What is the negation of a? Would it be - "No one agrees that an apple and a potato differ in taste" or is the negation - "At least one person doesn't agree that an apple and a potato differ in taste"?
I chose A because I negated it the first way I described above. I am guessing the negation is the 2nd way.

Thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
13 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1123

Kudos [?]: 5095 [13] , given: 164

Re: According to recent research, a blindfolded person whose nos [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 05:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Practicegmat wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:
@
Kris01 ur explanation is faulty :

a ) All people agree that an apple and a potato differ in taste.
the negation of A wud be not All people agree that an apple and a potato differ in taste. that means that some people do not agree that an apple and a potato differ in taste

Could you explain further ? I still feel (a) is the answer.

Anyone from VeritasPrep can help here ?
This is a Veritas Prep QBnak question.
I went through through through explanation in the Vertias Prep QBank, but still have doubt.

First of all, the negation of (A):

(A) All people agree that an apple and a potato differ in taste.
Negation: Not all people agree that an apple and a potato differ in taste.
This means there is at least one person who does not agree that an apple and a potato differ in taste. It is still possible that taste buds are not the only sense organs involved in determining the taste of a piece of food. Even after we negate (A), the conclusion is possible so (A) is not an assumption.
Think of it this way: The given research was conducted. Blindfolded people with pinched noses found it very hard to differentiate the taste. One person comes up and says that he himself cannot differentiate between the two while looking and smelling. Does it mean that senses other than taste buds are not involved? No. There could be many other people who feel that they can easily differentiate between an apple and a potato taste. So other senses could be involved. So (A) is not your answer.

Let's negate (C)

(C) The word "taste" can be used to describe an experience that involves sight or smell or both.
Negation: The word "taste" can not be used to describe an experience that involves sight or smell or both.
It says that "taste" does not involve sight and smell. But our conclusion is based on the premise that sight and smell are involved. Hence we need (C) to be true to arrive at our conclusion.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 70 [2] , given: 3

Re: According to recent research, a blindfolded person whose nos [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 13:21
This post received
KUDOS
Hello,

A can be negated to mean "No one can tell the difference between the taste of apple and potato". This includes people with eyesight etc. Now when one applies this to the first statement, one understands that no one can tell the difference is taste between potato and apple while some blind people can tell the difference, although with a bit of difficulty. All that might let us to conclude is that eyesight might be an obstacle in recognizing or differentiating between the taste of two or more food items. We can in no way conclude that taste buds are not the only receptors of taste.

Hope it is clear. Let me know if you require further explanation.

gmatprep1982 wrote:
According to recent research, a blindfolded person whose nostrils have been pinched so that smelling is impossible will have great difficulty in differentiating a bite of an apple from a bite of a raw potato. This clearly demonstrates that taste buds are not the only sense organs involved in determining the taste of a piece of food.

Which of the following premises, is an assumption required by the argument?

a. All people agree that an apple and a potato differ in taste.

b. There are no other senses involved in tasting other than taste, smell, and sight.

c. The word "taste" can be used to describe an experience that involves sight or smell or both.

d. The research was based on experiments that were conducted on a broad spectrum of the general population.

e. People who have been blindfolded and whose nostrils are pinched can differentiate a bite of an apple from a bite of an onion more easily than they can differentiate a bite of an apple from a bite of a raw potato.

What is the negation of a? Would it be - "No one agrees that an apple and a potato differ in taste" or is the negation - "At least one person doesn't agree that an apple and a potato differ in taste"?
I chose A because I negated it the first way I described above. I am guessing the negation is the 2nd way.

Thanks

Thanks
Kris
Instructor at Aspire4GMAT

Visit us at http://www.aspire4gmat.com

Post your queries
Join our free GMAT course

New blog: How to get that 700+
New blog: Data Sufficiency Tricks

Press Kudos if this helps!

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 89 [2] , given: 32

Premium Member
Re: According to recent research, a blindfolded person whose nos [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 09:33
This post received
KUDOS
@

the negation of A wud be not All people agree that an apple and a potato differ in taste. that means that some people do not agree that an apple and a potato differ in taste
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 5095 [1] , given: 164

Re: According to recent research, a blindfolded person whose [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2014, 20:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
nidhi12 wrote:
why not B
If I say there other senses involved, such as skin.. then??
taste buds not only responsible for taste sense ...then also negation test is cleared

Negate (B): There ARE other senses involved in tasting other than taste, smell, and sight.

Conclusion of the argument: taste buds are not the only sense organs involved in determining the taste of a piece of food.

Can the conclusion hold even after negating (B)? Sure, even if some other sense are also involved, the conclusion is saying that taste buds are not the only sense organs. So (B) is not the assumption.

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 166

GMAT Tests User
Re: According to recent research, a blindfolded person whose nos [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 08:14
aditya8062 wrote:
@

I went through through through explanation in the Vertias Prep QBank, but still have doubt.

