Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to scientists at the University of California, the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 109

Re: May vs Might [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 15:43
+1 D
Might usually refers to past actions.

This website can be useful:
http://gmat-grammar.blogspot.com/

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: May vs Might [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2010, 18:31
This post received
KUDOS
I choosed D

but Thanks for the explanation for May vs Might

Kudos if any of my post helps you !!!

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

Re: May vs Might [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 02:52
rlevochkin wrote:
It is C for the last one. According to an unofficial explanation, "might" is a legitimate substitute for "may". D is missing a preposition.

What preposition is missing in D?
The second Sc has confounded me . SOS .
Agreed the Sc 1 has nothing to do with may / might . But since the topic has been broached , could somebody explain when should we use may and when should we use might ?

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: According to scientists at the University of California, the [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 16:29
D. I think this answer has been explained thoroughly.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: According to scientists at the University of California, the [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 08:16
first S-V, pattern so -> indicates a,b,c gone
D & E
decedent of or decedent from both are correct but a decedent from is not
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Sloan '16 (D)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 19

Re: According to scientists at the University of California, the [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 08:21
D. Singular verb and "a descendant of".
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: According to scientists at the University of California, the [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 18:19
Yep, might is the simple past tense of may. In this sentence, we need present tense. Hope that help

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: According to scientists at the University of California, the [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 02:51
IMO D as clear use of Idiom. Also S-V agreement.

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: According to scientists at the University of California, the [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 22:26
Its D because might is not required in this context.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 460 Q35 V20
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: According to scientists at the University of California, the [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 18:47
According to scientists at the University of California, the pattern of changes that have occurred in human DNA over the millennia indicate the possibility that everyone alive today might be descended from a single female ancestor who lived in Africa sometime between 140,000 and 280,000 years ago.

Just to confirm..
I believe the high lighted text would be the subject of the sentence? or is it just pattern of changes?
please justify!
And any specific grammar rule which tells us to avoid subjects that have a relative clause ( here That)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 51

Re: According to scientists at the University of California, the [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 22:09
According to scientists at the University of California, the pattern of changes that have occurred in human DNA over the millennia indicate the possibility that everyone alive today might be descended from a single female ancestor who lived in Africa sometime between 140,000 and 280,000 years ago.

hi everybody dont you think that the pattern of changes that have occurred is wrong . Since the pattern of changes is singular ,it must be has occured right ?

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: According to scientists at the University of California, the [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 07:21
What's wrong with C? Is it the "had lived"?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: According to scientists at the University of California, the [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 08:25
rgtiwari wrote:

(A) indicate the possibility that everyone alive today might be descended from a single female ancestor who
(B) indicate that everyone alive today might possibly be a descendant of a single female ancestor who had
(C) may indicate that everyone alive today has descended from a single female ancestor who had
(D) indicates that everyone alive today may be a descendant of a single female ancestor who
(E) indicates that everyone alive today might be a descendant from a single female ancestor who

I am stuck between D and E , i.e, between May and Might :?: ...Please explain!!

Can someone please explain why C is wrong?

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: According to scientists at the University of California, the [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 09:20
Answer: D

Eliminate A and B due to subject-verb agreement --> "The pattern of changes" --> requires plural "indicates"

Answer C changes the meaning of the sentence.

Between D and E --> idioms: descendant of vs. descended from, thus D is correct

olgakogan wrote:
rgtiwari wrote:

(A) indicate the possibility that everyone alive today might be descended from a single female ancestor who
(B) indicate that everyone alive today might possibly be a descendant of a single female ancestor who had
(C) may indicate that everyone alive today has descended from a single female ancestor who had
(D) indicates that everyone alive today may be a descendant of a single female ancestor who
(E) indicates that everyone alive today might be a descendant from a single female ancestor who

I am stuck between D and E , i.e, between May and Might :?: ...Please explain!!

Can someone please explain why C is wrong?

Answer C changes the meaning of the original sentence.

The original sentence is saying that the pattern of changes DEFINITELY indicates a possibility that needs confirmation.
Answer choice C is saying that the pattern of changes MAY indicate a possibility that needs confirmation.

Thus, the two sentences differ in meaning.

saikarthikreddy wrote:

hi everybody dont you think that the pattern of changes that have occurred is wrong . Since the pattern of changes is singular ,it must be has occured right ?

No, it's a subordinate clause - just not contained within two commas.

You can rewrite the sentence as: "The pattern of changes, which have occurred in human DNA over the millennia, indicates the possibility..."
Re: According to scientists at the University of California, the   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2013, 09:20