Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 22:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to the enrollment statistics published by U.S.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

According to the enrollment statistics published by U.S. [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2005, 03:24
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
According to the enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools, the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical school.

a)

b) as many female as male students are currently enrolled in medical school

c) the number of female students is as many as that of male students currently enrolled in medical school

d) as great as the number of female is the number of male students currently enrolled in medical school

e) female and male students are currently enrolled in equal numbers in medical school
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Answer [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2005, 03:26
The OA is B.

I picked E. I guess this answer is wrong because it's more wordy than B?

Questor
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Answer [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2005, 13:40
This post received
KUDOS
Questor wrote:
The OA is B.

I picked E. I guess this answer is wrong because it's more wordy than B?

Questor

Is it from Princeton Reivew?
Between 2 grammatical correct sentences, one should pick the shortest answer.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2005, 16:05
This post received
KUDOS
Can somebody please explain me WHY is A wrong?

Am I not able to find the mistake in A.

Thanks
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2005, 03:32
This post received
KUDOS
saurabhmalpani wrote:
Can somebody please explain me WHY is A wrong?

Am I not able to find the mistake in A.

Thanks

1. A is too wordy. B is sexier and does the trick.
2. I'm not sure about this, but is it right to say 'the no. of males is equivalent to the no of females?' Sounds somewhat clumsy.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2005, 13:22
This post received
KUDOS
Can somebody please post the grammatical explanation?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2005, 16:48
[quote="Arsene_Wenger
1. A is too wordy. B is sexier and does the trick.
2. I'm not sure about this, but is it right to say 'the no. of males is equivalent to the no of females?' Sounds somewhat clumsy.[/quote]

I think I will buy it to an extent. I was also thinking the same. Any other suggestion is welcomed.

Saurabh Malpani
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Official explanation [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2005, 14:08
This problem is quoted from Kaplan's GMAT 800 book. Here's the official explanation:

"Options C and D are grammatically incorrect because each uses the wrong idiom to describe the number. None of the remaining choices is grammatically incorrect, so focus on their expression. Answer choice B is clearly the most succinct option, and since it is still faithful to the original meaning of the sentence, it is the correct choice as well."
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2005, 14:37
Actually, ETS really does not like the use of "equal". (A) is wordy. In this case, (C) is wrong b/c we cannot say "the number is many...". (D) sounds weird b/c it compares the "great" quality of a number of female to "the number" of male.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 187 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2005, 22:05
This post received
KUDOS
In A "currently enrolled in medical school" seems to only modify the male students.

For E I think it is preferable to say "equal numbers of A and B" instead of "A and B are in equal numbers".

Just my opinion.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2005, 06:26
This post received
KUDOS
Clearly the contention is between (A) and (B).

(A) is wrong because it incorrectly uses "equivalent" to compare the number of male and female students. Equivalence is established when we talk of two different entities e.g. a 1 molar solution of X is EQUIVALENT to a 2 molar solution of Y because they confirm to certain established norm. We could, however, say that the volume of solution X is EQUAL to the volume of solution Y because volume is an attribute which can be directly measured and is universally accepted (at least in the terrestial, non-relativistic domain).

Apply the same analogy to the number of students. EQUAL is the correct expression to use here because we're directly comparing numbers here.

(E) is not appropriate here because it shifts the focus from the key message being conveyed. The author wants to drive home the point that the number of male and female students is the same. Whereas, (E) starts off with "female and male students are currently enrolled in equal numbers .... ". It's like saying "female and male students..." or "aliens and terrestial beings..." or "dolphins and blue whales..." are enrolled in equal numbers. The drift is clear - this option does not focus on the key message.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2005, 11:44
maaverick wrote:
Clearly the contention is between (A) and (B).

(A) is wrong because it incorrectly uses "equivalent" to compare the number of male and female students. Equivalence is established when we talk of two different entities e.g. a 1 molar solution of X is EQUIVALENT to a 2 molar solution of Y because they confirm to certain established norm. We could, however, say that the volume of solution X is EQUAL to the volume of solution Y because volume is an attribute which can be directly measured and is universally accepted (at least in the terrestial, non-relativistic domain).

Apply the same analogy to the number of students. EQUAL is the correct expression to use here because we're directly comparing numbers here.

(E) is not appropriate here because it shifts the focus from the key message being conveyed. The author wants to drive home the point that the number of male and female students is the same. Whereas, (E) starts off with "female and male students are currently enrolled in equal numbers .... ". It's like saying "female and male students..." or "aliens and terrestial beings..." or "dolphins and blue whales..." are enrolled in equal numbers. The drift is clear - this option does not focus on the key message.

Absolutely agree!!
The use of "equivalent" left out certain characteristics between A and B. The use of "equal" makes A = B perfectly. When talking about number, GMAT prefers to use comparison words such as "many", "much, "as...", "than" rather than "equal".
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2005, 12:05
This post received
KUDOS
My answer is E....that OA is dumb! How are you supposed to figure out intention from one sentence?!

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2005, 13:03
This post received
KUDOS
Greenandwise:
I understand your concern.
But you are not comparing the absolute numbers because the values are not given.
The OA should be B only. There is a similar example in OG too comparing the number of people who are enrolled. :(
sleek
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2006, 20:43
Doesn't "According to the enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools" play the part of a modifier??
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2006, 20:57
Just like the Kaplan OE states, the GMAT prefers brevity with two or more answers are grammatically correct.

The key with SCs is to aim to be succinct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2006, 21:38
Tough one to pick between (B) and (E). Chose (E) finally !

http://mba2010dreams.blogspot.com

VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2006, 22:55
I thought of A... saw it's too wordy

B has the same meaning, so it was my choice

E completely shifts the message
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2008, 21:37
mailtheguru wrote:
Doesn't "According to the enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools" play the part of a modifier??

I thought the same and ended up picking up E.

Can anyone explain please......
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Female and male medical students [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2008, 04:19
According to the enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools, the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical school.

b) as many female as male students are currently enrolled in medical school

e) female and male students are currently enrolled in equal numbers in medical school

IMO, B has some comparison issues with 'as many female as male students'. I would have gone with B if we, instead, had 'as many female students as male students'. E does not have this problem: 'female and male students...'

I picked E.
Re: SC: Female and male medical students   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2008, 04:19