Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Nov 2014, 20:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Accuracy of Manhattan GMAT CATs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Accuracy of Manhattan GMAT CATs [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2007, 10:02
So I took my first Manhattan GMAT CAT (I'd previously only done the free PR diagnostic and the OG 11 diagnostic) and got Q50 V42 for a 750. I know the Quant on Manhattan was an absolute doozy--but what about the verbal. I noticed that a lot of the Manhattan questions were just exercises from their book, which was a bit disappointing (tons of like vs. as questions) and the CR was a little bit weird with all their boldface questions.

Also, I saw something about a recalibration of the scores--so does that mean that the score I got is the true diagnostic scores or do I need to adjust my score down?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 340 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2007, 20:36
I just took my first Manhattan CAT, and it was TOUGH! The Quant section asked so many combination, probability, and rate questions that it wasn't even funny! I took a look at my score report and all but 3-4 questions were in the 700-800 range, EVEN after I missed 3-4 questions in a row! I mean, aren't these "adaptive" tests that are supposed to lower the difficulty level when you miss some questions?

I found myself out of time (had only 10 minutes to do the last 10 questions, and went on to miss 8 out of 10 there) in the end of the Quant section. I missed roughly 18 questions, yet still got a 44 (81%) for Quant.

Verbal was just WEIRD, especially after seeing so many OG questions. They way Manhattan asks the verbal questions just sound a bit off. I actually disagree with many of their solutions, especially in critical reasoning. Reading comp also has some pretty strange answers.

Also, as good as Manhattan's Sentence Correction book is, their actual SC questions are HORRIBLE. I mean, I saw at least 5 questions where the ENTIRE sentence is underlined, thus you have to spend a crazy amount of time reading the five answers for the changes, and in the end, the explanation of the right answers weren't even that convincing.

Anyway, after all that rant, my score was 720 (Q44, V41) 96%. Not too bad, considering the only studying I've done so far is the Manhattan SC book and the GMATPrep Test 1 (770 Q50, V44).

I've read somewhere that the Manhattan CAT is roughly 20-40 pts harder than GMATPrep, so the score fits the range. It's just the weirdness of the questions makes me think that I should only use it for practice and not really for learning the Math and Verbal aspects of the GMAT.

Do people agree?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2007, 22:06
kryzak wrote:
I just took my first Manhattan CAT, and it was TOUGH! The Quant section asked so many combination, probability, and rate questions that it wasn't even funny! I took a look at my score report and all but 3-4 questions were in the 700-800 range, EVEN after I missed 3-4 questions in a row! I mean, aren't these "adaptive" tests that are supposed to lower the difficulty level when you miss some questions?

I found myself out of time (had only 10 minutes to do the last 10 questions, and went on to miss 8 out of 10 there) in the end of the Quant section. I missed roughly 18 questions, yet still got a 44 (81%) for Quant.

Verbal was just WEIRD, especially after seeing so many OG questions. They way Manhattan asks the verbal questions just sound a bit off. I actually disagree with many of their solutions, especially in critical reasoning. Reading comp also has some pretty strange answers.

Also, as good as Manhattan's Sentence Correction book is, their actual SC questions are HORRIBLE. I mean, I saw at least 5 questions where the ENTIRE sentence is underlined, thus you have to spend a crazy amount of time reading the five answers for the changes, and in the end, the explanation of the right answers weren't even that convincing.

Anyway, after all that rant, my score was 720 (Q44, V41) 96%. Not too bad, considering the only studying I've done so far is the Manhattan SC book and the GMATPrep Test 1 (770 Q50, V44).

I've read somewhere that the Manhattan CAT is roughly 20-40 pts harder than GMATPrep, so the score fits the range. It's just the weirdness of the questions makes me think that I should only use it for practice and not really for learning the Math and Verbal aspects of the GMAT.

Do people agree?

nothing really has the flavor of GMAT verbal. I find myself getting pissed off when I take any CAT (ESPECIALLY 800score - garbage!!!) because the RC and CR is so different. SC seems similar across the board... you can expect to see whole sentences underlined on the GMAT, so be prepared. But geesh, 800score's CR is totally ridiculous. half of their CR stimuli are literally a sentence or two long. Like 30-40 words. did not seem realistic at all.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2007, 22:27
glad to hear that I wasn't the only one surprised by how different the Manhattan CAT is. Some of the RC were just so long...
VP
VP
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2007, 13:45
To get a better sense of what GMAT questions look like I suggest that you practice questions from OG 11 and OG Math and Verbal workbooks. If you have already gone through them, practice questions from the old paper tests GMAT offers for sale.
Boldface CR questions are becoming more and more common in actual GMAT. If you are doing well on the test, you are very likely to see at least one of those CR questions. Be prepared for the SC questions that are 3 lines long with all the lines underlined. I am actually surprised that you find them unusual because again, if you are performing at the high level, more likely than not you WILL encounter these SCs.
I found MGMAT's RCs to be very close in content tested/structure to the actual GMAT RC questions. In response to your surprise to see long RCs in the MGMAT CAT, I can say that at least 1-2 of the RC passages you will get in GMAT will be somewhat long.
That being said, I do agree with you that MGMAT's quant is on the tougher/more time consuming side but the quant scoring is more liberal, so at the end you still get a good estimation of the score.
I would suggest to continue taking MGMAT CATs and practicing time management, and you will see that the scores you get will be very close to your GMATPrep scores/actual GMAT score.
Good luck!

kryzak wrote:
glad to hear that I wasn't the only one surprised by how different the Manhattan CAT is. Some of the RC were just so long...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2007, 16:53
Thank you for the great tips nervousgmat! I guess I just haven't seen that many 3 line SC questions on the OG nor the GMATPrep, which is what surprised me. RC's were fine, long or not, since I like doing RCs. It's just some of the MGMAT's answers were a bit "iffy", whereas the OG answers I always agree with.

Bold Face CRs, I'll have to practice that more. The answers to those are always so... ambiguous and weirdly phrased.

I definitely plan on taking more MGMAT CATs. The math was tough, but I learned a lot of cool tricks (like consecutive integers, rate problems, etc.) for tough questions that I can use in case I see some of them on the GMAT. And you're right, the scoring is very liberal, so as long as it's a good predictor of my scores, I'll keep on taking it.
  [#permalink] 16 Jul 2007, 16:53