Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 19:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Addressing a Low GPA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Addressing a Low GPA [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 13:01
Hi Folks,

How would you go about addressing a fairly low undergraduate GPA? I am interested in attending a Canadian B-school in about 2 years and I would like to take some initial steps to downplay my low GPA. I went to a reputable Canadian university and received a modest 65% cGPA.

I completed a 1 year post-graduate certificate after earning my degree, mainly HR related courses (10 classes). I made sure to take Financial and Management Accounting and I obtained an overall 3.5 cGPA as an alternate transcript. I have obtained a relevant designation in HR to show my commitment towards professional advancement in my chosen field. After my MBA, I would like to get into Human Capital Consulting or Executive Compensation.

I have about 2 years worth of work experience as an HR Analyst in Compensation at a top 50 employer in Canada. I have yet to write the GMAT but I am obviously aiming for >600. I know this will be a struggle as I have not looked at this sort of material in some time.

However, is there anything else I can do to mitigate my low GPA outside of doing well on the GMAT? Or, should I solely focus my attention on the GMAT in the next few months?

Any insight you may have would be greatly appreciated. My target schools are Schulich, Rotman, McGill, Ivey, McMaster, UBC, and Queens.

Thanks,
Ssing3
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Addressing a Low GPA [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 19:58
I had a lower GPA than I would like, and I took seven classes (five quant focused), got a 4.0, and addressed it in the optional essay. You've done that, but you also need great work experience/EC leadership and a solid GMAT. That's my take.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Addressing a Low GPA [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 09:23
Hi Ssing3. Thank you for sharing a great question.

Another strategy for overcoming a low GPA is by gaining an extraordinary community involvement leadership experience... If you are looking for a fantastic experience that will boost your b-school app strategy, consider our professional group, USA Leadership Corps (www.usaLeadershipCorps.org) .

USALC partners with pre-MBAs who are looking to build their consulting, entrepreneurship, and/or community-involvement resumes by leading part-time volunteer nonprofit strategy consulting projects. Please visit our website to learn more.

Thank you & good luck.

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Addressing a Low GPA [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 21:13
I have the same issue and I received several pieces of advice:
1) sign up for some classes, even if they will not be finished by time you apply, you can let them know you are signed up. take courses that you are weak in on your transcript. Calculus is most important according to my consultant.
2) I just sort of mentioned this in another message, but your recommenders can speak to your strong skills - if you come froma finance background but did poorly in quant classes, they can talk about how you are very strong in this area
3) try to do well on GMAT
4) you might want to discuss in optional essay but do not make excises or sound like cry baby - just explain what happened!
Re: Addressing a Low GPA   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2011, 21:13