Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 18:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admissions Possibility at U of Houston

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Admissions Possibility at U of Houston [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 05:01
Hi all,

Perhaps someone on this forum who is in a similar situation can help me out. I would like to get an MBA from the University of Houston, Bauer College of Business.

Background:
University: top-15 nationally ranked private university, B.A. w/ 4.0 GPA.
Graduate School: top-25 nationally ranked law school, J.D. expected in 2013. Grades are poor.
Work experience: 1.5 years in Mergers & Acquisitions (law)

I grew up in Houston and would like to work and practice law here, specifically in M&A.

My understanding is that MBA programs place a higher emphasis on grades earned from the last 2 years of University and in Grad School. That is problematic from me. In addition, the fact that I did not opt to do a joint JD/MBA program will count against me as well. Is there credence to this?

In any event, I took a practice GMAT, cold, and got a 560. I performed abysmally on the quantitative sections.

I will have some time to study between now and August so I imagine my score will go up. Provided I score above a 600 and with the above mentioned education/experience, do y'all think I have a fairly strong shot at getting into UH?

TIA
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Admissions Possibility at U of Houston [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 06:24
Expert's post
Your chance at UH is pretty solid even with a 560 GMAT score with your high UG GPA and good work experience. If you want to stay in Houston, you should also consider Rice (Jones) and UT-Austin (McCombs), with McCombs being the better choice. Those two schools will afford you better opportunities. If you are applying for those two schools, you should aim to get at least 650 on your GMAT.

Diversity

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Admissions Possibility at U of Houston [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 06:29
I actually went to Rice for undergrad, but I doubt that would carry any weight even with my grades.
Re: Admissions Possibility at U of Houston   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2012, 06:29