Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 16:40
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (02:04) correct 51% (01:24) wrong based on 567 sessions
According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market reflect growing confidence that the economy will avoid the recession that many had feared earlier in the year and instead come in for a 'soft landing', followed by a gradual increase in the business activity.

(A) that the economy will avoid the recession that many had feared earlier in the year and instead come
(B) in the economy to avoid the recession, what many feared earlier in the year, rather to come
(C) in the economy's ability to avoid the recession, something earlier in the year many had feared , and instead to come
(D) in the economy to avoid the recession many were fearing earlier in the year, and rather to come
(E) that the economy will avoid the recession that was feared eariler this year by many, with it instead coming

please post your answers with explanations
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 15 Jun 2013, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question, added OA.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC Some analysts [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 23:07
This post received
KUDOS
bdumpala wrote:
According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market reflect growing confidence that the economy will avoid the recession that many had feared earlier in the year and instead come in for a 'soft landing', followed by a gradual increase in the business activity.

(A) that the economy will avoid the recession that many had feared earlier in the year and instead come
(B) in the economy to avoid the recession, what many feared earlier in the year, rather to come
(C) in the economy's ability to avoid the recession, something earlier in the year many had feared , and instead to come
(D) in the economy to avoid the recession many were fearing earlier in the year, and rather to come
(E) that the economy will avoid the recession that was feared eariler this year by many, with it instead coming

A is the correct answer. Usage of 'that' makes all the difference. "Gains reflect the confidence that economy will avoid..." is correct. "Gains refect the confidence (in the economy) to avoid..." is flawed.

'in the economy' modifies 'confidence' in options B,C & D. You must try to make sense without reading the modifier in between. Try reading "gains reflect the confidence to avoid...". Does that make any sense?

Ofcourse E is too wordier & flawed that you'll be able to pick between A & E.

Hey guys, surprisingly, this is one exceptio to the use of idiom: 'instead of'. Can someone explain why is this exception?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Some analysts [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2008, 04:48
bdumpala wrote:

I dont' know why it used past perfect tense for A..There is even no single past tense in the sentence!!!
Not mentioning the past perfect tense, I think A is right.
IN B...I am not sure if we can still have "rather to come" without and connecting words such as "and". And maybe it would be better if "in avoiding" is used rather than "to avoid". Overall, B looks okay to me.
In C...confidence in economy's ability...sounds not quite right. Again, past perfect tense. So I drop C.
D. Past progressive tense makes me a bit uncomfortable, but I think D is better than B.
E...Awkward..."with it instead coming" and passive expression.

For me B and E are the winners. If OA is A, I do need an explanation on the reason of using Past Perfect tense there. THx.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Some analysts [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 14:16
Can anyone explain why is past perfect used in the oa a?

Posted from my mobile device Image

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.64
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC Some analysts [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 06:04
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.64
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC Some analysts [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 06:09
Feared---- reflect-----avoid----follow;;; this is the time line I could come up with... Feared needs past perfect relative to avoid. I am not sure if that could be it. But from my understanding, you assign tenses relative to present tense

btw what is the resource for this question? Also, it could be error one the question as choice e corrects this error.

-Abhi

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Some analysts [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 04:59
This Q is from the OG.

Can someone explain why part participle rather than simple past or past progressive is used in A?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: SC Some analysts [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 12:22
I chose E just because of the past perfect tense. Per MGMAT SC, past perfect is strictly not to be used unless the sentence is already talking about an Event X in the past and Event Y occurred before event X. :((

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Some analysts [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 22:37
(A) that the economy will avoid the recession that many had feared earlier in the year and instead come-----

Usage of past perfect (had feared) is correct.

fear was in the past before anyone could see where the economy was really headed. (the economy avoided the recession later). All I know from SC is for sure that some people had fear earlier in the year.

The best way to solve SC is notice the split "rather" Vs instead. Here instead> rather. Because rather than doom the economy came in for a "soft-landing" - I see a replacement.

Between A ad C. A it is.

vscid wrote:

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: SC Some analysts [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 22:57
Can you elaborate on "instead" versus "rather".

nusmavrik wrote:
(A) that the economy will avoid the recession that many had feared earlier in the year and instead come-----

Usage of past perfect (had feared) is correct.

fear was in the past before anyone could see where the economy was really headed. (the economy avoided the recession later). All I know from SC is for sure that some people had fear earlier in the year.

The best way to solve SC is notice the split "rather" Vs instead. Here instead> rather. Because rather than doom the economy came in for a "soft-landing" - I see a replacement.

