Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 21:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Adjective clauses for a noun with prepositional phrase

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 27

Adjective clauses for a noun with prepositional phrase [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 17:53
The age of the tiger, which lives in sunderban forest, is 15 years.
The age of the tiger, which is 15 years, is a very small number.

The table of contents, which appear on the first page of a book, is 25 pages long.

First two sentences are correct since the meaning is conveyed properly.
What about the third sentence? Is it correct? I feel that "which" may refer either to contents or table.

Can somebody please clarify this?
Are there any general rules which i can use to spot the pronoun antecedent ambiguity? (Just a blind rule if i am helpless over something in the exam).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 6

Re: Adjective clauses for a noun with prepositional phrase [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 10:48
Original example: The table of contents, which appear on the first page of a book, is 25 pages long.

When the relative pronoun "which" appears after a comma, it can modify a noun or a noun phrase. The context and intended meaning of the sentence will determine, in a clear manner, whether "which" modifies "table of contents" or just "contents." In the given example above, the sentence will not make sense if "which" modifies "contents" because that would mean that "contents" (rather than "table of contents") appear on the first page of a book. The right thing is of course that "the table of contents appears on the first page of a book.

We can also use subject-verb agree to see why the above sentence is wrong. The plural verb "appear" is a wrong match for the singular noun phrase "table of contents."

The right sentence should thus read:

The table of contents, which appears on the first page of a book, is 25 pages long.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

Posted from my mobile device Image

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Re: Adjective clauses for a noun with prepositional phrase   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2012, 10:48