Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 19:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Acid rain and snow result from the chemical reactions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Acid rain and snow result from the chemical reactions [#permalink] New post 24 May 2004, 08:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Acid rain and snow result from the chemical reactions between industrial emissions of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides with atmospheric water vapor to produce hightly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids.
A
B with atmospheric water vapor producing highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids
C and atmospheric water vapor which has produced highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids
D and atmospheric water vapor which have produced sulfuric and nitric acids which are highly corrosive
E and atmospheric water vapor to produced highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: sc6 [#permalink] New post 24 May 2004, 09:51
chung wrote:
Acid rain and snow result from the chemical reactions between industrial emissions of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides with atmospheric water vapor to produce hightly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids.
A
B with atmospheric water vapor producing highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids
C and atmospheric water vapor which has produced highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids
D and atmospheric water vapor which have produced sulfuric and nitric acids which are highly corrosive
E and atmospheric water vapor to produced highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids

Not Sure ...

"and" is correct
But both C and D doesnt seem right?
I would have picked E if it was "to produce"
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 May 2004, 09:53
B looks fine.

producing highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids participle(adverbial) phrase modyfying the verb result

A) and E) are out because the emmisions do not have any intention of producing acids.
C) and D) use which for restrictive clause. Also not clear to what which refers to.

I hope I am right.
Director
Director

Re: sc6 [#permalink] New post 24 May 2004, 10:27
I thought the construction is somewhat like this:
REACTIONS between (industrial emm of sd and no) AND (atmospheric water vapor) TO PRODUCE
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 May 2004, 00:36
for me,

none of options seems to be right.

"and" is OK here.

i think E would be correct if it is "to produce"
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 May 2004, 08:20
hi all

for this question, i should E. The reason for is the same as srijay 007.

But OA is A

Anyone can explain the answer?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 May 2004, 20:01
Hi chung (me again) .

To answer why A is correct....( you already know why others are wrong). The question here is why E is wrong and Q is right.

A Acid rain and snow result from the chemical reactions between industrial emissions of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides with atmospheric water vapor to produce hightly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids. Correct form.

Read the below example.

The reaction between virus A and virus B, with virus C, created a major problem (viurs A with C, and virus b with C). Reaction occurs between ONE and TWO, with another party . Sentences like, Reaction between virus A and virus B and Virus C is wrong. It is clearly understood and concise to say, Reaction between A and B with C. Perhaps it is mistaken that, the sulfur and ntirogen are collectivly one. It is not. It is individual, reaction is between Sulphur with atmosphr water and Nitrogen along with Atmospheric water.

B with atmospheric water vapor producing highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids - Correct usage, or rather better usage is "reaction between 1 and 2 to produce", if u see the orginal sentence the word RESULT (Past) is used. Hence, "to produce" is better than "Producing". Hence B is Wrong.

C and atmospheric water vapor which has produced highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids - Usage of AND and the flow of the sentence. Wrong.

D and atmospheric water vapor which have produced sulfuric and nitric acids which are highly corrosive - not clear, wordy, crazy consturction. Wrong.

E and atmospheric water vapor to produced highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids- the abscense of "TO Produce"- hence wrong, and usage of AND is also not appropriate., Why, see sentence A explaination. Hence E is wrong.[/b]

I hope my explaination is clear. Correct me if it is wrong.
Regards

Giving another SHOT

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 26 May 2004, 21:09
hi carsen ,

if i change the question to the form below .. what will be the correct choice.. plz check the choice E.

15. Acid rain and snow result from the chemical reactions between industrial emissions of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides with atmospheric water vapor to produce highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids.
(A) with atmospheric water vapor to produce highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids
(B) with atmospheric water vapor producing highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids
(C) and atmospheric water vapor which has produced highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids
(D) and atmospheric water vapor which have produced sulfuric and nitric acids which are highly corrosive
(E) and atmospheric water vapor to produce highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids

official answer for this question is E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 26 May 2004, 22:43
Good one Syamee... The explaination is the same as the old one. I am sure, you would be picking up E this time because u changed the with "To Produce". Well, I wold still stick to A.

15. Acid rain and snow result from the chemical reactions between industrial emissions of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides with atmospheric water vapor to produce highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids.

(E) and atmospheric water vapor to produce highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids - Explaination as follows..

Let us consider one small sentence.

Sulphur reacts with water vapour to produce...
Nitrogen reacts with water vapour to produce...

