Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 03:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Acquiring GMAT Tested Skills: Keeping Inspired and Motivated

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Acquiring GMAT Tested Skills: Keeping Inspired and Motivated [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 09:54
Folks

Along with good fortune GMAT prep fundamentally tests magical patience, perspiration, inspiration and motivational aspects in acquiring quants and verbals skills. We all know that; right!

This forum is full of inspring stories and turn arounds. Here is one my favorite if you have not seen it: 500 to 700, my road to MBA: 500-to-700-my-road-to-mba-5919.html It clearly means that success has less to do with previledged upbringing and more about determination, committment & need.

Here are some examples to deliver my point:

1. 60 Minutes; had this real life story perhaps a year back of a rock climber who had to cut his own arm to save his life and get out of death trap (he slipped into thin fringe between two big rocks while climbing)

2. Have a good friend, political science major, heading toward PhD in his career path. He watches God Father each time he needs inspiration; especially when he needs to prepare for exam, write a big paper etc.

3. Another acquaintance; he has to listen "SlimShady" album to get over the threshold. I read somewhere Michael Phelps does something very similar and is a big Eminem fan.

4. Another acquiantance, she fasts for 2-3 days in a row to get her confidence back.

That said, I'd like to ask you what Inspires you? Motivates you? AND how do you COACH yourself to stay inspired and motivated?
Especially one which you has catalyzed your output, focus & determination in wake of failures...

Appreciate your feedback.
DC
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2337

Kudos [?]: 9559 [0], given: 3712

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Acquiring GMAT Tested Skills: Keeping Inspired and Motivated [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 13:09
Expert's post
Great topic 8-)

For me, motivation, esp for a project that spans over several months (such as MBA application and GMAT prep), comes from 2 things:
1. Progress - small victories are the fuel that keeps me going
2. Schedule and Deadlines - I need to have everything scheduled and working towards a deadline as otherwise I will either fall behind or think that I fell behind and that's demotivating

That's really it. Sometimes taking my mind off the project also helps - gives a second energy boost.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Acquiring GMAT Tested Skills: Keeping Inspired and Motivated [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 18:29
Come on Guys!

This piece deserves your valued feedback... from each and every one of you.

Your combined responses could be a high octane fuel for all of us especially when prep stats are reversed on a given day from 95% suddenly to 59% and you are trying to get yourself out of hole.

Lead from the front and share your wisdom...!

PS: bb, As you usual, appreciate your thoughts in keeping the goal honest for us.
Manager
Manager

Re: Acquiring GMAT Tested Skills: Keeping Inspired and Motivated [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2009, 21:15
Well Folks,

Its not worth waiting for you to read it but not contribute... so I am still on to what I believe in...!

Here is one (courtesy shadowsjc: Survivor - Eye Of The Tiger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf45I1ZI ... re=related

so if its still worth your 0.02 c chime in...!

Last edited by DestinyChild on 08 Oct 2009, 21:52, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager

Re: Acquiring GMAT Tested Skills: Keeping Inspired and Motivated [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2009, 21:35
And one more... I Believe I Can Fly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBPBfNlCHio

Although Yolanda Adams is angelic but if you close your eyes and listen to the original R. Kelly version I promise you that it'll give goose bumps; very very uplifting on a down day...!

Thanks to one of my close friends in Malaysia, who I've not seen in 10 years; introduced this one to me. Thank you Aaron JK.

PS: One for the puritans, I also don't condone the life style and choices made by people in their personal lives; enough said...!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 41

Re: Acquiring GMAT Tested Skills: Keeping Inspired and Motivated [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2009, 02:30
I missed this thread

Here are my 2 cents

This is over 8 mins (nothing fancy like the movies....just 100% real life stuff)

Real life quote from Don Harrold (youtube trader i follow)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH820bWPoTs

And this one from the movies (any given Sunday)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO4tIrjBDkk

Cheers!

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Last edited by snipertrader on 09 Oct 2009, 07:15, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Re: Acquiring GMAT Tested Skills: Keeping Inspired and Motivated [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2009, 06:59
snipertrader,

Thanks for more than your 0.02cents.
Awesome entries to our Inspiration Catalogue...!

Hopefully we can make this list long enough for people to pick there favorites for Day of the week or even Day of the Month...! :))

All the very best to you...!

DC
Re: Acquiring GMAT Tested Skills: Keeping Inspired and Motivated   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2009, 06:59