Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 02:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

admission blues!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

admission blues! [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2006, 22:42
hi all
i scored a 730 in GMAT, very recently.
So i feel I have fulfilled one criterion but the battle is not even half-won yet.
I need to cover a great distance with the apps and make sure that my essays are appealing enough for the adcomm to pick me :)

any guidance whatsoever will be greatly appreciated.
some questions which i have as of now:
- what does the adcomm look for in the essays
- is there a specific trend
- does being frank in your essays help

thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2006, 07:13
Great work on the GMAT, now comes the fun part.

My advice would be for you to start thinking about your story and how you are going to position yourself. What are you defining moments, what are you career goals (goals beyond the next five years and more specific than the generic "i want to be CEO") Specifically how you intend to go about achieving these goals, how would you get to where you want without an MBA? How do all of these stories fit together and make you stand out? How will your reccomendations fit in with these stories? Talk to your colleagues and get their insight to see if it fits with your own personal relfection of yourself. How does you story fit in with the type of students your target school(s) typically look for?

I spent a month or two just thinking about questions such as these before even starting my essays. I would jot down notes and such just to capture my thoughts. Then when it came time to write the actually essays they flowed very easily. Writing your essays should be a very introspective exercise and the best essays are almost always those that demonstrate this degree of personal reflection.

Best of luck.

B.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

revvin up! [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2006, 08:53
hey thanks B
i guess that does make sense - in fact i was about to start up on jotting down the points and maybe over the next 2 weeks ill do just that.
i just find it quite funny that even though i know where i am headed it doesnt come easy to put that down in words. :)

anyhow :)

thanks again
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2006, 05:49
Honnestly I mainly enjoyed the Essays part compared with the Gmat section. Gmat was the worst thing that I've ever done for my application because I've not enjoyed doing this and also mainly because I took the test 4 times :roll:
For your essays, before to do anything you should llok at yourself in an honnest way and try to see what are your strong points and your weaknesses. The idea is to point out your strengths and to make your weaknesses look better.
Usually you will always have 3-4-5 questions for each school, try to see how you can answer those essays and at the final show all your best qualities and strengths...don't spend 2 essays on the same thing, it's useless and don't forget that actually 4 questions to show your entire profile to the board of admissions is not so much, you need to be precise and especially very concise, that's why I've always found that Stanford Essays were the best because there are only 2 of them and it's very difficult to attract the attention by only answering 2 questions :wink:

There is no candidate that is not interesting, however it definitely depends on which angle you choose to introduce yourself and this also depends on which kind of schools you are targeting. Take your time concerning your strategy, that's the most important point.

I am sure many members would also be able to give you suggestions if needed, however we would need more information about your profile...
Good luck anyway
  [#permalink] 29 Jun 2006, 05:49