Between A ad C. A it is.

vscid wrote:

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 398 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Some analysts [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 23:14
This post received
KUDOS
Rather - shows preference
e.g
1). We ought to invest in machinery rather than buildings.
2) I want a cat rather than a dog

Instead - suggests that one person, thing or action replaces another.
1). I'll have tea instead of coffee, please.
2). I stayed in bed all day instead of going to work.

E is wrong. You can kill C because instead is not followed by infinitive.

pdarun wrote:
Can you elaborate on "instead" versus "rather".

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Some analysts [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 05:38
Please, your help with this:
a) According to the OE in the OG 12th: "The original sentence successfully avoids the problems that may occur in a long sentence with multiple modifiers. Two subordinate clauses begin with "that", and one of them is contained within another".
Could someone please explain: why does, in this case, the sentence successfully avoid this usual problem?, and Why, in other cases, other sentences can't?

b) How can one be sure that "come" is parallel with "avoid", and not with "reflect" of the main clause?,

c) In B, why does "rather to come" is wrong?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Some analysts [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2011, 05:19
bdumpala wrote:

A is the answer
just because of
1 correct usage of 'that'
2 'Avoid' and 'instead' are parallel
hope this helps :) :)

WarLocK

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.44
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Re: SC Some analysts [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 20:22
Hi all,

In option A, 'economy will avoid...' -> can the economy do the avoiding on it's own? isn't that flawed?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 23:30
IMO A, past perfect bcz analyst feared about a recession earlier, which is not the case now, when they expect a soft landing.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 17:54
I picked the answer A for this question:

A. This clearly states the clause within the clause. Parallelism is also maintained

The clauses should can be broken down like this:

That the economy (outer clause):
- will avoid the recession AND
- will come

The recession that (inner clause):
- many feared earlier in the year

B. The use of "what" is incorrect because it is not the best relative pronoun to introduce a subordinate clause in this case. Also, "rather to come" is really confusing.

C. "In the economy's ability..." is a very awkward sentence. Again, "instead to come" does not sound very good either.

D. The use of past progressive tense "were fearing" is incorrect. The use of past perfect should be the tense of choice. Also, "rather to come" is a strange way to word the clause after "and."

E. The most confusing part of this answer choice is the pronoun "it." This pronoun is supposed to refer to the economy, but it is part of the subordinate clause that contains "the recession" as the subject. This cannot be correct.
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1148 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2013, 00:57

Choices B and D
"growing confidence in the economy to avoid the recession"
are unidomatic, and clearly wrong.

Choice E is not parallel, and the two clauses cannot be connected by "with"

Choice A is parallel "will avoid (...) come", but my main reason to discard C and pick A is the word "something"

What is "something"? the recession or the ability?

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2013, 12:09
Hi EGMAT,

Here correct answer is A. But why we are using past perfect tense. here we are talking about three time periods :past (fear of recession), present (time when the sentence was spoken), and future (will avoid recession). Can't we show past by simple past instead of past perfect? I am unable to get this as there cannot be the case of if.. then.. condition.
Also why choice C is wrong? Is it due to parallelism issue?
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1263

Kudos [?]: 3506 [0], given: 185

Re: According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2013, 23:01
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
karanthakurani wrote:
Hi EGMAT,

Here correct answer is A. But why we are using past perfect tense. here we are talking about three time periods :past (fear of recession), present (time when the sentence was spoken), and future (will avoid recession). Can't we show past by simple past instead of past perfect? I am unable to get this as there cannot be the case of if.. then.. condition.
Also why choice C is wrong? Is it due to parallelism issue?

Hi karanthakurani,

Yes, the usage of past perfect tense is a bit tricky here. We need to understand the structure and the meaning of this sentence.

"According to some analysts" is equal to saying "Analysts said". This is just implied in the sentence. This is the past tense event for the analysts.

Also "earlier this year" makes it clear that the analysts "feared" before they stated their opinion. So the usage of past perfect tense is correct here.

In the presence of words that establish time sequencing, such "earlier in the year", use of past perfect tense is optional and not incorrect. You may or may not choose to use past perfect tense in the presence of such words.

This is the reason why Choice A is correct here.

In Choice C, placement of “earlier in the year” is not correct. It suggests that recession was earlier in the year and not many had feared it earlier in the year. Also, use of “instead to” is not idiomatic.

Hope this helps :)

Regards,
Krishna

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2013, 09:24
Can anybody please explain the difference in use of "confidence that" and "confidence in" .I thought confidence in is a correct idiom.Expert please help!!!
Re: According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market   [#permalink] 24 Dec 2013, 09:24