Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admission essays - fall 2012

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2012
Posts: 42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Admission essays - fall 2012 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 01:10
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hi, I hope to start applying for round-1 in fall 2012...and was wondering if the essay questions for most of the top tier b-schools can be expected to be the same as they are today?

I was hoping to get a jump start on my essays....When will the new applications be out there ready to use?
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 1346
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 400 [2] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Admission essays - fall 2012 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 03:37
2
This post received
KUDOS
fxsunny wrote:
Hi, I hope to start applying for round-1 in fall 2012...and was wondering if the essay questions for most of the top tier b-schools can be expected to be the same as they are today?

I was hoping to get a jump start on my essays....When will the new applications be out there ready to use?


Depends on the school. Stanford's questions did not change from this year to last year. Chicago Booth's did. There's no way of telling if a school will switch up its questions. Don't waste time trying to write your essays now based on this year's questions.

If you want to get a jump start there are some common questions that almost all schools ask. You'll want to have your answers for the following questions fleshed out by the time the questions are released this summer so you can have that head start.

1) Post MBA goals - short term and long term. Be specific. Don't just say you want to be an investment banker or a consultant. Delve into why you want to embark on your career choice and what you hope to accomplish. Develop a career plan and be able to articulate the reason you want to take each step in the process.

2) Why MBA - figure out why you need an MBA to reach your goals. What skills/experience do you already have that lay a good foundation for you to accomplish your post MBA goal? What skills/experiences do you need to bridge the gap? You need to fully articulate why an MBA will be that bridge.

3) Why this school - This is where you show fit. If you've already determined what schools you will apply to the next step is to craft an answer as for why. Go beyond the website basics. Now is the time to do your research and come up with a detailed answer that is unique to you and your goals and interests.

4) Leadership stories - Most schools ask some variation of a leadership question. Start thinking about your key leadership experiences. Bullet point your experiences using the STAR method. By doing this you'll be able to easily pick the stories you'll use to answer the many shades of a leadership essay question. Do not try to write a leadership essay now. Each school has different nuances to their questions and a generic essay won't cut it.

Hope this is helps you get started.
_________________

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com
Image

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2012
Posts: 42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Admission essays - fall 2012 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 07:16
1
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks Cheetahrah, very helpful.

On a related note, as I try to id potential recommenders for my application, I could use some help about what type of questions recommenders are typically asked...

Specifically:

- Are they asked to type out a recommendation letter that addresses the overarching 'why do you recommend this candidate' question, or are they asked to fill out an online questionnaire with a multitude of questions ranging from positives, negatives, etc. Are there some templates that schools have used in the past years?

- Are all of my recommenders contacted, or does adcom pick and choose which one to reach out to?

- From a recommenders' perspective, is the process of providing a recommendation purely web-based, or is this a telephonic conversation with someone in adcom?

- Finally, I noticed that some online applications that accept recommendations online through the web, didn't specify how many recommendations they're looking for. Is there a norm?

Your assistance is appreciated,

Regards!
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 1346
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 400 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Admission essays - fall 2012 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 07:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
fxsunny wrote:
Thanks Cheetahrah, very helpful.

On a related note, as I try to id potential recommenders for my application, I could use some help about what type of questions recommenders are typically asked...

Specifically:

- Are they asked to type out a recommendation letter that addresses the overarching 'why do you recommend this candidate' question, or are they asked to fill out an online questionnaire with a multitude of questions ranging from positives, negatives, etc. Are there some templates that schools have used in the past years?

- Are all of my recommenders contacted, or does adcom pick and choose which one to reach out to?

- From a recommenders' perspective, is the process of providing a recommendation purely web-based, or is this a telephonic conversation with someone in adcom?

- Finally, I noticed that some online applications that accept recommendations online through the web, didn't specify how many recommendations they're looking for. Is there a norm?

Your assistance is appreciated,

Regards!


1) It depends on what school you apply to. Most schools have their own recommendation forms with evaluation charts that they want recommenders to fill out. Your recommenders cannot write one letter for you to send to all schools.

2) The initial recommendation is submitted via the online application system. If the admissions committee has a question they will call your recommender. However, this is VERY rare. Once your recommendation is submitted 99.999% of the time the recommender's job is done.

3) Go back and read carefully. Under applications requirements EVERY school says how many recommendations they require and who they should be from (i.e. supervisor, professional, peer, etc.).
_________________

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com
Image

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Nov 2011
Posts: 77
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: Indiana (Kelley) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 540 Q33 V31
GMAT 2: 650 Q39 V40
GPA: 3.22
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 5

Re: Admission essays - fall 2012 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 23:02
cheetarah1980 wrote:
fxsunny wrote:
Thanks Cheetahrah, very helpful.

On a related note, as I try to id potential recommenders for my application, I could use some help about what type of questions recommenders are typically asked...

Specifically:

- Are they asked to type out a recommendation letter that addresses the overarching 'why do you recommend this candidate' question, or are they asked to fill out an online questionnaire with a multitude of questions ranging from positives, negatives, etc. Are there some templates that schools have used in the past years?

- Are all of my recommenders contacted, or does adcom pick and choose which one to reach out to?

- From a recommenders' perspective, is the process of providing a recommendation purely web-based, or is this a telephonic conversation with someone in adcom?

- Finally, I noticed that some online applications that accept recommendations online through the web, didn't specify how many recommendations they're looking for. Is there a norm?

Your assistance is appreciated,

Regards!


1) It depends on what school you apply to. Most schools have their own recommendation forms with evaluation charts that they want recommenders to fill out. Your recommenders cannot write one letter for you to send to all schools.

2) The initial recommendation is submitted via the online application system. If the admissions committee has a question they will call your recommender. However, this is VERY rare. Once your recommendation is submitted 99.999% of the time the recommender's job is done.

3) Go back and read carefully. Under applications requirements EVERY school says how many recommendations they require and who they should be from (i.e. supervisor, professional, peer, etc.).


Some schools, like Owen, post a copy of the recommenders form on their website. The other schools to which I applied did not. However, I was able to call adCom at the other schools and find out if their recommendation forms followed a similar format. (I did this because my recommenders wanted to know whether they'd have to write a letter, free-form, or fill out a ratings form.)

Also, I've noticed that some of the GMAT club pages for the schools give a lot of information including the questions for the recommenders as well. Once I understood that all of my schools did a rating matrix, I asked my recommenders if they were comfortable with that format, and took it from there.

Also, in my case I chose not to ask my manager for a recommendation because there are too many organizational changes taking place at my job. So in my optional essay for the schools that strongly suggested a recommendation from your current manager/supervisor, I explained why I chose to request one from my team leader and manager's peer rather than my manager. That's my $0.02 of things you might have to consider. Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2010
Posts: 46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Admission essays - fall 2012 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 08:21
Hi fxsunny,
Regarding recommendations, I think in most cases the recommenders should submit their recommendation online. After you register them in your online application they get a link where they can fill in their recommendation.

As for common questions for recommenders, I found an article about MBA recommendations, with some examples of common questions, here is the link if you're interested: http://www.vocaz.com/Recommendations.htm

Cheers,
Ahish
Re: Admission essays - fall 2012   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2012, 08:21
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
admission in Fall 2012 or Spring 2013 cynthiap 3 14 Oct 2011, 13:14
Fall 2012 Applications ua87 9 06 Apr 2011, 06:27
Advice for a Fall 2012 Applicant Pyar 1 22 Mar 2011, 05:59
Experts publish their posts in the topic Advice for a Fall 2012 Applicant Pyar 1 22 Mar 2011, 05:58
Fall 2012 Deadlines scbguy 6 04 Mar 2011, 22:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Admission essays - fall 2012

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.