Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 23:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Added to the increase in hourly wages requested last July,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Nationality: Indian
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q V0
GPA: 3.36
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: please explain [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 23:44
Thanks for the detailed explanation Sarai. E is the best. D has "were" which incorrectly refers to the singular "increase".
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: please explain [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 20:10
Can someone explain why A and B have modifier problem and not E?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: please explain [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 21:00
Good question... Chose E..
The explanations helped in gaining more clarity..
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: please explain [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 23:34
Thanks SaraiGMAXonline.

I chose E, because of unnecessary use of 'that' in the option D.

Do you think, in such questions, "conjunctions (ex. 'that' in option D)" should be avoided unless there is a case that all other options have even more severe errors.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: please explain [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2011, 04:15
Agreed with E and D

D is less concise than E so E
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Re: please explain [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 23:05
@SaraiGMAXonline

Isn't "In addtion to.." also modifying employees just like in option (A) ?

I was thinking more along the grounds that A,B are gone because Added to...is something of the past...but what the employees are doing are " now seeking an expanded program... " which seems to be present....so it seemed like a tense confusion...D is wrong because of what u said..."the increase" is singular so "were" is wrong...

Shake the Pillars of Heaven!!!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: please explain [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 02:05
Tense problem in D. E is correct.

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 165

GMAT Tests User
Re: Added to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 21:06
Even though I have marked E, I don't agree with Sarai explanation why (d) is wrong. I have marked d wrong for some other reason.Please correct me if I am wrong

Explanation of Sarai on (d)....

The relative clause "that were requested" should refer to the increase (singular) that was requested.

But what I know about "that" - "that" cannot modify a full clause, but it can only modify the noun just preceding it. Here "that" is modifying "wages" and not "increase" , hence were is correct here.
Why I would say D is incorrect because D says
"In addition to the increase in hourly wages that were requested last July, ... "
This means wages were requested last July, and not that the increase was requested in July..

This logic comes from the same rule I mentioned before - "that" cannot modify a full clause, but it can only modify the noun just preceding it. Here "that" is modifying "wages" and not "increase"

Please correct me if I am wrong in the explanation

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q V

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: please explain [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 23:42
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
You've done a great job guys! To summarize the issues in each answer...

Added to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, the railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.

(A) Added to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, the railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.
Always try to understand what the very first word or couple of words in the sentence are doing. "Added" is a past participle (V3), which is a descriptive word, like an adjective. So we are opening the sentence with a subject modifier that suggests that the subject of the sentence is the thing that was "added". But our subject is employees, and employees were not "added" to anything, so we can stop reading here.

(B) Added to the increase in hourly wages which had been requested last July, the employees of the railroad are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.
Same subject-modifier problem as in A. ALSO, NOTE: There is no comma before the "which"!! "Which" must be preceded by a comma. The only exception is when you have a preposition+which (ex. to which, from which, by which, with which...etc.) This is the ONLY time "which" does not need to be be preceded by a comma.

(C) The railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits added to the increase in hourly wages that were requested last July.
"program of retirement benefits added" indicates that the program really was added. Similarly "a cake baked on Sunday" is a cake that really was baked. But the program was not added; it was sought.

Also, the relative clause "that were requested" should refer to the increase (singular) that was requested.

(D) In addition to the increase in hourly wages that were requested last July, the railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.
The relative clause "that were requested" should refer to the increase (singular) that was requested.

(E) In addition to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, the employees of the railroad are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.

"The increase... requested (V3)" is correct. The play between "employees of the railroad" and "railroad employees" in D is there only to distract you from the major issues.
[/quote]

Honestly,
got confused between D & E.
Now,have a clear head.
Option E :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Added to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2012, 23:25
What is the difficulty level of this question ??

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 491 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Added to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 05:35
Expert's post
Verbal experts. Need your help.
Isn't "in addition to the increase in hourly wages" modifying "the employees"?

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 4

Re: Added to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 05:41
Expert's post
Marcab-

To answer your question about the into part of the section, not all leading phrases/clauses modify the subject. My first sentence here is a good example. If I wrote the sentence differently, it would modify the subject. Here you go: "Answering the question about leading modifiers, I wrote that not all leading phrases/clauses modify the subject." The GMAT uses participles at the start of the sentence to create leading phrases that modify the subject ("answering" above is a present participle).

If you go through OG questions, you will see plenty of examples of leading phrases (ending with a comma) that are providing context for the sentence and not modifying the subject. For example, the GMAT introduces plenty of sentences with date references: By 1840, Since 1830, etc.

In the question from this thread, "Added to..." is acting (incorrectly) as a modifier for the subject. When the GMAT uses the abstract "In addition to..." the introductory phrase adds context to the beginning of the sentence instead of modifying the subject.

Here is a thread from another question that displays how introductory phrases can pivot between context and modifier: based-on-the-growth-rates-of-large-modern-reptiles-such-as-76931.html

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 491 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Added to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 19:35
Expert's post
Hey Kyle.
Thanks for the explanation. Even though, I was familiar with the question (Based on....), I didn't look with that perspective. Your explanation just made my life less miserable. Many many thanks.
By the way, did you complete your quantum physics? :P

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Director
Director
Followers: 111

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Added to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 00:28
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 70

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Added to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 23:07
I'm confused with the tenses here...suppose if we had following two options

X) In addition to the increase in hourly wages that was requested last July, the railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.
Y) In addition to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, the railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits

Basically requested vs. was requested. Which one is better?
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 4

Re: Added to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2014, 12:36
Expert's post
b2bt wrote:
I'm confused with the tenses here...suppose if we had following two options

X) In addition to the increase in hourly wages that was requested last July, the railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.
Y) In addition to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, the railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits

Basically requested vs. was requested. Which one is better?

Actually, this isn't a verb tense issue, it's verb voice. Both options are in the past tense but they shift between passive and active voice: was requested (passive) and requested (active). The GMAT doesn't seem to have a preference between the two, so either one would be fine.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: Added to the increase in hourly wages requested last July,   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2014, 12:36