Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admission? Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Admission? Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2011, 03:02
Hi Paul,

I was interested in purchasing one of your multi-school packages, as I am planning on applying to several U.S. business schools for admission in the autumn of 2012. Vital info is as follows:

Nationality: British (born in Libya, raised in England)

Undergraduate Education: University of Leeds (One year exchange at University of Lund, Sweden)

Degree and Result: BSc (hons) Economics (international), Second Upper Class (2.1)

GMAT: 700

Work experience: Will have 2 years of experience by matriculation at Standard Chartered Bank (Dubai office), in the Wholesale Banking Graduate Rotation Program, where I have completed rotations in Financial Markets, Investment Banking, and Private Equity.
Entrepreneurial Experience: While at University co-established, opened a small Italian restaurant, Pizza Milano. Went on to open one more, and have subsequently sold both on.

Extracurricular Activities: Co-founded the International Literacy Foundation in 2010, an international not-for-profit organization focused on literacy promotion. Have completed projects in Canada, Pakistan, and Kenya (with a view to a few more in China, Nigeria and Lebanon) thus far which have revolved around refurbishing, renovating, and expanding libraries at orphanages and insufficiently funded schools. Additional extracurricular activities include volunteering for various causes, such as women’s foundations and the Dubai marathon.

An avid sportsman, I have also represented Liverpool and NW England at field hockey as well as representing my university and Leeds University Business school in addition to being active as an undergrad in the finance and business clubs.

Post-MBA Career Goals:

(Short-term): Private Equity

(Long-term): working for a medium sized to large NGO in Europe.

Essentially, I was wondering what my chances were of admission to Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, and Columbia are?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Admission? Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 02:41
Expert's post
mt11:
Thanks for reaching out to me. your profile is definitely the kind that I like to see. Why is that? Because you demonstrate a level of preparedness, that while not uncommon, is the type of experiences that will get you into a top 10 business school program.

With respect to Columbia, I will tell you right now that you will be able to get the interview -- if you frame your message correctly. Of course, that is what I can help you with. The issue with Columbia is that their application only requires two essays -- currently. This actually may not give you enough of an opportunity to tell your whole message. Of course, Columbia values a non-BS approach and they appreciate their applicants getting straight to the point. So the more concise you are, the better. This gives you the opportunity to maximize everything that you have in your background, without having to worry about the fluff.

It is important to note that Columbia has waxed slightly touchy-feely with the introduction of a new essay two in the past year. As a heads up, it seems that Harvard is also starting to lean this way. I referenced the following article in Forbes magazine --http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2010/12/17/harvard-biz-school-to-wall-street-rejection/. If the referenced article is too long and you did not read (TL:DR), then know that Harvard is starting to lean more towards a Stanford type approach -- an approach where they are looking for candidates who will make an impact on the greater good of society, as well as business. I am not saying that Harvard was not looking for this in the past, I am just saying that they are advertising it more now.

So what does this mean for you? While, at Harvard, you are going to want to detail your your banking background and emphasize your philanthropic or extracurricular activities. I find the pizza parlor experience to be really unique and frankly very intriguing -- I love pizza by the way. I applaud that ambition as well as food choice. When Harvard sees your resume, they are going to know that you are a smart guy, with good analytical skills and can do the math in the quantitative focused core courses. You pass that test, given your background. so now, differentiate yourself from the rest of the quantitative jocks and emphasize a little bit more of the touchy-feely in your HBS application.

I think your chances at Wharton are great. The depth of your international experiences will really resonate well at Wharton. Additionally, Wharton has so many electives in so many different paths that you could elect to go, your diversity of experiences will allow you to craft a very compelling story for Wharton. So while you are focused in moving into private equity, you can point to the diversity of your experiences is adding a lot to the rest of the students at Wharton. They will love you.

Of course, I do believe you have the right stuff for Stanford. However, Stanford is everyone's stretch school, along with Harvard. You just have to realize that. I know that you probably want a more direct answer as to what your chances are -- percentage wise. The way I would look at it is this -- Stanford, for example, accepts about one out of every 10 people who apply. Out of those 10 people, I would say you will be better than about seven or eight of them. So instead of having a 10% chance of getting in, I believe that your chances would be about 50-50 for getting the interview invite. Please keep in mind, that when I give these very rough numbers, that means you have great essays as well as a competitive GMAT score. a 700 is a competitive score, by the way.

I would say that your chances are actually slightly better at Harvard than at Stanford. why is this? Simply because Harvard has a bigger class. Harvard has a reputation for rolling the dice on candidates -- especially when it comes to GMAT scores. In no way am I saying that you are a gamble, what I am saying is that your 700 GMAT will not be a big distraction to the admissions committee. They can absorb a few lower scores because a) they are Harvard b) anyone that is accepted to Harvard will attend, so there is less variability regarding what the incoming student body will look like c) a big class of around 800 students means that a few lower scores does not drag down the average as much. d) they are Harvard -- but I already mentioned that.

In other news, I have a great track record with getting applicants into Columbia -- especially this season. I hope you checked out the Columbia white paper I wrote. You can download it under the resources section of the Amerasia website.

I hope all this helps, please e-mail me at MBA@amerasiaconsulting.com and let us set up a one-hour free consultation for this week.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Admission? Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 04:08
Thank you for your very positive response, i greatly appreciate that to best honest, i hope that is the case with what you've said!

Just to clarify, of the schools i mentioned, could you please order them in terms of likelihood of getting in, and percentage of getting an interview. I want to apply only to these 4 schools to be honest, so am wondering which one i have the best shot at, and what that shot it.

Thank you so much again.

look forward to hearing from you soon.

MT11
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Admission? Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 18:31
Expert's post
MT11:
Basically -- without seeing your essays, it is very hard to tell what your chances are. In fact, even with your whole application completed, it would be hard to put a number on "chances".
However, as a rule of thumb I would go in order of the selectivity of each school. In your case, since I have already shed some light, I will force a ranking here-- with respect to chances.

1. Columbia
2. Wharton
3. HBS
4. GSB

To emphasize the points I made earlier -- in my last post -- you have the goods to clear the initial hurdles. Your essays will distinguish a rock star from the rest of the groupies. That is why there are so many essays for each school -- they are actually interested in who you are as a person.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

mt11 wrote:
Thank you for your very positive response, i greatly appreciate that to best honest, i hope that is the case with what you've said!

Just to clarify, of the schools i mentioned, could you please order them in terms of likelihood of getting in, and percentage of getting an interview. I want to apply only to these 4 schools to be honest, so am wondering which one i have the best shot at, and what that shot it.

Thank you so much again.

look forward to hearing from you soon.

MT11

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton