Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 15:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Accounting PhD chances??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Accounting PhD chances?? [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 11:29
Hey, so I know this is just another "What are my chances" thread but I was hoping you could help me out, at least for therapeutic purposes.

Schools I am planning to apply to: Stanford, Harvard, Wharton, Sloan, Booth, Columbia, Cornell, Yale SOM, Haas, TAMU Mays, Fuqua
3.5 GPA in Accounting from a large state school with a top-10 accounting program (problem)
170 Quantitative GRE, 163 Verbal GRE
Have a BSc in Accounting
Did an audit internship with a Big 4 accounting firm for a spring
Worked 40 hours per week for 4 years as an accounting/budgeting intern for the University to completely support myself through college
My research interests lay, in very broad terms IFRS harmonization and the impact of international affairs on standards convergence
Have a co-authored publication in an A-level political science journal
Primary author on another publication submitted to a B-level accounting journal
Helped write a mainstream International Relations textbook and was acknowledged and cited for my efforts (not an author but I did receive a citation)
Worked as a state-level operative for two presidential campaigns
Served as a TA for a business law prof. for a semester
Volunteered as a high school economics instructor for 8 months in Ghana

I guess the overarching question is, "Is this enough"? I know my GPA is low for the schools I am applying to (though I can probably chalk it up to my working hours...but no excuses!), but are my GRE scores and research/work experience enough to compensate to give me a fighting chance at at least one of these schools or am I reaching?

Thanks for reading yet another such post and your help is greatly appreciated!
Expert Post
Followers: 244

Kudos [?]: 2083 [0], given: 678

Re: Accounting PhD chances?? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2013, 09:35
Expert's post
kordist wrote:
Hey, so I know this is just another "What are my chances" thread but I was hoping you could help me out, at least for therapeutic purposes.

Schools I am planning to apply to: Stanford, Harvard, Wharton, Sloan, Booth, Columbia, Cornell, Yale SOM, Haas, TAMU Mays, Fuqua
3.5 GPA in Accounting from a large state school with a top-10 accounting program (problem)
170 Quantitative GRE, 163 Verbal GRE
Have a BSc in Accounting
Did an audit internship with a Big 4 accounting firm for a spring
Worked 40 hours per week for 4 years as an accounting/budgeting intern for the University to completely support myself through college
My research interests lay, in very broad terms IFRS harmonization and the impact of international affairs on standards convergence
Have a co-authored publication in an A-level political science journal
Primary author on another publication submitted to a B-level accounting journal
Helped write a mainstream International Relations textbook and was acknowledged and cited for my efforts (not an author but I did receive a citation)
Worked as a state-level operative for two presidential campaigns
Served as a TA for a business law prof. for a semester
Volunteered as a high school economics instructor for 8 months in Ghana

I guess the overarching question is, "Is this enough"? I know my GPA is low for the schools I am applying to (though I can probably chalk it up to my working hours...but no excuses!), but are my GRE scores and research/work experience enough to compensate to give me a fighting chance at at least one of these schools or am I reaching?

Thanks for reading yet another such post and your help is greatly appreciated!

For me is a good profile with some weak points BUT the problem ia always this: we can say an opinion but we are not the adcom. at all.

the only thing I suggest is : try, try try, ..........I know that what Im just saying is not of helping but is so.

Good luck

regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Re: Accounting PhD chances??   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2013, 09:35