Combine both, Sulphur and Nitrogen reacts with water vapour ...
The BETWEEN in the sentence lead towards reaction between Sulphur WITH Water vapour, and Nitrogen WITH water vapour. I hope it is clear to some extent.

Pardon me, I do not know a better way to explain.

Giving another SHOT

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 26 May 2004, 23:30

(A) with atmospheric water vapor to produce highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids
(B) with atmospheric water vapor producing highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids
(C) and atmospheric water vapor which has produced highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids
(D) and atmospheric water vapor which have produced sulfuric and nitric acids which are highly corrosive
(E) and atmospheric water vapor to produce highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids

Hi Carsen,

I still think the best choice for this question is E.

Becuase in this question

the idiom is

between ..X and .. Y

here,

X is "industrial emissions of ...."

Y is "atmospheric water vapor"

so i think the best choice for the above question is E.

Correct me if i am wrong in the above explanation....

sammy
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 27 May 2004, 00:44

Hi Samy, I totally agree that the idiom is reaction Between X and Y (i never denied that, please read my earlier post ... :-D )

Put the sentence E in the original sentence...

Acid rain and snow result from the chemical reactions between industrial emissions of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides and atmospheric water vapor to produce highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids - - does it not create a confusion "chemical reation between industrial emissions of Sulfur and nitrogen and atmospheric water vapour .. It sounds like all three together create the product, whereas the by-products are 2, sulphuric acid and nitric acid. Had the result been just acid, then and holds good.

How do we slove a ambiguity like this, does it not make a difference or clear the ambiguity if I add WITH...to separate the Sulfur and Nitro. If there were more choices, perhaps, yes, but only A is the best of all. Hence I wold still choose A.

I hope it was of some help.

[/b]

Giving another SHOT

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 27 May 2004, 02:45

CARSEN..

I am confused..

see the choice A or sentence

Acid rain and snow result from the chemical reactions between industrial emissions of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides with atmospheric water vapor to produce highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids.

is it not meaning ..

the chemical reaction is between the industrial emissions of sulfurdioxide and industrial emissions of nitrogen dioxide..

i think this sentence is meaning that the reaction is occuring between sulfur and nitrogen and NOT sulfur with water or nitrogen with water .. what author of sentence meant to say.

PLZ some body help us Here..

may be akamaibrah is correct person to explain this.

i would still prefer E. i am not confident with A..

sammy
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 27 May 2004, 03:55
Êmm... now this is getting bigger and bigger .... and a little chemistry involved in it..

Sulphur dioxide (SO2) + (water)H2O+ (O) 'Nascent Oxygen'=H2SO4 (Sulphuric acid) :-D

Similarly

NO2+H2O=HNO3 (Nitric Acid) + (H) ) 'Nascent Hydrogen'

Pardon me if the above equation is incorrect, well, we are testing english in here, right ?--- :lol:
This clearly states that water reacts with Sulphur and Nitrogen individually.

:-D
Regards

Giving another SHOT

Director
Director

Re: sc6 [#permalink] New post 27 May 2004, 14:38
chung wrote:
A

I agree with Carsen's logic. My guess is A would have been correct if the author had quoted: "between industrial emissions of sulfur dioxide with atmospheric water vapor and nitrogen oxides with atmospheric water vapor"

I am not sure if it is gramatically ambiguous the way with atmospheric water vapor is stated in A
Director
Director

Re: sc6 [#permalink] New post 27 May 2004, 14:39
chung wrote:
A

I agree with Carsen's logic. My guess is A would have been correct if the author had quoted: "between industrial emissions of sulfur dioxide with atmospheric water vapor and nitrogen oxides with atmospheric water vapor"

I think it is gramatically ambiguous the way with atmospheric water vapor is stated in A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 27 May 2004, 17:38
One of the biggest hurdle in GMAT is, that GMAT does not test perfect english. There are quite a few answers in the GMAT which do not sound right, but they seem to be the BEST of the given choices.

We have to pick the best of the list. If you find an error in 4 out 5, then we would know which one is the correct one. Perhaps, the best would not be PERFECT, but still it is the BETTER than the rest of the choices.

Regards

Giving another SHOT

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 May 2004, 02:06
I agree with you CARSEN.

Your Reasoning is quite good when i saw the question today again.

Thank you for your Patience to make it clear to me.

I completely agree with u.

Sammy
  [#permalink] 28 May 2004, 02:06