Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 03:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admit to a school that they are my first choice?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Admit to a school that they are my first choice? [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2007, 18:40
When I began the whole MBA process, I was looking at a few schools. When it came time to apply, I decided to go with the "sniper approach" with the lowest ranked school out of the schools I was considering. After some soul searching I decided that this particular school was the best fit with my goals. My GMAT score is considerably higher than their average and from the beginning I have been "playing it cool" by letting them believe that I was looking at other schools. For example, recently I asked a question about something or other and in my letter I said something along the lines of, "While researching other schools I have found X, what about your school?" My reasoning was that since my GMAT score is well above their average, they might offer me a scholarship if they thought that I was applying to other schools. Now I'm thinking the opposite...What if they think that since my stats are higher than their averages I am just using them as a backup and won't go if admitted, bringing down their yield?

Would it be prudent to send the adcoms a letter stating that they are my first/only choice? If it would mean the difference between being accepted or not, I would definitely do it because I really really want to go to this school and I didn't apply anywhere else. On the other hand, I would be kicking myself in the ass if they WERE going to offer a scholarship and took it back because they knew that I was "in the bag". Of course I would never know...but it would bug me.

I never mentioned any other schools by name. I only alluded to the fact that this particular school wasn't the only one I was researching. You know, make it sound like I was "playing the field". I think I wrote some great essays letting them know that I extensively researched their school and giving them all the reasons that I want to go there, but then again, they think that I am looking at other schools, hence the dilemma. Do they think that they are "just" a backup school as far as I am concerned? What should I do?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Admit to a school that they are my first choice? [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2007, 17:49
livehard wrote:
Damn girl, you are a head case. Take a deep breath and PLEASE stop sending trivial emails to the ADCOMs. They are NOT reading your emails trying to figure out what your deepest motivations and desires are (more likely they are beyond sick of hearing from you).

It's a miracle you are able to wipe yourself.

What are you talking about? Trivial emails? Where did you get that idea? Pretty much all of my correspondence, except the "Thank you" letter after the interview, has been with student ambassadors working in the admissions office, not with the adcoms themselves. All my letters have been for the sake of researching the school, and I wouldn't classify researching a school as "trivial emails". You don't have to be such a prick.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2007, 19:16
jessica sometimes less is more. Try not to stress out about it. Most schools understand applicants to a fulltime program are applying else where. Its the nature of the beast, even if you are completely over qualified its never a 100% sure bet so its smart to apply to multiple schools.

Obviously the interest you have displayed has proved you are serious. A lot of people never bother to visit or even think about their safety schools...they just complete the app and assume they will get in.

As for livehard, your little statement you think is funny is probably OK for a lot of forums but just so you know, this place tends to be very PC so please refrain from your snide remarks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2007, 23:46
oh wait, this is river's 1500th post... congrats again river 8-)

jessica, just make sure you show a lot of "love" (I'm serious) to the schools you really want to get into *and* your backup schools. If you visit them at least once, talk to a few students, alums, adcom, whomever, and really research their programs, classes, clubs, trips, recruiters, centers, etc... you should do fine in convincing them that you want to go to that school without giving up that "advantage" you're worried about.

BTW, second that comment to livehard. This forum prides itself in being friendly towards each other. Some light jabs is all good, but yours is bordering offensive.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admit to a school that they are my first choice? [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2007, 19:57
Expert's post
jessica83 wrote:
When I began the whole MBA process, I was looking at a few schools. When it came time to apply, I decided to go with the "sniper approach" with the lowest ranked school out of the schools I was considering. After some soul searching I decided that this particular school was the best fit with my goals. My GMAT score is considerably higher than their average and from the beginning I have been "playing it cool" by letting them believe that I was looking at other schools. For example, recently I asked a question about something or other and in my letter I said something along the lines of, "While researching other schools I have found X, what about your school?" My reasoning was that since my GMAT score is well above their average, they might offer me a scholarship if they thought that I was applying to other schools. Now I'm thinking the opposite...What if they think that since my stats are higher than their averages I am just using them as a backup and won't go if admitted, bringing down their yield?

Would it be prudent to send the adcoms a letter stating that they are my first/only choice? If it would mean the difference between being accepted or not, I would definitely do it because I really really want to go to this school and I didn't apply anywhere else. On the other hand, I would be kicking myself in the ass if they WERE going to offer a scholarship and took it back because they knew that I was "in the bag". Of course I would never know...but it would bug me.

I never mentioned any other schools by name. I only alluded to the fact that this particular school wasn't the only one I was researching. You know, make it sound like I was "playing the field". I think I wrote some great essays letting them know that I extensively researched their school and giving them all the reasons that I want to go there, but then again, they think that I am looking at other schools, hence the dilemma. Do they think that they are "just" a backup school as far as I am concerned? What should I do?

jessica83,

You are getting good advice from the previous posters, or most of them anyway. You are really overanalyzing your remark to the adcoms. They understand that you are applying to other schools and would never rescind a scholarship offer just because you had the temerity to apply to other schools. They offer scholarships to people they want to get at their school, period. The admissions process for the school involves almost no "psychology" in the sense in which you seem to think it does (reading subtle meanings into sentences). But they *do* respond to people who show them that they really do want to attend.

Hope this helps,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog