Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 23:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admission Consulting firms

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2006, 08:04
Main goal is get into a school with best possible E-coast or int'l consulting placement:

Too tough:
HBS - Would love to go, but that app requires alot of work, plus the odds are too long
Stanford - Not interested in W-coast, plus odds are too long

Also out:
MIT - heavy quant focus scares me; doesn't help to spread my risk; poor consulting placement for a super elite
Chicago - heavy quant and finance focus and doesn't spread out my risk
Tuck - Too small, too remote, to family oriented

Deffinite:
LBS - great location; great access to my job market of choice
INSEAD - perfect school for what I want for my career but would prefer a 2-year school
Kellogg - great school for my career goals but location could be better
Wharton - my official "super long-shot" school but mid-atlantic is less preferable to NE or Europe
Columbia - great placement numbers but nervous about finance focus and rep as a school where IBankers get their ticket punched
Ross - great football school with large alumni base; less preferable because of location and lower placement record compared to the above

Maybe:
Duke - really don't want to move to SE but its a rock-solid school; easier to get in; not great placement for what I'm looking for
Darden - same thoughts as Duke; too small
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2006, 10:10
With regards to using admission consulting firms.. at the LBS infosession, the current student particularly said dont use adcoms. The schools catch that immediately...

I also asked some alumni.. and they said dont use them..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1528 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2006, 10:17
dukes wrote:
Main goal is get into a school with best possible E-coast or int'l consulting placement:

Too tough:
HBS - Would love to go, but that app requires alot of work, plus the odds are too long

Also out:
MIT - heavy quant focus scares me; doesn't help to spread my risk; poor consulting placement for a super elite

Deffinite:
INSEAD - perfect school for what I want for my career but would prefer a 2-year school
Wharton - my official "super long-shot" school but mid-atlantic is less preferable to NE or Europe
Columbia - great placement numbers but nervous about finance focus and rep as a school where IBankers get their ticket punched
Ross - great football school with large alumni base; less preferable because of location and lower placement record compared to the above

Maybe:
Duke - really don't want to move to SE but its a rock-solid school; easier to get in; not great placement for what I'm looking for

Kelloggs location could be better? It's 20 minutes from downtown Chicago...
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2006, 11:02
Hjort wrote:
Finally, my favorite posts! Opt out floor to ceiling portfolio selection!

Yale- I would not really consider New Haven the middle of nowhere. UVA is at least as much middle of nowhere compared to New Haven. If you travel 75 miles from New Haven you are in one of the greatest cities in the world. If you travel 120 miles from Charlottesville, you reach a city with famous buildings rising up from a swamp.

I agree that Charlottesville is in the middle of nowhere as well. But at least it isn't as cold (as Yale, Dartmouth, Cornell) :) Everything feels like a chore when it's freezing, so remote areas feel doubly so when there is 3 feet of snow on the ground. I have been to Charlottesville twice; once in the fall when it was really nice there and once in the spring when they hosted the country-wide law school softball (and beer) tournament. Good times. I am wary that at Darden, if I have to largely conduct my own west-coast job search, it could much more difficult if there are no direct flights.

Hjort, we all look to your clusters breakdown as our guide.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2006, 11:05
rhyme wrote:
dukes wrote:

Too tough:

Also out:

Deffinite:

Maybe:

He didn't say so but it looks like he's targeting jobs in Europe? He said he'd prefer to go to school in NE or Europe. I do think there are probably as many direct flights to Europe from Chicago as there are from NY; well enough anyways. Ann Arbor is a different story. Access to the Detroit airport is good, but don't expect to find a lot of direct flights to Europe.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2006, 11:24
willget800 wrote:
With regards to using admission consulting firms.. at the LBS infosession, the current student particularly said dont use adcoms. The schools catch that immediately...

I also asked some alumni.. and they said dont use them..

Did they elaborate? I find this a bit incredulous considering almost every reputable admissions consulting firm is made up of ex-adcom members. I guess it would depend on the approach. I'm sure there are some peeps who will write essays for applicants and that's totally unethical but I don't see anything wrong with having someone read over essays that you've written yourself and offer strategic guidance.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2006, 12:08
Well the current student just said dont use them
The senior marketing manager who was giving the presentation later on said not a good idea because they can see through the essays not written by students
the alumni said - be yourself, and get essays reviewed for grammatical stuff.. dont use strategic guidance etc.. there is no right or wrong essay...

thats all i got out of it
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2006, 13:53
Quote:

The location is fine. I would just prefer to be in NY, Boston, or London. For job search reasons mainly.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2006, 16:06
willget800 wrote:
Well the current student just said dont use them
The senior marketing manager who was giving the presentation later on said not a good idea because they can see through the essays not written by students
the alumni said - be yourself, and get essays reviewed for grammatical stuff.. dont use strategic guidance etc.. there is no right or wrong essay...

thats all i got out of it

I think it depends on the applicant honestly. If you are a 6.0 essay writer and use someone for strategic assistance (i.e. this story over that story) thats one thing. If you are a weak writer and end up with gramatically perfect essays that don't support your verbal score, I think it's more obvious.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 05:41
rhyme wrote:
I think it depends on the applicant honestly. If you are a 6.0 essay writer and use someone for strategic assistance (i.e. this story over that story) thats one thing. If you are a weak writer and end up with gramatically perfect essays that don't support your verbal score, I think it's more obvious.

