Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admissions Essays for Master of Accountancy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Phi Theta Kappa, Dean's list, Chancelors list, Who's Who award, ASCPA
WE 1: Tax
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Admissions Essays for Master of Accountancy [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 07:53
Hello all,

I am writing my long/short term career goal essay this week. Actually, I've been working on them all summer, I'm just trying to fine tune them now. As my long term goal is to achieve a tenured position as a prof. of accountancy, I am focusing a majority of my essay on events supporting that goal. One of the things I really want to mention is my desire to focus my studies on Financial Accounting and Theory. Part of my plan is to take electives in economics but I am not sure which accounting courses will most benefit this area of study. I have been trying to find descriptions of each course but the process is tiring and still, I'm unsure.

Does anyone here have any ideas? I was thinking along the lines of FS analysis, advanced accounting and special topics in accounting.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [1] , given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admissions Essays for Master of Accountancy [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 12:13
This post received
KUDOS
If I were in your boat, I would write that I'm interested in understanding and researching the impact of switching from GAAP to IFRS on U.S. companies.

In terms of economics, not many masters level accounting classes touch economics directly. Cost management is the only class I can actually recall using economics. But obviously, yes, you'll need a lot of economics for a future PhD -- so I would mention that you're interested in studying financial statement analysis and its relationship to incentivized management behavior.

Hope these help get you thinking! Good luck!

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Phi Theta Kappa, Dean's list, Chancelors list, Who's Who award, ASCPA
WE 1: Tax
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Re: Admissions Essays for Master of Accountancy [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 12:38
method wrote:
If I were in your boat, I would write that I'm interested in understanding and researching the impact of switching from GAAP to IFRS on U.S. companies.

In terms of economics, not many masters level accounting classes touch economics directly. Cost management is the only class I can actually recall using economics. But obviously, yes, you'll need a lot of economics for a future PhD -- so I would mention that you're interested in studying financial statement analysis and its relationship to incentivized management behavior.

Hope these help get you thinking! Good luck!

Thank you so much!
You have given me a new perspective on how to illustrate my interests. This issue is certainly one of the biggest (and most likely) changes to come in the near future. On the topic of economics, I've actually already spoken to the BC's that I want to attend and most will allow me to take economics courses as my electives- this is my intention. But I have a wide variety of accounting coursework from which to choose for my core classes. This is where I've encountered the problem- I am not sure which of these courses best suites my end goal.

I am hoping someone can give me some ideas.
Re: Admissions Essays for Master of Accountancy   [#permalink] 27 Sep 2011, 12:38