Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 23:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ACME Midwest Sales Manager: I am unhappy to report that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User
ACME Midwest Sales Manager: I am unhappy to report that [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 22:07
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

45% (02:21) correct 55% (01:22) wrong based on 155 sessions
ACME Midwest Sales Manager: I am unhappy to report that the Midwest sales office has had a difficult quarter, and our office will not lead the company in sales this quarter as we usually do.

ACME Executive: Fortunately, the South sales office has had a strong performance this quarter. They usually account for around 10% of company sales, but that figure has improved to 25% for this quarter.

One flaw in the ACME Executive’s response is that it:

(A) does not address the reasons why the ACME Midwest Sales Office had a bad quarter.
(B) neglects the possibility that overall sales have increased dramatically.
(C) assumes an increase in sales percentage resulted from increased performance.
(D) uses percentage data when he should be using absolute number data.
(E) neglects to consider other sales offices.

Kudos if it helps. Thanks!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 02 Jul 2013, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question, renamed the topic.
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1126 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: ACME Midwest Sales Manager: I am unhappy to report that [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 22:31

(A) does not address the reasons why the ACME Midwest Sales Office had a bad quarter.
This is not a flaw in the reasoning, since this is not what is discussed by the Executive.

Since we are talking about overall percentages, the increase is not something to worry about.

(C) assumes an increase in sales percentage resulted from increased performance.
Correct, maybe the South is experiencing an economic growth or a nearby office has closed, so the South office will have more clients,...

Since we are talking about the office with the most sales, percentages work just fine.

This is not a flaw.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 550 [1] , given: 135

Premium Member
Re: ACME Midwest Sales Manager: I am unhappy to report that [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 22:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
vtran wrote:
ACME Midwest Sales Manager: I am unhappy to report that the Midwest sales office has had a difficult quarter, and our office will not lead the company in sales this quarter as we usually do.

ACME Executive: Fortunately, the South sales office has had a strong performance this quarter. They usually account for around 10% of company sales, but that figure has improved to 25% for this quarter.

The response nowhere needs to address this matter in the given context.

The response is only talking about the performance/sales of the South sales office.The above point doesn't interfere with that.

The response is neglecting the fact that maybe the net company sales had reduced owing to bad performances from other sales offices.
Say, initially, the net company sales was 100 and the south sales office share was 10. Now, if due to bad performances across, the net company sales decreased to say 20, and the south sales office share was 5, then actually this relative increase in percentage wouldn't have resulted in an increased performance.

As both the percentages are related to the same office, the percentage data is correct, for a relative comparison.[Note, that extrapolating this increase in percentage to increased performance is not correct, as discussed above]

This is not required for the given response.He was only talking about the share and performance of the South sales office.

All that is equal and not-Deep Dive In-equality

Hit and Trial for Integral Solutions

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 65

Re: ACME Midwest Sales Manager: I am unhappy to report that [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 23:32
IMO the answer should be D.

I see the argument mentions about improved performance and moves to sales increase from 10% to 25% - but the executive is missing 25% of what... As Mau5 clearly illustrates % doesn't make sense when evaluating sales figures..

The executive should be saying south office last year contributed $10M and this quarter performance leads to its yearly contribution to $25M when west office representative says that they might not be single largest contributor..

For e.g. west contributed $50M to last year total sales of $100M, which is split evenly as $12.5M per quarter might only provide $6.5M this year same quarter. To offset this the south could have provided $6.5M an increase from $2.5M from last year..

KUDOS is a way to say Thank You

2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1162 [2] , given: 118

Premium Member
Re: ACME Midwest Sales Manager: I am unhappy to report that [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 23:38
This post received
KUDOS
Zarrolou and Mau5 have great posts. However, I also want to analyze the question in other way by plugging in number. Hope it helps.

First of all, to solve the “flaw of reasoning”, you must think about the structure of the argument before examining the answer choices.

The structure of this argument is:
MW sales Manager: I’m unhappy to say our office will not lead the company in sales this quarter
Executive: South sales office had a strong performance this quarter, because they improved sales from 10% to 25%

What the Executive means? He applauded the South office, his reasoning is based on “percentage” data to conclude the performance. This is one of the most frequent traps in GMAT CR, so always keep your eyes on this.

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER:

Wrong. Out of scope. The executive does not mention the reasons of weak sales of MW office. Keep in mind, in "flaw of reasoning", new information is NOT accepted. Just use information in the stimulus.

Wrong. TEMPTING. But it’s wrong. Because if overall sales increased, and South office’s sales improved from 10% to 25%  Definitely can say the South office’s performance was as good as the Executive said ==> No flaw here.

Correct. Improvement of percentage does not always mean improvement in performance.
For example:
Before: Total company sales = 100. South office accounted for 10% => Its sales = 10
After: Total company sales = 30. South office accounted for 25% => Its sales = 7.5
Clearly, 25% improvement does not mean anything.

Wrong. Tempting. But it’s wrong, because it is NOT the flaw of this argument. If the total sales of the company increased ==> the use of “percentage” is a good measure.

Wrong. Clearly out of scope. The argument just focuses on the South office’s performance and its improvement in sales percentage.

Hope it's clear.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Last edited by pqhai on 02 Jul 2013, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1162 [1] , given: 118

Premium Member
Re: ACME Midwest Sales Manager: I am unhappy to report that [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 23:46
This post received
KUDOS
nt2010 wrote:

I see the argument mentions about improved performance and moves to sales increase from 10% to 25% - but the executive is missing 25% of what... As Mau5 clearly illustrates % doesn't make sense when evaluating sales figures..

The executive should be saying south office last year contributed $10M and this quarter performance leads to its yearly contribution to $25M when west office representative says that they might not be single largest contributor..

For e.g. west contributed $50M to last year total sales of $100M, which is split evenly as $12.5M per quarter might only provide $6.5M this year same quarter. To offset this the south could have provided $6.5M an increase from $2.5M from last year..

Hi nt2010

I don't think D is correct.

The stimulus clearly says: They usually account for around 10% of company sales, but that figure has improved to 25% for this quarter.
"That figure - 25%" refers to percentage of South sales/ company sales.

D says: uses percentage data when he should be using absolute number data. <== This is a flaw of the Executive?

The executive used % to conclude about performance. His reasoning is correct if total sales of company increases ==> improve % = improve in performance (sales).
Thus, we cannot say D is a flaw of the executive's reasoning.

Regards.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Last edited by pqhai on 02 Jul 2013, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 550 [1] , given: 135

Premium Member
Re: ACME Midwest Sales Manager: I am unhappy to report that [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 23:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
nt2010 wrote:

The conclusion in the response by the ACME Executive is "the South sales office has had a strong performance this quarter." Using percentage data is not wrong,it is the conclusion which the executive has arrived at from that percentage data,which is at fault. Consider a basic statement like this :

Since our share of total company sales has increased from 10% to 25%, therefore our contribution to the company's total sales has increased. Here, the usage of percentage data is correct, and the conclusion following from that data is also correct.

All that is equal and not-Deep Dive In-equality

Hit and Trial for Integral Solutions

SVP
SVP
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: ACME Midwest Sales Manager: I am unhappy to report that [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2014, 05:35
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: ACME Midwest Sales Manager: I am unhappy to report that   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2014, 05:35