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: According to recent research, a blindfolded person whose nos [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 03:53
Practicegmat wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:
@

All people becomes not all people which does not mean no people. So this assumption on negation does not destroy the argument.

Also C provides a clear explanation as to why the people might consider different things to be of same taste. Because if smelling is helpful for people to distinguish b/w things of same "taste" (Here taste takes other form as mentioned in the definition of taste) then taste buds might not be the only organs to determine the taste of the item.

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Education)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 31

Re: According to recent research, a blindfolded person whose [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2013, 07:30
this is surely a 700 level question.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 02-21-2014
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 5

Re: According to recent research, a blindfolded person whose nos [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 14:00
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Practicegmat wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:
@

First of all, the negation of (A):

(A) All people agree that an apple and a potato differ in taste.
Negation: Not all people agree that an apple and a potato differ in taste.
This means there is at least one person who does not agree that an apple and a potato differ in taste. It is still possible that taste buds are not the only sense organs involved in determining the taste of a piece of food. Even after we negate (A), the conclusion is possible so (A) is not an assumption.
Think of it this way: The given research was conducted. Blindfolded people with pinched noses found it very hard to differentiate the taste. One person comes up and says that he himself cannot differentiate between the two while looking and smelling. Does it mean that senses other than taste buds are not involved? No. There could be many other people who feel that they can easily differentiate between an apple and a potato taste. So other senses could be involved. So (A) is not your answer.

Let's negate (C)

(C) The word "taste" can be used to describe an experience that involves sight or smell or both.
Negation: The word "taste" can not be used to describe an experience that involves sight or smell or both.
It says that "taste" does not involve sight and smell. But our conclusion is based on the premise that sight and smell are involved. Hence we need (C) to be true to arrive at our conclusion.

Can a conclusion also become an assumption?
Based on the experiments I concluded that apart from taste buds, taste involves other senses as well. This then becomes a fact inferred and thus ground for my conclusion. How is this an assumption then? Or maybe I am missing something.

Regards,
DJ
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: According to recent research, a blindfolded person whose [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 01:11
Thanks Karishma for nice explanation.

Got it correct thought.

Regards
Vikas
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 21

Re: According to recent research, a blindfolded person whose [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2014, 04:20
why not B
taste buds not only responsible for taste sense ...then also negation test is cleared
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: According to recent research, a blindfolded person whose [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2014, 06:00
nidhi12 wrote:
why not B

Skin is out of the bounds of the argument isn't it ?

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 58

CAT Tests
Re: According to recent research, a blindfolded person whose [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2014, 10:21
nidhi12 wrote:
why not B

Negate (B): There ARE other senses involved in tasting other than taste, smell, and sight.

Conclusion of the argument: taste buds are not the only sense organs involved in determining the taste of a piece of food.

Can the conclusion hold even after negating (B)? Sure, even if some other sense are also involved, the conclusion is saying that taste buds are not the only sense organs. So (B) is not the assumption.

How would you negate D?

The research wasn't based on experiments that were conducted on a broad spectrum of the general population.

So this would mean that we only took a small spectrum and maybe that affected the results?
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5095 [0], given: 164

Re: According to recent research, a blindfolded person whose [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2014, 22:07
Expert's post
ronr34 wrote:
nidhi12 wrote:
why not B

How would you negate D?

The research wasn't based on experiments that were conducted on a broad spectrum of the general population.

So this would mean that we only took a small spectrum and maybe that affected the results?

Negate D: Research was based on experiments that were not conducted on a broad spectrum of the general population.

The conclusion does not say that for people of most classes/regions, taste buds are not the only sense organs involved in determining the taste of a piece of food.

It is acceptable if the research was conducted on a few people and it was determined that other senses are involved. Even if some people found it difficult to differentiate between the two things, we can say that other senses are involved. They may or may not be involved for all - it doesn't change anything.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
According to recent research, a blindfolded person whose [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2014, 14:58
Don't know whether it would be stupid question but word order of option C has confused me .

"" The word "taste" can be used to describe an
experience that involves sight or smell or both. """

Here ,is it not possible to assume that " taste can be used to describe an experience that involves sight only or smell only or both ?""

, sight or smell or both ? so Taste can be describe in term of sight only . in this case , don't need more than one organ to experience taste of a food .
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Premium Member
Re: According to recent research, a blindfolded person whose [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 02:28
Can someone please tell me why not D?

Never give up, never celebrate, never leave your spot until it is finally over
We are winning this GMAT-war together

"Your one spot for all your GMAT and B-school ranking know hows" - Click here

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5095 [0], given: 164

Re: According to recent research, a blindfolded person whose [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 04:07
Expert's post
janxavier wrote:
Can someone please tell me why not D?

I have taken it here: according-to-recent-research-a-blindfolded-person-whose-147631.html#p1379519

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: According to recent research, a blindfolded person whose   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2014, 04:07