Rhyme, you scared me. Now I dare not submit my perfect essays anymore...(know why they are perfect, don't you?)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 06:08
darren1010 wrote:
rhyme wrote:

Rhyme, you scared me. Now I dare not submit my perfect essays anymore...(know why they are perfect, don't you?)

Yours were fine...

If you look back at what I suggested - it was primarily strategic (i.e. the club suggestion). All I did was tweak some words, suggest some topics which you integrated yourself (on your own) and clean up slightly for clarity. It's still 90% all your own words.

In the above, I'm talking more about the people who clearly don't have a grasp of the English language - sentences that are missing verbs or have verbs subject verb issues like "I going to study finance" or huge clarity issues like "I know the best for me is MBA because demanding program is the study best for me." (a real sentence). In that guy's case, I PMed him that I could edit this, but that his English was poor, and if we truly corrected it, it would likely be obvious. He wrote back he had to write most of them by using a babelfish-like translator.

Your's didn't have any of that. Your sentences were gramatically correct, mostly well written and clear. Furthermore, your story in your optional essay VERY strongly supports your improved English skills.

Personally if I had to pick between submitting essays that were clear vs essays that are incomprehensible, I know which one I'd submit. (Not that yours were unclear, I mean for the people who really truly don't know English)

I wouldn't worry about it - but you should submit whatever you feel comfortable submitting.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 21:01
May I ask you why MIT scares you?
:-D
Intern
Intern

Essay Editing Services [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 13:58
Has anyone used essay editing services from any of these sites ?
accepted.com
clearadmit.com
mbaexchange.com

I am planning to take services of one of these for fine tuning my essays. any reviews regarding this will be very helpful.

Thanks,
D.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: Essay Editing Services [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 14:00
world464 wrote:
Has anyone used essay editing services from any of these sites ?
accepted.com
clearadmit.com
mbaexchange.com

I am planning to take services of one of these for fine tuning my essays. any reviews regarding this will be very helpful.

Thanks,
D.

I have friends who have used mbaexchange.com and speak very highly of it. I spoke to mbaexchange for an hour once and was impressed as well (though I have no idea how good their services are).

As for the others, I dont know. Accepted.com strikes me as a chop shop - volume volume volume. Mbaexchange seemed like the smallest and most "personalized" service .... but I haven't used any of them so I'm sort of shooting from the hip here.
Intern
Intern

Re: Essay Editing Services [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 08:44
Thanks for your inputs rhyme! I am going with MBAexchange.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 10:04
Good luck. But don't expect they will make your application shine. I dealt with 3 different consulting companies and eventually dropped them all. Buy a book for $30 and you will get essentially the same. You will certainly need an editor for your essays, but this is another and much cheaper story.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 12:10
deowl wrote:
Good luck. But don't expect they will make your application shine. I dealt with 3 different consulting companies and eventually dropped them all. Buy a book for $30 and you will get essentially the same. You will certainly need an editor for your essays, but this is another and much cheaper story.

Can you list out some only essay editing sites? I do wanna avoid any mechanical problem.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 15:58
gmat_crack wrote:

Can you list out some only essay editing sites? I do wanna avoid any mechanical problem.

Sorry, cannot help you here. I used a local private editor. However, you may not need an editor at all. I am not a native speaker and my written English skills are quite weak. So I do need an editor to check whether my language structures have the sense I meant. If you are a native and have a decent verbal score and 5+ AWA, I doubt you need one. After all, it is not your grammar that they are looking for in your application, but the message you try to deliver.

Last edited by deowl on 17 Nov 2006, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Admission Consulting firms [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 23:08
Hi,
I want to get absolutely impersonal reviews for my essays. I was wondering if anyone could help me out or if I should use one of the essay editing services. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
rebelle
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admission Consulting firms [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2008, 04:29
Quote:
I want to get absolutely impersonal reviews for my essays. I was wondering if anyone could help me out or if I should use one of the essay editing services. Any suggestions?

Hi, try editavenue.com. They are decent if you are not so bad in your English that you would do an "accept all" to their suggestions and submit your essays.
Re: Admission Consulting firms   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2008, 04:29