Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Accounting PhD: Retake GMAT? How to improve quant?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Accounting PhD: Retake GMAT? How to improve quant? [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2011, 06:48
Hi everybody,

I have read many posts on this forum but didn't register until today. I know there are a lot of capable people on site, so I really hope I can get some insights here.

After talking with some of my professors and accessing my want and need for the future, I have decided to pursue an accounting PhD. I am applying this cycle because I absolutely want to get somewhere next year.

My biggest concern right now is my quant background. I have double major Finance and Accounting, and the school I attended (a state school) combined calc 1 with stat 1, then calc 2 with stat 2, into two classes called Quantitative Business Tools I & II (both As), which I don't think are common and probably not competitive. Other classes I have taken are Econometrics and Financial Derivatives (both As). No other advanced math classes. I understand that this is indeed a weakness however with deadline approaching I don't know what I can to do to improve this aspect, or show my potential in my application.

Other concern is my GMAT. I took it last September and got 700 (49Q 38V), and I don't think this is a competitive score. Should I retake it?

My general interest is in tax (international/comparative especially), however auditing or financial also interest me. At this point I don't care for school ranking much. So any reputable school with stipend is good. I am very flexible and trainable.

Other info: I am from China and only came after high school to pursue higher education (got green card already). I like math and love statistics but didn't take more classes during undergrad cause my college charges $$ (international rate was 5 times more expensive) per credit, hence I only took necessary classes for graduation. I have a 3.91 UGPA (graduated August last year), and have worked at a mid-sized firm on the auditing side since the beginning of last year (will have great LOR from them).

Primary school: Northwestern (JD-PHD, took LSAT this June and got 164)

Other schools interested: Duke, UNC, UMichigan, possibly UW (probably not competitive enough for them)

I need more match/safety schools since I definitely want to get in somewhere next year

Any advice is appreciated!!

Thanks for reading this post.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Accounting PhD: Retake GMAT? How to improve quant? [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 19:59
Other info: I am from China and only came after high school to pursue higher education (got green card already). I like math and love statistics but didn't take more classes during undergrad cause my college charges $$ (international rate was 5 times more expensive) per credit, hence I only took necessary classes for graduation. I have a 3.91 UGPA (graduated August last year), and have worked at a mid-sized firm on the auditing side since the beginning of last year (will have great LOR from them).
Re: Accounting PhD: Retake GMAT? How to improve quant?   [#permalink] 23 May 2012, 19:59