Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Actual Learning Going On In School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Actual Learning Going On In School [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2007, 04:48
Anybody else tired of hearing things like, "Business school is a joke, all you do is party for two years and network..."

When people talk about an MBA (as in, the actual credential), they usually talk about it like a rubber stamp. And so many people going into business school have this arrogant attitude, "Yeah, it's just something I have to have on my resume, I already know accounting and finance so I'm not going to learn anything."

Am I the only person who hangs out with obnoxious know-it-alls who pretend that you don't actually learn anything at b-school?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Actual Learning Going On In School [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2007, 05:43
johnnyx9 wrote:
Anybody else tired of hearing things like, "Business school is a joke, all you do is party for two years and network..."

When people talk about an MBA (as in, the actual credential), they usually talk about it like a rubber stamp. And so many people going into business school have this arrogant attitude, "Yeah, it's just something I have to have on my resume, I already know accounting and finance so I'm not going to learn anything."

Am I the only person who hangs out with obnoxious know-it-alls who pretend that you don't actually learn anything at b-school?

I have been hearing more of the opposite. Current students tell me this when it comes to class work: "when you are in high school you're the best and you don't even try hard, then college comes and you try a bit harder but you still end up on top, then you come here (MBA program) and you realize that you have to work really really hard just to be average.' I definitely do not expect it to be a joke especially because of my limited business background. Maybe some accountants going back to acounting (or similar) do feel that way though.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

Re: Actual Learning Going On In School [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2007, 06:00
johnnyx9 wrote:

I am rapidly finding an MBA is something that noone around me (including my seniors) has, but every one of them seems to have some firm opinion about.

Even worse, it is an opinion they all feel they should share.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

[#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2007, 06:19
I have had several friends go through and MBA, and believe me, none of them said that its a cakewalk. I have personally seen them work extremely hard (and I am talking local MBAs in Australia , not the ultraelites).

As far as people's opinions are concerned, it always based on their own formative experiences (both bad AND good) in dealing with other MBA people.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Re: Actual Learning Going On In School [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2007, 06:49
3underscore wrote:
johnnyx9 wrote:

I am rapidly finding an MBA is something that noone around me (including my seniors) has, but every one of them seems to have some firm opinion about.

Yeah, everyone does seem to have a strong opinion. And people who have never been to business school feel the need to tell you random things like, "Oh you're going to business school? Well let me tell you, you're going to need a lot of business cards, because when you're in business school you're constantly meeting people and blah blah blah blah blah..."

Oh thanks for the heads up, I didn't have any idea that I'd be meeting people and networking.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2007, 07:50
This reminds me of a quote from the cinematic masterpiece that was Showgirls...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114436/

Zack Carey: I got an MBA for this?

Nomi Malone: What's an MBA

Zack Carey: An MBA is a degree you pick up in college. Its mostly worthless in the real world.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

Re: Actual Learning Going On In School [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2007, 08:05
3underscore wrote:
johnnyx9 wrote:

Opinions are like @$$holes, everyone has one.

On the original question: B-school won't be hard in terms of studying/understanding obscure stuff. It will be hard in terms of juggling 48 hs a day worth of stuff to do to make them fit into just 24 hs a day.

L.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

[#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2007, 08:06
HAHA .. dont diss showgirls, it wasnt all THAT bad

baer wrote:
This reminds me of a quote from the cinematic masterpiece that was Showgirls...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114436/

Zack Carey: I got an MBA for this?

Nomi Malone: What's an MBA

Zack Carey: An MBA is a degree you pick up in college. Its mostly worthless in the real world.
  [#permalink] 20 Jun 2007, 08:06