Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 04:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ACME’s manufacturing costs for sets of horseshoes include

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 493

Kudos [?]: 2022 [0], given: 30

ACME’s manufacturing costs for sets of horseshoes include [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 09:55
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (03:06) correct 26% (02:13) wrong based on 78 sessions
Without a calculator, solve this problem in 90 seconds.

ACME’s manufacturing costs for sets of horseshoes include a $11,450 initial outlay, and $19.75 per set. They can sell the sets $52.50. If profit is revenue from sales minus manufacturing costs, and the company produces & sells 987 sets of horseshoes, what was their profit?
(A) $20,874.25
(B) $30,943.25
(C) $41,308.50
(D) $51,817.50
(E) $53,624.25

For a discussion of the valuable skill of estimation on the GMAT Quant section, as well as an efficient solution to this problem, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/the-power- ... mat-quant/

Mike :-)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: ACME’s manufacturing costs for sets of horseshoes include [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2013, 07:15
mikemcgarry wrote:

ACME’s manufacturing costs for sets of horseshoes include a $11,450 initial outlay, and $19.75 per set. They can sell the sets $52.50. If profit is revenue from sales minus manufacturing costs, and the company produces & sells 987 sets of horseshoes, what was their profit?
(A) $20,874.25
(B) $30,943.25
(C) $41,308.50
(D) $51,817.50
(E) $53,624.25

For a discussion of the valuable skill of estimation on the GMAT Quant section, as well as an efficient solution to this problem, see:

Their profit was 987*(52.5-19.75) -11.450 ~1000*32 -11,500 ~ 20,000. The answer is A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 53

Re: ACME’s manufacturing costs for sets of horseshoes include [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2013, 02:18
mikemcgarry wrote:

(A) $20,874.25
(B) $30,943.25
(C) $41,308.50
(D) $51,817.50
(E) $53,624.25

Hi Mike,

I followed the link be I didn't understand the concept as to when do you round up and when do you round down?
When you rounded 11450 to 10000 it seems like a lot to round down. I thought that once you did that, you would round
both the other number up to account for it.
Does it even matter? How do you choose?
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 493

Kudos [?]: 2022 [0], given: 30

Re: ACME’s manufacturing costs for sets of horseshoes include [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2013, 11:40
Expert's post
ronr34 wrote:
Hi Mike,
I followed the link be I didn't understand the concept as to when do you round up and when do you round down?
When you rounded 11450 to 10000 it seems like a lot to round down. I thought that once you did that, you would round

Dear ronr34,
As with many things with numbers, you need to develop number sense. Here's a blog about it
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/number-sense-for-the-gmat/
Developing number sense takes time. The more you do math without any calculator, the more your intuition for numbers will develop.

When I estimate, I often try to make things as simple as possible. Numbers with only one non-zero digit are very simple ---- that's a good target for GMAT estimation. Starting with 11,450, the closest number with only one non-zero digit is 10,000. Usually, on GMAT questions, that's a fine level for estimation. It's very convenient, because even if you have to multiply, it's just one-digit arithmetic with some zeros stuck at the end. ---- If you can compensate a round-up with a round-down, that can help, but often even that is not necessary, especially if the answer choices are very far apart.

Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 53

Re: ACME’s manufacturing costs for sets of horseshoes include [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 14:02
mikemcgarry wrote:
ronr34 wrote:
Hi Mike,

Dear ronr34,
As with many things with numbers, you need to develop number sense. Here's a blog about it
Developing number sense takes time. The more you do math without any calculator, the more your intuition for numbers will develop.

When I estimate, I often try to make things as simple as possible. Numbers with only one non-zero digit are very simple ---- that's a good target for GMAT estimation. Starting with 11,450, the closest number with only one non-zero digit is 10,000. Usually, on GMAT questions, that's a fine level for estimation. It's very convenient, because even if you have to multiply, it's just one-digit arithmetic with some zeros stuck at the end. ---- If you can compensate a round-up with a round-down, that can help, but often even that is not necessary, especially if the answer choices are very far apart.

Does this make sense?

Great.
I followed the link and others that were in the post.
but I still sometimes, when the answers are close together and there is not big split, get confused.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: ACME’s manufacturing costs for sets of horseshoes include [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 06:29
mikemcgarry wrote:
ronr34 wrote:
Hi Mike,

Dear ronr34,

Does this make sense?

Yes mike it does make sense and that is what I usually do in this case 987 = 1000
and 52.5-19.75 is just something near 32

And then 11,450 is just near 12,000

So everything comes near 20,000

Also when estimating it is important to try to compensate rounding and also in fractions good to know the heavy division shortcut for some problems that involve raw estimates

Just my 2cents

Cheers!
J :)
Re: ACME’s manufacturing costs for sets of horseshoes include   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2014, 06:29