Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

AdCom Events: will they even remember me?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 47

Premium Member
AdCom Events: will they even remember me? [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 10:35
First, some background on the context of my question: I have seriously considered an MBA for almost four years...until now, the timing just was not right. This means I have had a lot of time to look at different programs and understanding which schools I want to attend, and why. I have attended countless Q&A webinars and several in-person events.

Most schools are now having individual events on weeknights in downtown L.A., which is about two hours from where I work (due to traffic...). We are in the middle of a huge push at the startup where I work, so making it to these events is both challenging and stressful. I could be spending that time refining my R1 essays.....or at least not cursing at the personal horrible hell that is navigating downtown....

I have seen several postings about the sheer number of people the AdCom will meet on their roadshows. I am wondering, does attending these events help my chances at all, or are they really for those trying to learn more about the schools? If it matters, how can I maximize the benefit of attending?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 68 [1] , given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: AdCom Events: will they even remember me? [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 11:14
This post received
KUDOS
Probably wont remember anything about you. The value added to attending one of these events is to your own application. For example, in an essay that says "Why X school?", you can say "when I met (insert random second year student who you met at the event) and learned all about whatever it is you want to do and why X school is the best."

Meeting adcoms at these events won't do anything for your application, at least not anything positive.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [1] , given: 4

Premium Member
Re: AdCom Events: will they even remember me? [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 20:47
This post received
KUDOS
^^^ Agreed.

The value of going to an info session or visiting a campus isn't the one in a million chance that someone from adcom will remember meeting you when your application comes up in the pile. The value comes in getting firsthand information from adcom, alums, and current students about what their school has to offer and how it has helped them reach their career goals...and if you're able to talk to students offline over a beer you can also usually hear stuff that doesn't fit the party line, such as their gripes about their program or what they like and dislike about it compared to other schools.

Even if the school has fairly minimal representation at the event, it's still easy enough to talk to a student there, get his/her email address, then follow up a week later with an email along the lines of "I know you said you're a former I-banker who wants to go into private equity, but do you have any friends who would be willing to talk to me about their internship experience/job offer/club activities in entrepreneurship and social enterprise?" That's a good way to get more firsthand information, plus if you find that students aren't particularly helpful then that fact may raise a bit of a red flag about the culture of the school.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 47

Premium Member
Re: AdCom Events: will they even remember me? [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 10:06
Ok, good to know. I have spent the last several months reaching out to current and previous officers in the student clubs I would be interested in joining and talking to faculty at the facilities with which I would like to get involved. It sounds like those efforts may have served the same purpose as attending the events.

At some point I kept going to events to hear people ask questions I had not thought about, but I am not at a point where I could answer the questions for the AdCom....which I don't feel is productive and led to me asking the question of if there was value in continuing to attend.

Thanks for your input!
Re: AdCom Events: will they even remember me?   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2012, 10:06