Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Adcom Feedback re:GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CPA, CFA
Schools: Darden Class of 2012
WE 1: Big 4 Accounting
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 4

Adcom Feedback re:GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 06:12
This post received
KUDOS
Hey everyone - I was waitlisted at a bunch of schools this year and recently received some feedback from Tuck admissions that my overall GMAT and quant score were too low. In 2008 I scored 44Q (70%) 42V (95%) and 710 overall (92%). I thought my CPA/CFA background would balance out the low quant score but apparently not. The woman said with so many highly qualified applicants it's often the only differentiating factor and they will more often than not take the person with a 750 over the 710. I suppose it's not surprising that they prefer higher GMAT scores but if you come from a background where there are tons of highly qualified applicants, the magic number is no longer 700. Best of luck everyone.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 32

Re: Adcom Feedback re:GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 17:37
thanks for sharing. kudos!
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Adcom Feedback re:GMAT [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 02:56
This isn't that surprising. I think you can still get by with a 700 as long as your scores are balance (at least 80% percentile in quant and verbal).

Of course, there are so many factors involved that it's impossible to say "get a XXX on the GMAT and you'll get in".

There are people with 750+ who have been rejected at Tuck and the last two years we admitted people with scores in the 500s.

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Re: Adcom Feedback re:GMAT [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 05:07
RF - Obviously a good GMAT by itself will not get you in [referring to your post regarding those that have been rejected with 750+]. I think the point I'm trying to make is that the gmat is no longer a "check the box" type of thing at 700. I was relying on other strengths in my application (leadership, teamwork, international experience, unique service, etc.) to stand out and didn't view the gmat as a differentiator.
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Adcom Feedback re:GMAT [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 05:44
I don't think adcoms ever really viewed 700 as some magic score cutoff or check box on the application. That seemed to have come more from MBA internet forums (including this one) that gave the score of 700 such mystique. If you look at most top schools average scores, they're just above 700, meaning there's a good portion of scores below 700. At Kellogg, which details out GMAT distribution of the class, about 1/3 of the class scored below 700, and nearly 10% scored below 640.

So yes, all other things being equal, adcom will prefer the higher GMAT score. But since we're talking about people here, the probability that you'd have two applicants who are exactly the same except for GMAT score is pretty slim.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Re: Adcom Feedback re:GMAT [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 06:50
i think the bottom line is that adcom told me to retake after a 710. if you're a professional bowler or the inventor of silent velcro, then don't listen to this advice. if you're a big 4 accountant with a well rounded application, this may apply to you. again, there are no hard and fast rules.
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 63

Premium Member
Re: Adcom Feedback re:GMAT [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 14:25
I have the same GMAT score and split with significant CFA progress. I thought for awhile my 710 would be good enough, but recently have decided to retake for higher. Your story confirms my beliefs that scores which are "average" are no longer good enough for an oversubscribed demographic at top schools. Thank you so much for sharing!

Re: Adcom Feedback re:GMAT   [#permalink] 15 May 2010, 14:25