Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 11:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Actual GMAT Extremely lower than CATs--What to do?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg 1YR '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Actual GMAT Extremely lower than CATs--What to do? [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 03:04
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi everyone,

I took the actual test yesterday and since then i'm trying to understand what happened but i really couldn't. I scored unexpectedly lower that all my cats including the Diagnostic. I heard from friends and read that Kaplan Cats are actually harder and i should expect to score higher. I went to the test and i wasn't stressed at all, i was relaxed and confident even while doing the test. I finished almost in time (i selected the answer for the last question but didnt have the time it next). Not only that but i was expected to see 650+ as a score but i got shocked with a 520 ((((((((. I'm very disappointed and i dont know what i should do next.

In my preparation i used Manhattan and Kaplan. I spent June & July studying Manhattan, then I paused for two months, started again in Oct. In Nov i took two weeks intensive course by Kaplan.

I'll share my story and i would appreciate your feedback/suggestion. Please i want your honest opinion. You don't have to say something to make me feel good, i just want to know what i did wrong.

My Cat Scores are as follows:
Date Quant Verbal Total
09/11/2012 MGMAT CAT1 34 35% 31 59% 540 44%
10/10/2012 MGMAT CAT2 42 57% 32 62% 600 62%
11/06/2012 Kapan CAT1 51% 36% 550
11/09/2012 Kapan CAT2 40% 64% 570
11/14/2012 Kapan CAT3 59% 53% 600
12/01/2012 Kapan CAT4 70% 35% 590
12/03/2012 Kapan CAT5 82% 63% 620

My actual GMAT was 520 (38%), Q(41)54% V(21)24%

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post and i look forward to get your feedback.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Actual GMAT Extremely lower than CATs--What to do? [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 06:39
Your Quant is pretty good. Do OG 11-12-13 and Quant Review. Do Questions 50 and Above, since they are harder. Timing is key. make sure you can do every problem under 2 mins. If your over, you need to find a faster way of completing the question. For example, Weighted Avg Problems used to take me 2 min plus. Then my Tutor showed me short cuts where you can do it in less than 20 secs. NO JOKE! So work on timing and you should be able to get 46+ in Quant. Get a good tutor to fast track.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Actual GMAT Extremely lower than CATs--What to do? [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 06:45
Verbal- Read the paper, economist, ny times and make sure you can summarize what your read.
Understand the GMAt SC rules ( ||, Comparison, Verb tense, pronoun.etc..)
CR - Know how to find the conclusion and know how to analyze the different types of CR's.
Again Timing.
Since your Verbal is low. Spend more time on verbal, even though its really boring. Verbal is a battle, don't get discouraged, it will come. I was in the same boat! and trust me, its an amazing feeling once you get into school and you look back on how it was worth all the BS..lol Good luck GUYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Re: Actual GMAT Extremely lower than CATs--What to do?   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2012, 06:45