Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 20:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Acid rain and snow result from the chemical reactions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Acid rain and snow result from the chemical reactions [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2004, 19:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Acid rain and snow result from the chemical reactions between industrial emissions of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides with atmospheric water vapor to produce highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids.

(A) with atmospheric water vapor to produce highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids
(B) with atmospheric water vapor producing highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids
(C) and atmospheric water vapor which has produced highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids
(D) and atmospheric water vapor which have produced sulfuric and nitric acids which are highly corrosive
(E) and atmospheric water vapor to produce highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids

OA will be followed. Thank you!
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2004, 21:29
venksune wrote:
A? C and D are surely off.

I think A and B can be eliminated at first. Because chemical reactions sould be occured between industrial emissions and atmospheric water vapor, not beteen industrial emissions and nitrogen oxides.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2004, 21:38
Hmm.. i don't care if the answer isn't B, i find it hard to believe that one of the others could be the answer.

B!!!!!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2004, 22:01
Oops, this is getting strange.Let me try to understand this...

Some extract for our understanding:
Scientists discovered, and have confirmed, that sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOx) are the primary causes of acid rain. Acid rain occurs when these gases react in the atmosphere with water, oxygen, and other chemicals to form various acidic compounds. Sunlight increases the rate of most of these reactions. The result is a mild solution of sulfuric acid and nitric acid

Why is B wrong?

Only choice left is E and would be a wild one - Are we all missing something here. I am actually concerned here. :shock:
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2004, 23:19
OA is E.
It is No. 15(page 4) of SC885.

Fitst, I cut off A and B as I mentioned before.
Then, I eliminated D, because "which are highly corrosive" is awkward. It can be simply written as "highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids".
Now, I wonder between C and E. I was reluctant to pick E, because there is no subject which has intention "to produce". How can I pick E instead of C?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2004, 23:37
We have to be watchful if we see 'which'. If 'which' has more than one antecedent - then the whole sentence can contain some error or other. Also, 'has produced' is a wrong verb tense here. What is described here is a phenomenon that can occur any time such reaction happens. 'has produced' sounds as thought it happened once. Completely alters intent of the sentence. Hence C is completely off.

I am still not convinced about E.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2004, 23:38
By saying industrial emissions of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides
and atmospheric water vapor (choice E), it's suggesting that atmospheric water vapor
is emitted by industrial plants !

B would be better, it says industrial emission of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides
with atmospheric water vapor. Now this is very clear, sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides
are emitted, while water vapor is there in the atmosphere.

Venksune, what do you think ?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2004, 23:49
I agree ywilfred...

SO2 + NO reacts with Water vapor is what is right. Refer to the extract from the web on Acid rains. It is not SO2+NO+Water vapor - If this is the right logic then E is fine - else surely wrong.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2004, 23:56
venksune wrote:
We have to be watchful if we see 'which'. If 'which' has more than one antecedent - then the whole sentence can contain some error or other. Also, 'has produced' is a wrong verb tense here. What is described here is a phenomenon that can occur any time such reaction happens. 'has produced' sounds as thought it happened once. Completely alters intent of the sentence. Hence C is completely off.

I am still not convinced about E.

I understand why C is not corrct. This is the case that everlasting truth must be written in present form. Thanks venksune!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2004, 00:14
I think only E could be the answer. There are are no close calls. It is a case of proper use of "between X and Y.". Here X is industrial ommisions of sulphur dioxide and nitrogen oxides and Y is atmospheric water vapor.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2004, 00:20
similarly Y could have been Nitrogen oxide ! I think for this SC, you need to rely on more than just idioms. You have to look at the structure of the sentence as a whole and see if everything fits in, in this case, there is a strong possibility that E suggests water vaopur came from industrial emissions. The best answer must always leave no doubt at any one time.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2005, 23:31
It should be the reaction between A and. Thus A and B are wrong.

C and D are wrong because of the tenses of the which clauses

Therefore E.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - from 885 - 5 [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2005, 16:08
It seems good oone.

It should be E because Between should be followed by and not with. C and D have relative pronoun, which, problem.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
good one [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2005, 16:22
Good question.

Off the bat I almost picked A but as mentioned b4 industrial emissions and atmospheric water vapor need to get together to make something, hence I'll go for E. The others, B,C,D are out for me 'cause to produce works better.

Napoleon : Victory belongs to the most persevering!!!

good one   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2005, 16:22