Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 03:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to some experts, carbon dioxide is accumulating in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 670 [1] , given: 40

GMAT Tests User
According to some experts, carbon dioxide is accumulating in [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 23:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

56% (01:57) correct 44% (00:40) wrong based on 16 sessions
According to some experts, carbon dioxide is accumulating in the atmosphere so rapidly, largely because of the burning of fossil fuels, that should the present rate of buildup continue, the global concentration of this poison will double by the end of the next century.

(A) that should the present rate of buildup continue, the global concentration of this poison
(B) should the present rate of buildup continue, the global concentration of this poison
(C) should the present rate of buildup be continued, the global concentration of this poison
(D) the global concentration of this poison, were the present rate of buildup continue,
(E) that the global concentration of this poison, if the present rate of buildup did continue,

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 118

Kudos [?]: 200 [5] , given: 10

Re: Carbon dioxide is accumulating [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 09:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
As others have stated, B-D are incorrect because we need to follow the idiom "so rapidly . . . that."

E uses "if" incorrectly. Any of the following would work:

"If the present rate continues, the global concentration will double."
"If the present rate continued, the global concentration would double."
"If the present rate were to continue, the global concentration would double."

Note that in the second and third examples, we are using a form of the past tense, followed by "would." Similarly, if we are going to say "If the rate did continue," we need to use "would" rather than "will."

The first example matches with A (the correct answer). "Should the present rate continue" is another way of saying "If the present rate continues." Many people aren't going to like this choice because this is a particular idiomatic use of the word "should" that's a little fancier than what we tend to use in everyday speech. This is exactly the kind of construction that the GMAT loves to use to throw us off the trail. If you are highly comfortable with written and spoken English, you are probably accustomed to this usage, but if not, you are left wondering what "should" is doing in there.

One last problem with E is that we don't really need to say "did continue." That usage is only needed if we are contradicting another idea:

"Country X has promised to stop polluting the ocean; however, if it did continue polluting, other countries would take actions against it."

I hope this helps!

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 63 [2] , given: 40

Re: Carbon dioxide is accumulating [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 23:28
This post received
KUDOS
ykaiim wrote:
According to some experts, carbon dioxide is accumulating in the atmosphere so rapidly, largely because of the burning of fossil fuels, that should the present rate of buildup continue, the global concentration of this poison will double by the end of the next century.

(A) that should the present rate of buildup continue, the global concentration of this poison
(B) should the present rate of buildup continue, the global concentration of this poison
(C) should the present rate of buildup be continued, the global concentration of this poison
(D) the global concentration of this poison, were the present rate of buildup continue,
(E) that the global concentration of this poison, if the present rate of buildup did continue,

Is it A?
According to some experts, carbon dioxide is accumulating in the atmosphere so rapidly that should the present rate of buildup continue, the global concentration of this poison will double by the end of the next century
should the present rate of buildup continue = if the present rate of buildup continue
Kudo me if it's right :D
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Carbon dioxide is accumulating [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 00:44
DavidArchuleta wrote:
ykaiim wrote:

Is it A?
According to some experts, carbon dioxide is accumulating in the atmosphere so rapidly that should the present rate of buildup continue, the global concentration of this poison will double by the end of the next century
should the present rate of buildup continue = if the present rate of buildup continue
Kudo me if it's right :D

I will go with B ..using "that" seems redundant
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 40

Re: Carbon dioxide is accumulating [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 02:50
abinash123 wrote:

I will go with B ..using "that" seems redundant

No, It's the phrase "so adjective or adverb that S-V (clause)".
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Carbon dioxide is accumulating [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 04:40
'A' for me. idiom.. so rapidly... that.. 'E' 's usage of if is weird.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: Carbon dioxide is accumulating [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 09:12
i THINK IT IS a,,,...... BECAUSE WE NEED "THAT' WITH "SO"
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 6

Re: Carbon dioxide is accumulating [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 08:37
i pick (A).

correct idiom is "so X that Y"

that leaves (A) and (E)

(E) is weird because of "if" and "did".

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Carbon dioxide is accumulating [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 10:57
I too will go with A. E also uses 'This'
Intern
Intern
Status: Every achievement is not an end, but the beginning of a new jounrney.
Schools: NY Stern, INSEAD, UCLA, Darden
WE 1: Deputy Manager -- Oil & Gas -- Base Refinery Operations
WE 2: Engineer -- Honeywell Process Solutions
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Carbon dioxide is accumulating [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 11:09
ykaiim wrote:

Could anyone of you explain this please? I'm stuck up between A and E. :?
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 251 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Carbon dioxide is accumulating [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 12:08
+1 A

Dmitry, however, MGMAT SC says that "SHOULD" should be avoided in conditional sentences. Should we be flexible in that aspect?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Carbon dioxide is accumulating [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 22:28
I chose E, however I realise I didn't read the second part of Original sentence very carefully.

I was looking for a subject after 'that' and ignored A, not realising that it also has a subject (the global concentration) after 'that' even though in a different for sentence framing.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Carbon dioxide is accumulating [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2011, 10:10
sunny86 wrote:
ykaiim wrote:

Could anyone of you explain this please? I'm stuck up between A and E. :?

Hi Sunny86,

Let's consider E.
[strike]According to some experts,[/strike]carbon dioxide is accumulating [strike]in the atmosphere[/strike] so rapidly, [strike]largely because of the burning of fossil fuels[/strike], that the global concentration [strike]of this poison[/strike], if the present rate of buildup did continue, will double by the end of the next century.

After removing all middleman, final version will look like below sentence:
carbon dioxide is accumulating so rapidly,that the global concentration of X, if the present rate of buildup did continue,will double by the end of the next century.

Now see if "if the present rate of buildup did continue" serves any purpose in sentence. It can not modify either "poison" or "concentration" but still there unnecessarily between subject ( Global concentration) and verb (will double).

It might be correct when it comes at the end.
carbon dioxide is accumulating so rapidly,that the global concentration of X will double by the end of the next century, if the present rate of buildup did continue.

I hope my explanation helped, if indeed please give me kudos.

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything.
Thanks Rphardu

VP
VP
Followers: 205

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: According to some experts, carbon dioxide is accumulating in [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 07:09
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: According to some experts, carbon dioxide is accumulating in   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2013, 07:09