Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 09:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admission Question, GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Admission Question, GMAT [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 12:50
Thanks in advance for any help.

My concern is mostly with my GMAT score. I am only applying to one program, which is the Ohio State part time program. They list 620 as their current average GMAT score. This number was 600 one semester ago.

Unfortunately I scored a 590 with a low quant score (36th percentile). My verbal percentile was 79.

My undergrad GPA was 3.59 from a respectable Big Ten school. My math grades were 3.0+ in all college math courses. I am not worried about any of the other admissions requirements as I will be able to present strong material, however I am very worried about my low GMAT quant score. I have a very small window to retake the exam after the 31 day period, but am worried about scoring even lower.

Maybe my only other concerns are my lack of community involvement, and my work experience duration, which is just over the 4 year minimum required by this program. The quality of my work is very good as a project manager for a large, well known corporation.

Any advice about my chances for getting accepted to the program would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Admission Question, GMAT [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 16:47
Expert's post
GMAT 122222-

My question for you would be what did you do to prep for the test? Did you study on your own, take a course? I am a big proponent of maximizing my chances of success at anything I do, so from my conservative view point I would take it again but apply myself intensely to test prep with a course. I was not an initial great test taker, but studied and took a course and was able to master the GMAT and get into a top-10 b-school. I would particularly focus on the quantitative concepts as you need to demonstrate quantitative capacity.

Courtney Jane
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admission Question, GMAT [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 17:05
Expert's post
I wouldn't sweat the GMAT too much. Sure, they post their average, but remember that it's just an average. Plenty of people score lower and plenty of people score higher. Part time programs in general are not as concerned with GMAT scores. They know working professionals have very little spare time to prepare like perhaps you might if you were gearing up to take two years off work to go full time. Plus, part time programs do not have to report their GMAT scores to the rankings boards, so being more flexible on the GMAT does not affect their ranking, which is based on their full time program. The quant thing is something that may give them some concern, but you can be prepared to address this in your application by highlighting ways you use quant abilities in other areas of your work. As you point out, your grades will help demonstrate ability in math as well.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Admission Question, GMAT [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 15:51
Thanks for the advice. Because my two GMATPrep tests were 640's, I'm going to give this another go in one month. Unfortunately I don't have enough time to take a course as my application deadline is May 15.
Expert Post
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admission Question, GMAT [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 08:10
Expert's post
Okay but don't forget that veritasprep has online on-demand pre-recorded course option--highly recommended vs. prepping alone.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews