Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Re: Admissions Advice (D in Calc) [#permalink]
Was the D during your Junior/Senior year? If it was that late in your undergrad, it may be a good idea to retake it at a community college.

But imo, it's probably not that big of a deal if you ace the GMAT. I got 3 Fs my freshman year of undergrad (one was even in a math course). I addressed the circumstances in my optional essays and still got into a couple top schools.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Guys, thanks a lot for the input. That is VERY encouraging. To be honest, I always preferred business to law, but some people had me convinced it was a lost cause given my D. I think I will retake it just to show I can (and pray that I can in fact do well at it...). What kind of work experience did you guys have? Do you think working as a manager/officer for a small family business of ~300 employees is sufficient to get into the schools I listed? Man this is encouraging. I think I'll go start studying for the GMAT. Also, any suggestions on schools that are good for entrepreneurship and running a company, as opposed to consulting or I-banking?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
AllTheWine wrote:
Guys, thanks a lot for the input. That is VERY encouraging. To be honest, I always preferred business to law, but some people had me convinced it was a lost cause given my D.

Really? From what everyone tells me, law schools are way more obsessed with pristine academic performance than business schools.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MDF wrote:
AllTheWine wrote:
Guys, thanks a lot for the input. That is VERY encouraging. To be honest, I always preferred business to law, but some people had me convinced it was a lost cause given my D.

Really? From what everyone tells me, law schools are way more obsessed with pristine academic performance than business schools.

Yeah, but I thought business schools cared more about performance in math and would forgive a low overall GPA if quantitative skills were strong. Law wants a high GPA but doesn't care what the classes are. That's how I understood it anyways. Either way, I hope you guys are right.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Got a D in Physics 101 back in sophomore year of college now almost 9 years ago... i just let the GMAT, my B+ in Calc 1 from freshman year, quant analysis I had to do in my jobs, and an optional essay downplay that D and let everything else say that I know quant skills.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
I got a D in Calc 2 in Freshman year of UG. I did well on the GMAT and pointed to a few more quant classes I excelled in and addressed some special circumstances I had in the option essay.

I was worried it might hold me back, but I've got at least 1 admit so far so don't sweat it too much.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
MDF wrote:
AllTheWine wrote:

That is correct, law schools are more concerned with undergrad performance than business schools. One D probably wouldn't totally ding you at a reasonably well ranked school, but unless you have something really extraordinary, a D is the kiss of death from getting into Harvard, Yale, Stanford, NYU, and Columbia. If you're a non-trad to a law school, like at least 10 years out of college, then perhaps grades won't matter so much at that point because you have your professional experience matters more.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just to clarify, novanative, you mean that in regard to law schools, not b-schools, right? In regard to law schools, yeah, that's pretty accurate. I'd throw Chicago on that list as well. I got waitlsted at NYU and into everything ranked 7 - 15.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
AllTheWine wrote:
Just to clarify, novanative, you mean that in regard to law schools, not b-schools, right? In regard to law schools, yeah, that's pretty accurate. I'd throw Chicago on that list as well. I got waitlsted at NYU and into everything ranked 7 - 15.

Yes, that's with law schools. If the median GPA after the LSAC credential standardization is applied is 3.7 or higher, really there's no room for a D, or even a C on a transcript. Obviously at the top law schools, most of them have median LSAT's at least at 170 if not higher, though it looks like Berkeley Law and Cornell have remained lower. 170 is about 98 percentile or so, and in GMAT terms, that's at around a 750.

I would think GPA is also higher for them because a larger proportion of incoming students are straight from college for the "T-14" except for Northwestern because of their strict preference for those with at least 2 yrs out of college , but even there the median GPA is 3.8.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OK, so since people don't think the D matters that much for b-school, with 3 years work experience and a 3.5, what GMAT do you think I need to get into Virginia, Duke, Texas? If I want to primarily anage a small-mid sized family company and maybe start my own company, do you have any suggestions for schools? I'm not interested in finance, investment banking, or placement into a major corporation. How about Vanderbilt? Yale?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I know it's been a long time since I started this initial discussion, but if anyone has any additional information or thoughts, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
AllTheWine wrote:
I know it's been a long time since I started this initial discussion, but if anyone has any additional information or thoughts, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

I would retake the course at a local university asap. Put that in your application as an education field. Highlight that in you took this course in the optional essay. Then i think you hedged your risk.

Thats what I'd do.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Send PM
prorsum wrote:
AllTheWine wrote:

I would retake the course at a local university asap. Put that in your application as an education field. Highlight that in you took this course in the optional essay. Then i think you hedged your risk.

Thats what I'd do.

I don't think it is that big of a deal. I got a C in Cal 2 (at a community college), but I still got a 3.8 overall at a top public university. I took the class and didn't realize it would be on my transcript so I just made sure I passed it. As long as you've done good in your other quant classes and do well on the GMAT you should be fine.
GMAT Club Bot