Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 16:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

adjective v/s adverb

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 87

GMAT Tests User
adjective v/s adverb [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2011, 12:16
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:02) wrong based on 1 sessions
Can you please tell me what is fewer,less, intelligent and students in sentence 1 and 2. which ones are adjectives, nouns and adverbs ?

fewer is modifying intelligent students in sentence 1 but ajectives dont modify adjectives and only adverbs are suppose to modify adjectives...since noun in sentence 1 is students and intelligent is adjective ...

similarly in sentence 2 .

1. My class has fewer intelligent students.
2. My class has less intelligent students.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 88 [2] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: adjective v/s adverb [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2011, 13:13
This post received
KUDOS
Hi

You might want to keep the following rule in mind regarding the use of fewer and less.

Rule
'Less' is used with uncountable nouns. E.g. - less water, less happiness, less money, etc.

'Fewer' is used with countable nouns. E.g. - fewer cards, fewer people, fewer companies, etc.

Now, coming back to your question:
In sentence 1, 'fewer' is modifying 'intelligent students' and not just the adjective 'intelligent'. Hence it's basically saying that I have fewer number of intelligent students in my class (say 2 out of 10 students)

In sentence 2, 'less' is only modifying the adjective 'intelligent' and is basically saying that students in my class have a lower intelligence level in general.

This is a perfect example of how the meaning of a sentence changes when you actually think that both the sentences sound/mean same.

Hope this is helpful. :)

Cheers!

MBA Candidate 2015 | Georgetown University
McDonough School of Business

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 87

GMAT Tests User
Re: adjective v/s adverb [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2011, 13:19
sudish wrote:
Hi

You might want to keep the following rule in mind regarding the use of fewer and less.

Rule
'Less' is used with uncountable nouns. E.g. - less water, less happiness, less money, etc.

'Fewer' is used with countable nouns. E.g. - fewer cards, fewer people, fewer companies, etc.

Now, coming back to your question:
In sentence 1, 'fewer' is modifying 'intelligent students' and not just the adjective 'intelligent'. Hence it's basically saying that I have fewer number of intelligent students in my class (say 2 out of 10 students)

In sentence 2, 'less' is only modifying the adjective 'intelligent' and is basically saying that students in my class have a lower intelligence level in general.

This is a perfect example of how the meaning of a sentence changes when you actually think that both the sentences sound/mean same.

Hope this is helpful. :)

Cheers!

Sudish,

I know the difference between fewer and less but can you explain in sentence 1 if 'fewer' is modifying 'intelligent students'

than fewer should be an adverb correct and not an adjective since adjectives cant modify adjectives ?

Also, in sent 2 'less' is only modifying the adjective 'intelligent' so less should be an adverb too , right for the same reason ?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 47

GMAT Tests User
Re: adjective v/s adverb [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2011, 19:18
Hey,

less is an adverb modifying Intelligent.

Here our intention is to stress on the amount of intelligence.

But fewer is an adjective. This is because our intention is to modify the noun students. Our intention is to notify the readers that the number of students are few. So we take the adjective route.

So it depends on the meaning.

D- Day December 30 2011. Hoping for the happiest new year celebrations !

Aiming for 700+

Kudo me if the post is worth it

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: adjective v/s adverb [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2011, 23:03
In the first sentence, 'fewer' is an adjective since it is modifying the noun 'students' even though it appears before the word 'intelligent' which is another adjective. As I had mentioned earlier, this is because it means to quantify the number of students in the class who are intelligent.

However, in the second sentence, 'less' modifies the adjective 'intelligent' and hence is an adverb. As mentioned, this sentence aims to tell you that the students in the class have a lower intelligence level in general.

Hope this answers the specific question you had in mind? :)

Cheers!

MBA Candidate 2015 | Georgetown University
McDonough School of Business

Re: adjective v/s adverb   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2011, 23:03