Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 06:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Accountant Classification

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Accountant Classification [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2008, 13:57
This is meant to be an open ended questions, but what kind of a classification do Admissions typically put accountants into?

By that I mean the following:

I have seen many posts on here about how engineers, bankers, sales, etc. all have a group that they are placed into. In order for an applicant to be accepted by top schools, they must "stand out" from the applicant pool for his/her group.

Are there many accountants applying to B-School? From what I can tell, having a CPA for an accountant is "more or less" the pinnacle of his/her education. Even becoming a CFO does not require an MBA, and typically the CPA will suffice.

Ultimately, I would like to know who I would be compared against. If there are a bunch of accountants applying, then I'm sure it would come down to distinguishing myself from the rest of the accountants. If accountants are placed with corporate finance people, then that would be good to know.
Current Student
Affiliations: CPA, CFA
Schools: Darden Class of 2012
WE 1: Big 4 Accounting
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Re: Accountant Classification [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 03:59
there are TONS of accountants who apply. probably one of the largest groups right behind banker/engineer/consultant. i'm a cpa at a big 4 applying in 2009 and all of my roommates are big 4 cpas who are also applying. i think the stereotype would be similar to the engineer (good with numbers, bad with people). but there's tremendous leadership potential at a young age at big 4 firms so it's tough to distinguish yourself. try to quantify your accomplishments. it might be a good idea to have your recommenders talk about how you have good "people skills."
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Accountant Classification [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 11:19
i havent met a single classmate yet who came directly from accounting
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Accountant Classification [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 11:54
dabots wrote:
i havent met a single classmate yet who came directly from accounting

Sounds like a pretty diverse program :-D

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Accountant Classification [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 19:09
It seems like on a lot of School admission websites there is a "previous industry" chart which shows the industry that the new admits worked in prior to Business School. A lot just have Finance listed as a previous industry, however some have Accounting as an industry and it seems to be like 2% (or very small) in most cases. Does that mean that very few applicants worked in accounting, or that the school admitted very few. If TONS were applying as stated above, wouldn't the % be closer to 10 to 15%. I mean every Company that I have audited has a significant amount of accountants working for it. I ask because I truly don't know, not to be sarcastic.

I have also heard a similar story as the one mentioned above from my friend that is going to a Top 5 school. He wasn't an accountant, but he said that he felt accountants were "underrepresented" at business Schools right now.
Current Student
Affiliations: CPA, CFA
Schools: Darden Class of 2012
WE 1: Big 4 Accounting
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Re: Accountant Classification [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 03:44
so i said tons of accountants apply, not get accepted. although, i always thought on the "previous industry" stat, some "accountants" would be lumped in with financial services or finance. either way, i don't think it would be anywhere as high as 10-15% of top programs with accounting representation.
Re: Accountant Classification   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2008, 03:44