Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 10:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Actual Score - 610

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Actual Score - 610 [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 16:53
Hey everyone,

I took the actual test today and got a score of 610. Needless to say I am kind of disappointed with my score, I am not giving up on my dream to go beyond the 700 range and go to schools like Carnegie Mellon. 49Q, 25V is the break up of the score.

I am a Masters Student, I have been in the US for almost 5 years and I really did not think Verbal would have been a problem for me, but apparently it is. So I am going on a vacation for about 7 weeks now and thinking to retake in October end - November beginning.

What strategies do you guys recommend? I have the Manhattan SC book, and I am going to purchase the Powerscore CR.

On the real test, I noticed the first and the second RC's were very complex and I wasn't sure about the answers. Any RC book you guys recommend? I am also going to improve on my Quant score, but my main focus will be verbal. I used the Kaplan RC strategy
So Manhattan SC, Powerscore CR, RC book/practice should do it for verbal?

I am giving myself enough time to reach 720.

Thank you for any replies.

Regards,
Harsh.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

Re: Actual Score - 610 [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2010, 03:51
What's optimistic is that you have a huge room for improvement in your verbal. And you've got plenty of time. If you manage to keep your quant at the same level and improve your verbal (which you most certainly will), you have a real chance to break the 700 level.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 53

GMAT Tests User
Re: Actual Score - 610 [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2010, 04:08
You should be able to reach 700 since you have a lot of room to improve your verbal score. But don't neglect the quant part of the exam.

For RC you should make a practice of reading actively. Take short notes while reading any passage. Many experts say that taking notes, even if you are not going to refer to them later on, will help you stay focused. I think this strategy has worked for me.

For CR, you'll need to practice and practice in order to recognize statements and conclusions. Over a period of time you will recognize patterns in the kind of questions and answers. (e.g - 'Best police officers getting most difficult cases', 'best truck drivers getting most difficult routes to drive on'....answers that are out of scope that mention about something 'other')

If you like my post please click +1 kudos on my profile - Thank you!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Losing Motivation? Michael Jordan | Nick Vujicic | Adversity
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Actual Score - 610 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2010, 04:34
Thank you nonameee and akaydee for your reply.

When I saw the score of 610, the very first thought that came into my mind was I can improve a lot in Verbal. And while I was giving the verbal part of the exam, I thought I was doing pretty good. I felt confident about the verbal part...until I saw the score that is. But I am not losing hope or giving up.

I have read posts of people who got 770, 750 and scores in that range. They all seem to mention Powerscore CR and Manhattan SC, both of which I have. For RC though, I will practice reading actively. RC is one part I would surely NOT like to miss out on.

I guess a lot of practice will do it for me. Any other suggestions for the Verbal part?

Thank you,

-Harsh.
Re: Actual Score - 610   [#permalink] 27 Jun 2010, 04:34