Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admission Criteria: Current Salary?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q V0
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.7
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Admission Criteria: Current Salary? [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 07:54
ilya.b wrote:
What if the candidate's salary is on the same level or even above the top school graduates' average? Can it be a red flag?

For a career-changer, the post-MBA salary can in fact be lower than the pre-MBA one. The point of getting an MBA is in doing something different and it's a long term investment with a negative ROI within 3-5 years.

I believe the admissions might crunch the numbers and ask a question why this guy needs an MBA at all.

This is actually one of my exact concerns. I'm sure (I hope?) it's not a huge deal, but I'm currently at a salary/compensation level higher than a post MBA, as I'm in consulting at a post MBA level. However, I'm going to business school to shift to a new industry, which has a starting salary that is lower than my current one. Wouldn't that damage a school's rankings, and perhaps create pause for concern for the admissions team? Or am I overthinking this?

Would be great to hear from someone with experience in admissions on this one.
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Haas '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 1

Re: Admission Criteria: Current Salary? [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 08:48
Diplomat wrote:
This is actually one of my exact concerns. I'm sure (I hope?) it's not a huge deal, but I'm currently at a salary/compensation level higher than a post MBA, as I'm in consulting at a post MBA level. However, I'm going to business school to shift to a new industry, which has a starting salary that is lower than my current one. Wouldn't that damage a school's rankings, and perhaps create pause for concern for the admissions team? Or am I overthinking this?

Would be great to hear from someone with experience in admissions on this one.

I’m no expert, but I don’t think you guys have anything to worry about. Think of all the I-bankers who have “seen the light” and now want to go into non-profit management or something similar. I don’t think b-schools look down on them at all.

I get the impression that there are a lot of people out there applying to schools as a way to get into consulting, I-banking, or PE. That’s great, and schools like that, but they also like diversity. By coming from one of those industries and looking to switch to something new, you can show the school that not only are you different and passionate about something else but that you can also help your peers that are aspiring to become consultants. You can help with practice case interviews, give tips for networking, etc. Wouldn’t schools love that?

Also, while I know there’s a “Change in Salary” stat that floats around, I think the more important stat is the average salary of graduates, which ignores prior salary. In the back of their heads, wouldn’t adcoms know that if you can’t find a job in your new industry (or you realize you want to pay off your debt quickly), you’d have a better shot than most at landing a high-paying job like your current one?

If you’re concerned, just make sure your story is clear and convincing. If you can show that you’ve really thought about it and have already made steps to learn about / experience this new industry then I’m pretty sure your high-salary background can only help you.
Re: Admission Criteria: Current Salary?   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2012, 08:48