Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 16:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admission? Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Admission? Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2011, 21:21
hey,

I was interested in purchasing one of your multi-school packages, as I am planning on applying to several U.S. business schools for admission in the autumn of 2012. Vital info is as follows:

Nationality: British (born in Libya, raised in England)

Undergraduate Education: University of Leeds (One year exchange at University of Lund, Sweden)

Degree and Result: BSc (hons) Economics (international), Second Upper Class (2.1)

GMAT: 700

Work experience: Will have 2 years of experience by matriculation at Standard Chartered Bank (Dubai office), in the Wholesale Banking Graduate Rotation Program, where I have completed rotations in Financial Markets, Investment Banking, and Private Equity.
Entrepreneurial Experience: While at University co-established, opened a small Italian restaurant, Pizza Milano. Went on to open one more, and have subsequently sold both on.

Extracurricular Activities: Co-founded the International Literacy Foundation in 2010, an international not-for-profit organization focused on literacy promotion. Have completed projects in Canada, Pakistan, and Kenya (with a view to a few more in China, Nigeria and Lebanon) thus far which have revolved around refurbishing, renovating, and expanding libraries at orphanages and insufficiently funded schools. Additional extracurricular activities include volunteering for various causes, such as women’s foundations and the Dubai marathon.

An avid sportsman, I have also represented Liverpool and NW England at field hockey as well as representing my university and Leeds University Business school in addition to being active as an undergrad in the finance and business clubs.

Post-MBA Career Goals:

(Short-term): Private Equity

(Long-term): working for a medium sized to large NGO in Europe.

Essentially, I was wondering what my chances were of admission to Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, and Columbia are?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admission? Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 21:55
Expert's post
mt11 wrote:
hey,

I was interested in purchasing one of your multi-school packages, as I am planning on applying to several U.S. business schools for admission in the autumn of 2012. Vital info is as follows:

Nationality: British (born in Libya, raised in England)

Undergraduate Education: University of Leeds (One year exchange at University of Lund, Sweden)

Degree and Result: BSc (hons) Economics (international), Second Upper Class (2.1)

GMAT: 700

Work experience: Will have 2 years of experience by matriculation at Standard Chartered Bank (Dubai office), in the Wholesale Banking Graduate Rotation Program, where I have completed rotations in Financial Markets, Investment Banking, and Private Equity.
Entrepreneurial Experience: While at University co-established, opened a small Italian restaurant, Pizza Milano. Went on to open one more, and have subsequently sold both on.

Extracurricular Activities: Co-founded the International Literacy Foundation in 2010, an international not-for-profit organization focused on literacy promotion. Have completed projects in Canada, Pakistan, and Kenya (with a view to a few more in China, Nigeria and Lebanon) thus far which have revolved around refurbishing, renovating, and expanding libraries at orphanages and insufficiently funded schools. Additional extracurricular activities include volunteering for various causes, such as women’s foundations and the Dubai marathon.

An avid sportsman, I have also represented Liverpool and NW England at field hockey as well as representing my university and Leeds University Business school in addition to being active as an undergrad in the finance and business clubs.

Post-MBA Career Goals:

(Short-term): Private Equity

(Long-term): working for a medium sized to large NGO in Europe.

Essentially, I was wondering what my chances were of admission to Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, and Columbia are?

We'd love to work with you using our bschool packages when you apply.

Assuming your quant score is competitive, you would have competitive profile for these programs. Your GMAT is a tad low, but I think your Libyan British background and international experience would sway the schools. And if it didn't, you could apply again the year after and cast a wider net.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Admission? Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 23:03
Thats great. Thanks for getting back to me.

When you say i am competitive, how competitive am i? what are my chances, realistically of getting a HBS offer letter?

Would you recommend i take the GMAT again? would it look back if took it again (would be my third time). For example if i did it again and got 710 would that be worth it? what about if i did it again and got 690 for example? how would that look to say HBS or Wharton??

Thanks you,

Mt11
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admission? Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 23:21
Expert's post
mt11 wrote:
Thats great. Thanks for getting back to me.

When you say i am competitive, how competitive am i? what are my chances, realistically of getting a HBS offer letter?

Would you recommend i take the GMAT again? would it look back if took it again (would be my third time). For example if i did it again and got 710 would that be worth it? what about if i did it again and got 690 for example? how would that look to say HBS or Wharton??

Thanks you,

Mt11

"Competitive" means that people like you get in to these programs at number at or above the average acceptance rates. It does not mean that are a shoo-in at any of these schools. It means to me that applying to these program is a logical reasonable move. It does not mean you can count on an acceptance at any one of these programs. I can't put a number on your chances unless I pull it out of the air. And frankly if I did, at the end of the day, it's meaningless. You are 100% in or 100% out.

Unless your GMAT is very uneven, I don't think that raising your GMAT 10 points will make much difference. There is a lot of evidence that scores usually go up 20 points just by virtue of practice. 700 is in the ballpark for these schools, especially if the quant is 80%+, English is your second language, and you come from a part of the world that is under-represented.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog