Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 17:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to the theory of continental drift, in prehistoric

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 264

According to the theory of continental drift, in prehistoric [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 19:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

90% (02:19) correct 9% (00:25) wrong based on 44 sessions
According to the theory of continental drift, in prehistoric times, many of today's separate continents were part of a single huge landmass. As the plates on which this landmass rested began to move, the mass broke apart, and ocean water filled the newly created chasms. It is hypothesized, for example, that South America was once joined on its east coast with what is now the west coast of Africa.

Which one of the following discoveries, if it were made, would most support the above hypothesis about South America and Africa?

A) A large band of ancient rock of a rare type along the east coast of South America is of the same type as a band on the west coast of Africa.
B) Many people today living in Brazil are genetically quite similar to many western Africans.
C) The climates of western Africa and of the east coast of South America resemble each other.
D) Some of the oldest tribes of people living in eastern South America speak languages linguistically similar to various languages spoken by certain western African peoples.
E) Several species of plants found in western Africa closely resemble plants growing in South America.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Last edited by getgyan on 28 Sep 2012, 00:39, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: According to the theory of continental drift [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 19:55
This post received
KUDOS
This is MOST SUPPORT type question and we accept the information in argument and any information in an answer choice that does not appear in argument is not right

I picked A and my explanations are below

Quote:
According to the theory of continental drift, in prehistoric times, many of today's separate continents were part of a single huge landmass. As the plates on which this landmass rested began to move, the mass broke apart, and ocean water filled the newly created chasms. It is hypothesized, for example, that South America was once joined on its east coast with what is now the west coast of Africa.

Which one of the following discoveries, if it were made, would most support the above hypothesis about South America and Africa?

A) A large band of ancient rock of a rare type along the east coast of South America is of the same type as a band on the west coast of Africa. - Correct and best match. Rock matches landmass in the argument
B) Many people today living in Brazil are genetically quite similar to many western Africans. - many people? argument did not mention
C) The climates of western Africa and of the east coast of South America resemble each other - climates? argument did not mention
D) Some of the oldest tribes of people living in eastern South America speak languages linguistically similar to various languages spoken by certain western African peoples - oldest tribes? argument did not mention
E) Several species of plants found in western Africa closely resemble plants growing in South America - species of plants? argument did not mention
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 118 [1] , given: 264

Re: According to the theory of continental drift [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 00:35
This post received
KUDOS
sguntaka wrote:
This is MOST SUPPORT type question and we accept the information in argument and any information in an answer choice that does not appear in argument is not right

Hi Sguntaka

I would like to correct you here. First of all this is not “Most Supported” type question but “Strengthen” type. Your answer is correct but the explanations are not convincing and rather incorrect.

Most Supported – asks you to identify the answer choice that is best proven by the information in the stimulus and not vice versa
Strengthen – These question asks you to select the answer choice that provides support for the author’s argument or strengthen it in some way.

Source - Power Score CR

Look at the flow in both the cases

Most Supported – Argument to Options
Strengthen – Option to Argument

Thus, in the question above you cannot reject the new information

Hope this helps !
If you have any other thoughts please let me know

:-D

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 276

Re: According to the theory of continental drift [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 22:34
Its A for me. With the rest we cannot categorically tell that the 2 continents were together.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 264

Re: According to the theory of continental drift [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 00:17
+1 A

It is a strengthen type

Premise - According to the theory of continental drift, in prehistoric times, many of today's separate continents were part of a single huge landmass. As the plates on which this landmass rested began to move, the mass broke apart, and ocean water filled the newly created chasms

Conclusion - It is hypothesized, for example, that South America was once joined on its east coast with what is now the west coast of Africa

Any option which strengthen the conclusion is our answer

A) A large band of ancient rock of a rare type along the east coast of South America is of the same type as a band on the west coast of Africa. (This is our answer as it connects the land of South America to the coast of Africa)
B) Many people today living in Brazil are genetically quite similar to many western Africans. (People might have migrated, cannot be the basis, eliminate)
C) The climates of western Africa and of the east coast of South America resemble each other. (Climate is not dependent upon land but location. Eliminate)
D) Some of the oldest tribes of people living in eastern South America speak languages linguistically similar to various languages spoken by certain western African peoples. (Same as reason B, In pre-historic times, I doubt there were any human beings)
E) Several species of plants found in western Africa closely resemble plants growing in South America. (Plant, again, is a function of climate, eliminate)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: According to the theory of continental drift [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 06:28
getgyan wrote:
sguntaka wrote:

Hi Sguntaka

I would like to correct you here. First of all this is not “Most Supported” type question but “Strengthen” type. Your answer is correct but the explanations are not convincing and rather incorrect.

Most Supported – asks you to identify the answer choice that is best proven by the information in the stimulus and not vice versa
Strengthen – These question asks you to select the answer choice that provides support for the author’s argument or strengthen it in some way.

Source - Power Score CR

Look at the flow in both the cases

Most Supported – Argument to Options
Strengthen – Option to Argument

Thus, in the question above you cannot reject the new information

Hope this helps !
If you have any other thoughts please let me know

Thank you getgyan for correcting me. I referred Manhattan CR and I am learning other question types the book didn't cover.

+1 kudos to you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: According to the theory of continental drift, in prehistoric [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 07:47
A is the strongest evidence supporting conclusion

A) rare type of rocks : same << strong
B) people : quite similar
C) climates : resemble each other.
D) languages : similar
E) plants : closely resemble
Re: According to the theory of continental drift, in prehistoric   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2012, 07:47