Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 23:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admission / Waitlist Question?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Admission / Waitlist Question? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 07:43
So I have been fortunate enough to be admitted to a couple of schools now (Columbia, Chicago, and Yale). I was placed on the waitlist at HBS and won't find out if I get an interview until mid February, and should I be interviewed I wont find out if I am admitted until late March. The problem with this is I need to give a yes/no and an initial (non-refundable) deposit to the school's I was admitted to basically by the end of February (ranges from Feb 20th to March 1st). So my question to the forum, is how do I manage this process? I realize I really can't go wrong with any of the schools I have been admitted to so its definitely a high-class problem, but I am just wondering if I want to find out from HBS do I say something to them (everything I have read on managing the waitlist process basically has said only contact the AdCom with a meaningful update i.e. promotion, higher GMAT score, etc. with no mention of admittance to other schools) or do I just pick from where I have been admitted and should I still believe HBS is my #1 then roll the dice on them and risk forfeiting the initial deposit at the other school.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [1] , given: 628

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Admission / Waitlist Question? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 07:46
This post received
KUDOS
I suggest putting in a deposit at your favorite school between SOM, Booth, and CBS. Then, if admitted, forego the deposit and matriculate at HBS (assuming the $2-3K is worth it to you). After all, in the grand scheme of things, let alone in the face of $150K of debt, an additional $3K is nothing if it means attending your number one choice.
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 309 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Admission / Waitlist Question? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 18:32
kingfalcon wrote:
I suggest putting in a deposit at your favorite school between SOM, Booth, and CBS. Then, if admitted, forego the deposit and matriculate at HBS (assuming the $2-3K is worth it to you). After all, in the grand scheme of things, let alone in the face of $150K of debt, an additional $3K is nothing if it means attending your number one choice.

Concur. People do this all the time - the school you leave at the altar won't be offended, in fact, they'll go to their waitlist to fill the spot and probably keep the domino effect going. If HBS is your No.1, I would do this - the worst case scenario is you end up at another great school. You only get one shot at an MBA - do right by yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admission / Waitlist Question? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 19:19
Agree with putting the deposit at one of the other schools. Be realistic that getting off the HBS WL varies from year to year and there are no guarantees.

Also, realize that you are dealing with HBS -- and HBS does not care much about any other schools and what they are doing. They also know that if you get into HBS, you will most probably attend. So, they do not cave into any pressure. Thus, keep your correspondence with them focused on your desire to attend the school and do update them on any changes to your application status.

Good luck

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: Admission / Waitlist Question?   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2013, 19:19