Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:53 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6508 [134]
Given Kudos: 100
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [57]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [29]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [3]
Given Kudos: 20
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: According to scientists at the University of California, the pattern [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Tejal you are correct on the S-V, eliminate A, B and C on that basis.
There are also redundancy in some of those answers such as in a) “the possibility” and “might” is duplication and not concise.

Between D and E the main difference is “may be a descendant of” vs “might be a descendant from”. I don’t know if there is an idiom for this but as a native speaker “descendant of” is typically used. Same as the word member – you would be a member of a band but not a member from a band. Although they both probably make sense the first seems more correct.

Regarding the question about the main subject, it is “pattern of changes”, not the scientists.

Hopefully someone else can offer a better explanation :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [3]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
Re: According to scientists at the University of California, the pattern [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
yep descendent from is totally incorrect. The correct form is 'descended from' or 'descendent of' . Nice question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6508 [2]
Given Kudos: 100
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Kudos
You guys might want to kill me but now I have a new querie:(
1."decendant from" is the right idiom i checked,so you guys are bang on on that.

I was reviewing the questions again and got a bit confused.

I had read somewhere,that "that" refers to immediate nouns:
One of the substances that tell/[strike]tells[/strike]
One of the substances [strike]tells[/strike]/tell

Coming back to the original question,
the pattern of changes that have occurred
So the subject here becomes changes>Plural>>Indicate.. :cry: :cry:
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [4]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
Idiom Issue:

1. "descendant from" could be a correct idiom but that doesnot mean that "descendant of" is incorrect.
2. "descendant from" could be a correct idiom but that doesnot mean that "descendant from" is superior to "descendant of".
3. "descendant from" could be a correct idiom but that doesnot mean that it is properly used in the given context.
4. "descendant from" and "descendant of" both could equally be correct and properly be used in D and E, but if E has an obvious error (i.e. wrong verb "might"), then it is less likely to be the OA than D, which doesnot have that error.

tejal777 wrote:
You guys might want to kill me but now I have a new querie:(
1."decendant from" is the right idiom i checked, so you guys are bang on on that.

I was reviewing the questions again and got a bit confused.

I had read somewhere,that "that" refers to immediate nouns:

Coming back to the original question,
the pattern of changes that have occurred
So the subject here becomes changes>Plural>>Indicate.. :cry: :cry:

SVA:

E. According to scientists at the University of California, the pattern of changes that have occurred in human DNA over the millennia indicates that everyone alive today may be a descendant of a single female ancestor who lived in Africa sometime between 140,000 and 280,000 years ago.

- Subject = the pattren - singular
- Verb = indicates - singular

"That" refers to "changes" and is a plural. Therefore "That" has a plural verb "have".

The folloings are both correct:

tejal777 wrote:
6.According to scientists at the University of California, the pattern of changes that have occurred in human DNA over the millennia indicate the possibility that everyone alive today might be descended from a single female ancestor who lived in Africa sometime between 140,000 and 280,000 years ago.

(A) indicate the possibility that everyone alive today might be descended from a single female ancestor who
(B) indicate that everyone alive today might possibly be a descendant of a single female ancestor who had
(C) may indicate that everyone alive today has descended from a single female ancestor who had
(D) indicates that everyone alive today may be a descendant of a single female ancestor who
(E) indicates that everyone alive today might be a descendant from a single female ancestor who
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
tejal777 wrote:
6. According to scientists at the University of California, the pattern of changes that have occurred in human DNA over the millennia indicate the possibility that everyone alive today might be descended from a single female ancestor who lived in Africa sometime between 140,000 and 280,000 years ago.
(A) indicate the possibility that everyone alive today might be descended from a single female ancestor who
(B) indicate that everyone alive today might possibly be a descendant of a single female ancestor who had
(C) may indicate that everyone alive today has descended from a single female ancestor who had
(D) indicates that everyone alive today may be a descendant of a single female ancestor who
(E) indicates that everyone alive today might be a descendant from a single female ancestor who

OA:

First of,S-V agreement.
S-pattern>singular,therefore indicateS should be used.
A,B,C>eliminate.
D,E remains.

Queries:
1. descendent of/from.Are'nt both correct?
2.may/might.For a future event which defines certanity?May?
3.Subject of the sentence is pattern.Agreed.Can someone explain WHY?While identifying a subject we ask the question "Who did the action"..Is'nt the answer "scientists"??

Difficult question!

A) "indicate" does not agree with "the pattern"
B) idem
C) "may indicate" changes the meaning
D) looks fine, let's go to the next
E) looks fine too, let's see what is different

process of choosing:
1) between "might" and "may", I would use "may" (but I don't know whether this is better... anyone know?)
2) my ear says that "descendant from" is awkward. If I would say "descendant from", it would be a country or something like that. However, this "descendant" sounds like "descendant of Japanese or sth like that.

Agree?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3223 [10]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
The correct idioms are:

'descendant of'
'descended from'

Hence D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [4]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Kudos
[quote="rgtiwari"]According to scientists at the University of California, the pattern of changes that have occurred in human DNA over the millennia indicate the possibility that everyone alive today might be descended from a single female ancestor who lived in Africa sometime between 140,000 and 280,000 years ago.

Eliminate A and B for subject-verb agreement problem, redundancy/double meaning.

Double meaning is the reason to eliminate C.

Between D and E.

"Might" is the past tense of the verb "may." In this sentence, the general fact/general truth is stated, requiring the present tense. Use of "might" is incorrect.

D.
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [2]
Given Kudos: 24
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
6.According to scientists at the University of California, the pattern of changes that have occurred in human DNA over the millennia indicate the possibility that everyone alive today might be descended from a single female ancestor who lived in Africa sometime between 140,000 and 280,000 years ago.
(A) indicate the possibility that everyone alive today might be descended from a single female ancestor who Awkward construction
(B) indicate that everyone alive today might possibly be a descendant of a single female ancestor who had Wrong tense
(C) may indicate that everyone alive today has descended from a single female ancestor who had Same reason as B
(D) indicates that everyone alive today may be a descendant of a single female ancestor who CORRECT
(E) indicates that everyone alive today might be a descendant from a single female ancestor who Should be "descendant of"

Hence IMO D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bookmarks
diogoguitarrista wrote:
tejal777 wrote:
6. According to scientists at the University of California, the pattern of changes that have occurred in human DNA over the millennia indicate the possibility that everyone alive today might be descended from a single female ancestor who lived in Africa sometime between 140,000 and 280,000 years ago.

OA:

First of,S-V agreement.
S-pattern>singular,therefore indicateS should be used.
A,B,C>eliminate.
D,E remains.

Queries:
1. descendent of/from.Are'nt both correct?
2.may/might.For a future event which defines certanity?May?
3.Subject of the sentence is pattern.Agreed.Can someone explain WHY?While identifying a subject we ask the question "Who did the action"..Is'nt the answer "scientists"??

Difficult question!

A) "indicate" does not agree with "the pattern"
B) idem
C) "may indicate" changes the meaning
D) looks fine, let's go to the next
E) looks fine too, let's see what is different

process of choosing:
1) between "might" and "may", I would use "may" (but I don't know whether this is better... anyone know?)
2) my ear says that "descendant from" is awkward. If I would say "descendant from", it would be a country or something like that. However, this "descendant" sounds like "descendant of Japanese or sth like that.

Agree?

In this particular case: 'descendant' is an adjective and hence should be followed by 'of' whereas 'descended' is verb and hence should be followed by 'from'.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [9]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos