Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 04:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

admission consulting... on a budget

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Columbia
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

admission consulting... on a budget [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 20:54
So I'd like to know I'm on the right path with my essays/stories, but I also don't have $5-6k to spend. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of writing my essays relatively quickly, and possibly using a one-time service like HBSGuru's "One-Time Sanity Check" for $900 each for one or two schools. Does anyone have experience with this particular service?
Expert Post
MBA Prep School CEO & Co-Founder
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: admission consulting... on a budget [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 21:15
Expert's post
Hello ukulelegal85,

Thank you for your question. There are many applicants in your position who can't afford the expense of an admissions consultant. MBA Prep School was created exactly for this reason. The website uses the latest online learning technology to emulate the experience of working with a private admissions consultant but for a small fraction of the cost. This month (June 2011), GMAT Club is running a free-trial promotion. You can read about the free-trial in this thread:

3-great-free-offers-from-mba-prep-school-114645-40.html

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Best of luck to you!
Tyler

Tyler Cormney
MBA Prep School

MBA Prep School provides you with power tools for building a winning MBA application. Our on-demand admissions consulting videos and application prep tools will increase your chances of being accepted by your dream school.

Take the first step toward your dream school -- for Free!: http://mbaprepschool.com
Read our eBook: http://mbaprepschool.com/ebook
For GMAT Club Discounts: http://gmatclub.com/blog/courses/mba-pr ... gmat-club/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Re: admission consulting... on a budget [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 02:22
Can you please elaborate where does USD 5-6k number comes from?

There is plenty of quality options with investments much lower than above number discussed in this
best-admission-consulting-companies-92923.html?fl=menu
topic
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
WE: Other (Insurance)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 45

GMAT Tests User
Re: admission consulting... on a budget [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 06:49
ukulelegal85 wrote:
So I'd like to know I'm on the right path with my essays/stories, but I also don't have $5-6k to spend. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of writing my essays relatively quickly, and possibly using a one-time service like HBSGuru's "One-Time Sanity Check" for $900 each for one or two schools. Does anyone have experience with this particular service?

Instead of doing that, why don't you just get a full school package for one school and use the advice for others? The advice a consultant gives you will be more or less the same for each school.

I worked with Alex Chu for waitlist correspondence and interview prep. I highly recommend him.
Current Student
Schools: Stern '13
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: admission consulting... on a budget [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 07:06
ukulelegal85 wrote:

That's a lot of dough for consulting companies. You should be able to get everything thoroughly checked multiple times for 4-5 schools for $2K. PM me if you want a recommendation.

Like the response? Kudos it!

Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Columbia
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: admission consulting... on a budget [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 23:13
hi there
i tried to send you a PM, not sure if you got it! if you could give me some rec's that'd be great!

cwhs wrote:
ukulelegal85 wrote:

That's a lot of dough for consulting companies. You should be able to get everything thoroughly checked multiple times for 4-5 schools for $2K. PM me if you want a recommendation.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 98 [1] , given: 53

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: admission consulting... on a budget [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 12:04
This post received
KUDOS
ukulelegal85 wrote:

Check out MBA Volunteers, they are a group of current or former students who volunteer their time to review applications for a small fee and then allow you to select which charity you want it to go to. I think it's a great idea, I am actually looking to volunteer for them this Fall.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 25

Re: admission consulting... on a budget [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 06:37
MBAPrepSchoolTyler wrote:
Hello ukulelegal85,

Thank you for your question. There are many applicants in your position who can't afford the expense of an admissions consultant. MBA Prep School was created exactly for this reason. The website uses the latest online learning technology to emulate the experience of working with a private admissions consultant but for a small fraction of the cost. This month (June 2011), GMAT Club is running a free-trial promotion. You can read about the free-trial in this thread:

Best of luck to you!
Tyler

Highly recommend this, website and resources are great.
Expert Post
MBA Prep School CEO & Co-Founder
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: admission consulting... on a budget [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 07:14
Expert's post
jl12 wrote:
MBAPrepSchoolTyler wrote:
Hello ukulelegal85,

Best of luck to you!
Tyler

Highly recommend this, website and resources are great.

Thanks so much for the positive comment, jl12! We've worked very hard building the videos, tools, and eBook so I'm grateful to hear that people like you are benefitting.

Keep an eye on your inbox. This week we are going to offer more free content for our GMAT Club trial subscribers. The announcement will also be posted on the GMAT Club thread:

3-great-free-offers-from-mba-prep-school-114645.html

As always, we love hearing from you and other folks who are trying our website out. If you have any feedback or suggestions, please let me know. Our goal is to use the latest online learning technologies to make admissions consulting affordable and to level the playing field for MBA candidates on a budget who can't afford a private admissions consultant.

Best,
Tyler

Tyler Cormney
MBA Prep School

MBA Prep School provides you with power tools for building a winning MBA application. Our on-demand admissions consulting videos and application prep tools will increase your chances of being accepted by your dream school.

Take the first step toward your dream school -- for Free!: http://mbaprepschool.com
Read our eBook: http://mbaprepschool.com/ebook
For GMAT Club Discounts: http://gmatclub.com/blog/courses/mba-pr ... gmat-club/

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: admission consulting... on a budget [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 08:10
Michmax3 wrote:
ukulelegal85 wrote:

Check out MBA Volunteers, they are a group of current or former students who volunteer their time to review applications for a small fee and then allow you to select which charity you want it to go to. I think it's a great idea, I am actually looking to volunteer for them this Fall.

Very cool organization! I think it's great idea although I wish their charity choices were a bit more diverse. I think that resources like this site and great blogs such as Essay Snark's blog (http://essaysnark.blogspot.com/) can go a long way for those who are unable to or do not have the desire to use an admissions consultant.

FindIt - http://www.getfindit.com

My blog - http://www.shoescount.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 53

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: admission consulting... on a budget [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2011, 08:07
eskimoroll wrote:
Very cool organization! I think it's great idea although I wish their charity choices were a bit more diverse. I think that resources like this site and great blogs such as Essay Snark's blog (http://essaysnark.blogspot.com/) can go a long way for those who are unable to or do not have the desire to use an admissions consultant.

I spoke with them yesterday about starting, the volunteer chooses the charity they want to add to the list when they come on board. It's a pretty small group that does it, so that might explain the limited selection of charities. Not sure which I'm going to choose yet, gonna do some research and probably pick something not as well known.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: admission consulting... on a budget   [#permalink] 25 Jun 2011, 08:07