Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Accuracy of Manhattan Gmat tests

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Accuracy of Manhattan Gmat tests [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 06:55
Hi all,

I read on another long post that the accuracy of Manhattan Gmat tests is around -/+ 40 points. Specifically, has anyone had experience taking the tests online and how this correlates with their actual score by test? My score has varied a little depending on the test:

1st Manhattan Gmat test (June 10) 720

2nd Manhattan Gmat test (June 10) 760

3rd Manhattan Gmat test (June 10) 770

4th Manhattan Gmat test (July 10) 680 - this may have been outlier - wasn't in best exam setting

5th Manhattan Gmat test (July 10) - 760

To provide a bit of context, I am hoping to apply Fall (1st and 2nd round) to business schools and have been preparing for some time, though very lightly (i.e.. 1-2 hrs every week) for 6-9 months. Do you think I'm ready to take the test in August given some more heavy studying (the whole weekend for next 3 weekends and ~1-2 hrs/day)?

The 680 I'm hoping is an outlier, though I did not take in an ideal exam setting, I rarely took the others in ideal exam settings either. I would usually take the exam in one setting but sometimes in 2 settings (i.e. pausing time) if something came up, and did not use the full allotted time (usually finished verbal 20-30 mins early but used full quantitative time). I know I need to improve on taking the exams in proper exam settings and plan to for the next ones I take, no excuses.

I took the official GMAC exam (1st one) around a year ago and I got 720, I think.
Thanks very much.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago,Tuck,Oxford,cambridge
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 7

Re: Accuracy of Manhattan Gmat tests [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 10:42
although i havent given the exam yet but lookin at your score i can say that your preparation is going good.
just brush up ur skills a bit more and try to give gmatprep exams before going for GMAT.i think u should spend some more time than rushing up for the exam this month.u can add more to ur score.
MGMAT test verbal is good as compared to MGMAT quant which is considered a bit tough than the quant of real exam.
so score can be +/- here n there.

thanx
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 0

Re: Accuracy of Manhattan Gmat tests [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 11:27
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Bunk,

It sounds like you've been doing very well on your practice tests! Honestly, with the scores you're getting it seems like you're prepared to take the real thing, but I do want to emphasize two points:

1. Definitely take a GMAT prep exam before you take the real thing. Since those tests are made by the same people who make the GMAT, they are always going to be the best at identifying your ability level.

2. You mentioned that you sometimes paused the test, and I know you said you were working on it, but I would emphasize that you really want to practice taking the whole exam and timing yourself exactly as if it were the real thing. So, do both AWAs (even though they don't get graded, there's a huge difference between going into the quant section after having been concentrating for an hour and going in fresh!) then take a timed 8 minute break and do the quant section (timed, with no pauses.) After the quant section, allow yourself a second timed 8 minute break then take the verbal section. Also, we often suggest that you practice at the same time of day that you've scheduled the real exam, so that you can make sure you're used to taking it then. For example, if you were taking your practice tests at 7pm, when you got home from work, and you had scheduled your exam for 8 am on a weekend, your body would be working completely differently!

Those two points aside, though, I'd say you're ready!

Best of luck,
Caitlin Clay

Caitlin Clay | Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

Re: Accuracy of Manhattan Gmat tests [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 17:55
Great scores. :shock: I'm pretty sure you'll crack 750 on the real thing!!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Accuracy of Manhattan Gmat tests [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 05:52
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I agree with Cclay that I need to take the exam in a proper setting. So far, I have done the AWA but probably spend 20 mins on each, and the fact that I have on occasion paused the exam also is not a good way to approach.

Hopefully with these changes though there is not a huge marginal difference in the scores.

One reason I was "forced" to take it in 3 weeks is I realized that if I wanted to have a chance to retake it (just in case - say I get sick on the test day?), and supposedly there is a 31 day period between each test (is that 31 days - e.g. take the test on Day 1 and Day 33?), this leaves just enough time to possibly take a second GMAT test and meet the application deadline for any first round applications. Can anyone confirm that this 31-day rule holds?

Thanks!
Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: Accuracy of Manhattan Gmat tests [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 07:33
You got your info correct! There is a 31 day waiting period between each time you take the exam, and it's good to give yourself that buffer so that you can go into the first exam knowing that if something goes wrong you'll still be able to take it again. It makes the exam-taking experience slightly less stressful!

Best,
Caitlin

Caitlin Clay | Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.28
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

Re: Accuracy of Manhattan Gmat tests [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2011, 09:37
bunk wrote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I agree with Cclay that I need to take the exam in a proper setting. So far, I have done the AWA but probably spend 20 mins on each, and the fact that I have on occasion paused the exam also is not a good way to approach.

Hopefully with these changes though there is not a huge marginal difference in the scores.

One reason I was "forced" to take it in 3 weeks is I realized that if I wanted to have a chance to retake it (just in case - say I get sick on the test day?), and supposedly there is a 31 day period between each test (is that 31 days - e.g. take the test on Day 1 and Day 33?), this leaves just enough time to possibly take a second GMAT test and meet the application deadline for any first round applications. Can anyone confirm that this 31-day rule holds?

Thanks!

could you share your Original GMAT score

[caption=]Remember: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.[/caption]

Re: Accuracy of Manhattan Gmat tests   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2011, 09:37