Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1330 [21]
Given Kudos: 31
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 510 [5]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: According to the Department of Social Services, new taxes need to be [#permalink]
I was a little confused between B and D, but the reason that I eliminated D is: - just because the previous attempts have been blocked by the legislature doesn't mean that it will happen this time in this particular case

As I eliminated D, I chose the option B though I wasn't convinced about B. Simply, I was completely convinced that D was wrong for the above reason, hence I chose the option B.

I request for some help on my thinking process and for some comments on my reasoning for option D.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: According to the Department of Social Services, new taxes need to be [#permalink]
According to the Department of Social Services, new taxes need to be generated to maintain the solvency of the state's Medical Aid program, which provides medical coverage for the state's poor and uninsured residents. The governor has proposed that a special tax be imposed on those with incomes greater than $300,000 a year to pay for the shortfalls in the Medical Aid program. While new revenues are indeed needed to maintain the Medical Aid program's solvency, the governor's plan for securing the needed funds should be rejected because it would force certain taxpayers to absorb the cost for something from which they would receive no benefit.

Which of the following, if true, would provide proponents of the governor's plan with the strongest counter to the objection that the plan is unfair?

A. Even with the proposed tax increase, the average tax rate on those state residents earning more than $300,000 a year would remain lower than the tax rate on those earning this same income in neighboring states. -We are not worried about the taxes in neighbouring states
B. Any attempt to raise taxes on those with incomes greater than $300,000 a year will cause the affluent to find creative ways to shelter their incomes and lower their taxes and thus will prove self-defeating. -If the people find different ways to shelter their income then the new tax won't have any benefits
C. Those earning more than $300,000 a year benefit when the state directs funding to research into curing diseases such as arthritis, cancer, and heart disease, and the funding for this research is drawn from general income tax revenues to which the all taxpayers contribute. -We are not talking about the research but about the poor and needy
D. When the poor and uninsured go without adequate medical coverage, they avoid medical treatment until their conditions become severe, forcing hospitals to raise rates for everyone so that they can treat this population. -Correct. If a certain category of people don't pat surcharge then the increased prices will impact every section of the economy.
E. The only alternative way of funding the Medical Aid program now being considered is through a general state income tax surcharge, which would affect affluent and middle class taxpayers alike. -We are not interested in the alternative ways
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Kudos
nave wrote:
According to the Department of Social Services, new taxes need to be generated to maintain the solvency of the state's Medical Aid program, which provides medical coverage for the state's poor and uninsured residents. The governor has proposed that a special tax be imposed on those with incomes greater than $300,000 a year to pay for the shortfalls in the Medical Aid program. While new revenues are indeed needed to maintain the Medical Aid program's solvency, the governor's plan for securing the needed funds should be rejected because it would force certain taxpayers to absorb the cost for something from which they would receive no benefit.

Which of the following, if true, would cast the most doubt on the feasibility of the governor's plan to maintain the solvency of the state's Medical Aid program?

A. Before any such tax increase can be imposed, the state is required by law to hold hearings at which objections to the proposed tax hike can be raised.

B. Imposing a special tax will fail to address the underlying causes for the increasing costs to maintain the state's Medical Aid program or the increasing number of uninsured residents in the state.

C. In recent years, changes to the Medical Aid funding formula have shifted much of the burden for maintaining the program from the federal government to state governments.

D. Those with incomes greater than $300,000 a year represent a powerful political constituency in the state and previous attempts to impose tax increases on this group have been blocked by the state legislature.

E. Other states that have tried to impose similar targeted tax increases to maintain the solvency of their Medical Aid programs have met with mixed success.

Bad question dummies from Kaplan. How is political clout linked to the "feasibility of the plan"? Political clout can block the proposal. Feasibility means - something wrong in the Governor's logic & money got from increased taxes won't solve the underlying problem.

These guys misguide students with these kinds of questions.

I challenge anyone to support the logic of this qn...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
nave wrote:

Which of the following, if true, would cast the most doubt on the feasibility of the governor's plan to maintain the solvency of the state's Medical Aid program?

A. Before any such tax increase can be imposed, the state is required by law to hold hearings at which objections to the proposed tax hike can be raised.
This doesn't add to the fact that the law cannot be enacted therefore out

B. Imposing a special tax will fail to address the underlying causes for the increasing costs to maintain the state's Medical Aid program or the increasing number of uninsured residents in the state.
This lends strength to the argument that the law has to be passaed therefore out

C. In recent years, changes to the Medical Aid funding formula have shifted much of the burden for maintaining the program from the federal government to state governments.
Tis doesn't add on to the fact that the law cannot be implemented therefore out

D. Those with incomes greater than $300,000 a year represent a powerful political constituency in the state and previous attempts to impose tax increases on this group have been blocked by the state legislature.
This definitely weakens since the law cannot be enacted as the 300k above guys have a stronger hold therefore out

E. Other states that have tried to impose similar targeted tax increases to maintain the solvency of their Medical Aid programs have met with mixed success.
What others commit to is absolutely inconsequential therefore out

Therefore IMO D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Crytiocanalyst wrote:
nave wrote:

This doesn't add to the fact that the law cannot be enacted therefore out

This lends strength to the argument that the law has to be passaed therefore out

Tis doesn't add on to the fact that the law cannot be implemented therefore out

This definitely weakens since the law cannot be enacted as the 300k above guys have a stronger hold therefore out

What others commit to is absolutely inconsequential therefore out

Therefore IMO D

I think the problem doesn't use the word "feasibility" correctly. Have you heard of "feasibility studies?" / "ROI" studies? You don't use that word to convey the meaning intended by the prompt.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
does not option B] tells us that the plan will not work or the funds will be insufficient and hence weakening the plan?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:
does not option B] tells us that the plan will not work or the funds will be insufficient and hence weakening the plan?

Answer these questions, in as much detail as you can:

1). What, specifically, does the answer to the question need to do? What would it MEAN for an answer to 'do' this?

2). What does answer choice B say/mean, in your own words?

3). Does answer choice B achieve what is needed in the right answer to this question? Why or why not?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Send PM
According to the Department of Social Services, new taxes need to be [#permalink]
gmatter0913 wrote:
I was a little confused between B and D, but the reason that I eliminated D is: - just because the previous attempts have been blocked by the legislature doesn't mean that it will happen this time in this particular case

As I eliminated D, I chose the option B though I wasn't convinced about B. Simply, I was completely convinced that D was wrong for the above reason, hence I chose the option B.

I request for some help on my thinking process and for some comments on my reasoning for option D.

You're right. The past does not represent the future. There's no certainty that the tax increase will be blocked by the group again. However, the question does not ask us to prove the plan unfeasible but asks us to cast the most doubt on it. That means we need to find a statement that leads us to think that the plan may not be possible. Casting doubt does not necessarily mean disproving the argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Send PM
Kudos
JoeKan1234 wrote:
gmatter0913 wrote:

You're right. The past does not represent the future. There's no certainty that the tax increase will be blocked by the group again. However, the question does not ask us to prove the plan unfeasible but asks us to cast the most doubt on it. That means we need to find a statement that leads us to think that the plan may not be possible. Casting doubt does not necessarily mean disproving the argument.

i strongly supported option D, but the question stem is wrong. read it again. it clearly says "which of the following would CAST A DOUBT ON THE FEASIBILITY OF THE GOVERNORS PLAN?"
Option D does weaken it, not by casting a doubt on the feasibility of the plan but by telling us that the plan won't pass altogether. Hence I eliminated option D
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts