Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 06:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

admission in PhD program in accounting for an "old" fellow

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

admission in PhD program in accounting for an "old" fellow [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2012, 14:12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I finished a PhD in Finance two years ago from a descent Canadian university. I ended up in a teaching school for several reasons including a very bad year and not being from a top school. I’m seriously thinking of enrolling into a PhD program in Financial Accounting in a top US school. I always loved accounting, and a major part of my research overlaps with some of the hottest topic in financial accounting (actually I have published in CAR, one of top 5 accounting journal). My biggest problem is that I’m 38 years old and with virtually no practical experience in accounting!! I’m really worried that top schools will not take me seriously.
What are my chances considering that:
- I hold a PhD in Finance from a Canadian school (AACSB & EQUIS accreditation, # 1 MBA in Canada and # 1 MBA outside the US, etc…).
- I’m very research active: Over 15 journal publications, some of them in top ranked journals: Contemporary Accounting Research (now is a top FT 45), Journal of Business Ethics (a FT 45 journal), Financial Management (a top 10 finance journal), etc…
- I held the best and most lucrative scholarships offered by my former university and also by the Canadian governance. Now my research is funded by grants from the Canadian government.
- I was a visiting scholar at NYU, and visiting research at INSEAD.
- My ultimate goal is to become an accounting faculty in a top ranked BS school and to remain very research active (i.e. publication in top journals).
I’m very persistent and hard working person. However, I feel that my age can hamper my goal to get into a top ranked PhD program in the U.S. Am I right? Do you know of any top school that accepts “old” candidate? What should I work on to improve my chances?
Thanks a million.
admission in PhD program in accounting for an "old" fellow   [#permalink] 10 Jun 2012, 14:12