Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 14:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to the teachings of the Buddhist and Hindu

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: According to the teachings of the Buddhist and Hindu [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2013, 10:25
It is not about parallelism. The question is testing dangling modifier and infinitive verb form of the sentence. The original sentence contains 3 dangling modifiers 'according.....,attaining.......,leaving....." with no proper verb at all. So in 2nd part of sentence we need verb form to correct it. So of all the options D has infinitive and modifiers are clear.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: According to the teachings of the Buddhist and Hindu [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2013, 08:19
According to the teachings of the Buddhist and Hindu religions, attaining nirvana is to enter a state of supreme liberation, leaving behind the desires that perpetuate the cycle of death and rebirth.

(A) attaining nirvana is to enter
(B) to attain nirvana is entering
(C) to attain nirvana is
(D) to attain nirvana is to enter
(E) attaining nirvana is to be entering

----'leaving behind....rebirth' is working as a modifier. now there are many examples with ' to verb.... is to verb' structure in GMATCLUB...to verb ..is to verb is a parallel structure..so we are left with only D.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: According to the teachings of the Buddhist and Hindu [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2013, 09:28
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Friends,
the Original Sentence is :
According to the teachings of the Buddhist and Hindu religions, attaining nirvana is to enter a state of supreme liberation, leaving behind the desires that perpetuate the cycle of death and rebirth.
now let's tweak it a bit based on the modifying phrases,

Attaining nirvana is to enter a state of supreme liberation,leaving behind the desires that perpetuate the cycle of death and rebirth, according to the teachings of the Buddhist and Hindu religions

Meaning stays the same isn't it...

Now focus: the modified sentence starts with the word "ATTAINING", which is an -ing modifier. now there is aa rule:
1. Any sentence starting with -ing, has to modify the immediate noun in the succeeding phrase. In this sentence do u see that? No, i suppose.
this rules out A & E
Among B,C and D : to X is to Y correctly supports parallelism

Hope this helps.

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 44

Premium Member
According to the teachings of the Buddhist and Hindu [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2014, 22:37
In option A, 'attaining nirvana' will not work as Gerund?
Can any expert guide on option A?
What is the difference between 'Attaining nirvana' and 'To attain nirvana'?

Last edited by chetan86 on 06 Jul 2014, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 210

According to the teachings of the Buddhist and Hindu [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2014, 12:50
To understand this question one should refer MGMAT SC, chapter 11.

Bouquet of flower is giving of love. This sentence is incorrect because we can not make gerund noun parallel with proper noun.

Similarly proper noun is allowed to be parallel only to proper noun.

In (A) Attaining can't be parallel to infinitive noun to enter. Similarly in (B) to attain || entering. E is super wrong.

So we are between C and D.
(C) to attain nirvana is enter a state of supreme liberation. I hold this choice because I know that "to err is human" is a correct sentence, but enter is a verb not noun therefore C should be wrong as well.

(D) to attain nirvana is to enter a state of supreme liberation. D is most parallel and correct answer as well.

(C) to attain nirvana is
(E) attaining nirvana is to be entering

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2282 [1] , given: 31

Re: According to the teachings of the Buddhist and Hindu [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 19:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sudeep wrote:

(C) to attain nirvana is
(E) attaining nirvana is to be entering/quote]
kinjiGC wrote:
Hi Mike,
Can you please explain this question: I picked up option (A(. I want to understand why option (D) is correct.
Thanks,
Kinjal

Dear Kinjal,
I'm happy to respond to your PM. :-) I must say, I don't know the source, but I don't have the highest opinion of this question.

It's not the strictest rule of parallelism, but it is considered good form to have the verb forms match on either side of the verb "to be." Thus
[infinitive] "is" [infinitive]
or
[gerund] "is" [gerund]
This question hinges on this rule as if it were set in stone, and that's too picayune for the GMAT SC. Sometimes authors who don't really understand the feel of GMAT SC questions hinge questions on this minute distinctions, hoping to make the question "tricky", when in fact its simply obscure and not perfectly clear.

That's my 2 cents.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: According to the teachings of the Buddhist and Hindu   [#permalink] 06 Jul 2014, 19:27