Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 09:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to the professor’s philosophy, the antidote

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

According to the professor’s philosophy, the antidote [#permalink] New post 30 May 2004, 16:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (01:14) wrong based on 1 sessions
According to the professor’s philosophy, the antidote to envy is one’s own work, always one’s own work: not thinking about it, not assessing it, but simply doing it.
(A) one’s own work, always one’s own work: not thinking about it, not assessing it, but simply doing it
(B) always work; because you don’t think about it or assess it, you just do it
(C) always one’s own work: not thinking about or assessing it, but simply to do it
(D) not to think or assess, but doing one’s own work
(E) neither to think about one’s own work nor to assess it, it is always simply doing it

Plz explain ur answer

thanks
Satya
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2004, 02:25
my guess would be E..

I want to know if some body explains it.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2004, 13:07
This is a wierd senetence. I will go with A. I will explain if my choice is correct.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2004, 18:59
Do you think it's redundant to say:

- This is my own work? or is it better just to say - this is my work.

- The jacket is his own? -------------------------- The jacket is his.

What about One's own work?

Plus if One's own work is correct, should it come before ENVY (One's own envy) first to make a parallel sentence.

This is a weird Q.

If "always work" in B is not followed by semi-colon but by comma then I will choose B. If it is semi-colon then this cannot be right because it will create a sentence fragment rather than subordinated clause. If this is the case then I will chose A, because CD & E have parlsm problem (infinitive to mixed with gerund -ing)
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: SC...professor's philosophy [#permalink] New post 31 May 2004, 19:47
singh_satya wrote:
According to the professor’s philosophy, the antidote to envy is one’s own work, always one’s own work: not thinking about it, not assessing it, but simply doing it.
(A) one’s own work, always one’s own work: not thinking about it, not assessing it, but simply doing it
(C) always one’s own work: not thinking about or assessing it, but simply to do it
(E) neither to think about one’s own work nor to assess it, it is always simply doing it
Satya

This Q is so confusing. I go with B (using POE)

(A) one’s own work, always one’s own work: not thinking about it, not assessing it, but simply doing it - NOT CORRECT - wordy
(C) always one’s own work: not thinking about or assessing it, but simply to do it - NOT PARALLEL (should be doing)
(D) not to think or assess, but doing one’s own work - NOT PARALLEL (should be to do)
(E) neither to think about one’s own work nor to assess it, it is always simply doing it. - The use of it is weird
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2004, 20:16
Quote:

A is the best choice. All other choices either have grammar mistakes or do not give same meaning.

(B) changes the meaning of the original sentence, focusing on one's own work is the antidote to envy not any work in general
(C) "simply to do it" does not agree with the tense of "thinking " or "assessing"
(D) to think does not align with "Doing"
(E) to think and to assess does not align with "doing"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2004, 15:22
A...simple..and maintains parallelism.

Vivek.

"Start By Doing What Is Necessary ,Then What Is Possible & Suddenly You Will Realise That You Are Doing The Impossible"

[#permalink] 03 Jun 2004, 15:22