Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 23:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ACID RAIN

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden School of Business (Class of 2012)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

ACID RAIN [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 10:22
Acid rain and snow result from the chemical reactions between industrial emissions of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides with atmospheric water vapor to produce highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids.

(A) with atmospheric water vapor to produce highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids
(B) with atmospheric water vapor producing highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids
(C) and atmospheric water vapor which has produced highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids
(D) and atmospheric water vapor which have produced sulfuric and nitric acids which are highly corrosive
(E) and atmospheric water vapor to produce highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids

Why is and better than with? Why to produce instead of producing? Many tks. in advance. Lw.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

Re: ACID RAIN [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 10:27
when we are talking about the mixture of two things with water so with is better than "and"
we need to use infinitive form of verb here as producing will unnecessarily make it a present continous action where as it is an that has always been and will always will be there....

I hope i am not wrong

lordw wrote:
Acid rain and snow result from the chemical reactions between industrial emissions of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides with atmospheric water vapor to produce highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids.

(A) with atmospheric water vapor to produce highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids
(B) with atmospheric water vapor producing highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids
(C) and atmospheric water vapor which has produced highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids
(D) and atmospheric water vapor which have produced sulfuric and nitric acids which are highly corrosive
(E) and atmospheric water vapor to produce highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids

Why is and better than with? Why to produce instead of producing? Many tks. in advance. Lw.

Every Problem Has a Sloution So keep working
AB

Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden School of Business (Class of 2012)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: ACID RAIN [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 10:51
Answer is E. But I liked the ing explanation. Tks.

apurva1985 wrote:
when we are talking about the mixture of two things with water so with is better than "and"
we need to use infinitive form of verb here as producing will unnecessarily make it a present continous action where as it is an that has always been and will always will be there....

I hope i am not wrong

lordw wrote:

VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 1

Re: ACID RAIN [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 10:56
between X and Y is the correct idiom.

A & B out

Which is generally preceded by a comma referring to the word right before the comma. Its not either just WV or all oxides and water vapor by themselves produce something.

They react to produce something.

D is clearly unnecessarily long. C is dubious

C & D also use past tense.

E remains.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

Re: ACID RAIN [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 10:59
These IDIOMS are going to kill me how can i alys fail to notice these

Every Problem Has a Sloution So keep working
AB