Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 12:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ADMITS FROM INDIA: Pre MBA Meetup

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
9 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 374
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 149 [9] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
ADMITS FROM INDIA: Pre MBA Meetup [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 03:20
9
This post received
KUDOS
Dear All,

I am an applicant from India and having been admitted at the Tuck School of Business, will be joining many of you in attending business school in the US this fall.

We often hear how B School is all about networking but no one (atleast I haven't heard) tries to do something about it before we actually reach the US. The only level of networking is typically between B School admits at the same school. I can't fathom why I wouldn't want to establish contact with, say, admits at HBS, Wharton, Stanford, Darden, Kellogg etc. as well. This can have multiple benefits:

- Support while in the US. Eg: say you go to school in Boston, and are visiting Chicago for a recruiting trip/generally. You will know someone at Kellogg/Booth who you could reach out to and possibly meet for a drink. Discuss B School life, Bollywood, recruitment, and what not
- Longer term networking - Let's face it. Business school only prepares us for the life ahead, but the first job out of B School isn't the one you will stick to forever, neither is it representative of your full leadership potential. As all of us (Class of 2015) become more senior in our careers, we would want to be in the company of other successful people. Being in touch with those who hold high potential to succeed in the future is hence a good start we can all make today
- Support while relocating - we are all going to the US, but will not stay there forever. Some will come back to India soon, others may move to different countries. Again, knowing someone you could email/ping for help while moving would be a potentially good contact to have
- Support in long term career planning - Last, but not the least, you can always refer to this meetup when trying to get in touch with someone who is at a firm you are planning to apply at. Of course, you may already have alumni working at that organization whom you could reach out to, but this adds more eggs to your basket

... and there could be enough reasons to hold such an event. General networking, socializing, discussing the anxiety of the overall process, etc.

What I'm thinking about doing is organizing a cocktail session in major Indian cities (Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore) where admits from business schools - not limited to US schools, the mention of US above was more as a placeholder - can come for an evening of networking. I plan to limit the size of the event, else the whole purpose of networking will be defeated. Maybe 30-40 students in total in each city. I also plan to collect data about those who attend the event in each city (basic stuff like personal email, phone, photograph, school you are attending - optional data such as linkedin profile link, facebook profile link etc.), make a PDF of that, and distribute it to anyone who attends the meetup in any city. This means although you meet X students in Mumbai, you will receive info on 3X students including those from Delhi, Bangalore and elsewhere.

Of course these are all initial thoughts. There is privacy to be managed etc. which I will think more on. To gain critical mass, those who are interested to meet and indicate on GmatClub, will be requested to spread the word in the FB groups of their respective schools.

What do you think? Thought? Suggestions?

Of course is someone wants to help me organize all this, I am happy to form a team or so.

Look forward to comments. Cheers!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2010
Posts: 69
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: ADMITS FROM INDIA: Pre MBA Meetup [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 06:11
str1der wrote:
Dear All,

I am an applicant from India and having been admitted at the Tuck School of Business, will be joining many of you in attending business school in the US this fall.

We often hear how B School is all about networking but no one (atleast I haven't heard) tries to do something about it before we actually reach the US. The only level of networking is typically between B School admits at the same school. I can't fathom why I wouldn't want to establish contact with, say, admits at HBS, Wharton, Stanford, Darden, Kellogg etc. as well. This can have multiple benefits:

- Support while in the US. Eg: say you go to school in Boston, and are visiting Chicago for a recruiting trip/generally. You will know someone at Kellogg/Booth who you could reach out to and possibly meet for a drink. Discuss B School life, Bollywood, recruitment, and what not
- Longer term networking - Let's face it. Business school only prepares us for the life ahead, but the first job out of B School isn't the one you will stick to forever, neither is it representative of your full leadership potential. As all of us (Class of 2015) become more senior in our careers, we would want to be in the company of other successful people. Being in touch with those who hold high potential to succeed in the future is hence a good start we can all make today
- Support while relocating - we are all going to the US, but will not stay there forever. Some will come back to India soon, others may move to different countries. Again, knowing someone you could email/ping for help while moving would be a potentially good contact to have
- Support in long term career planning - Last, but not the least, you can always refer to this meetup when trying to get in touch with someone who is at a firm you are planning to apply at. Of course, you may already have alumni working at that organization whom you could reach out to, but this adds more eggs to your basket

... and there could be enough reasons to hold such an event. General networking, socializing, discussing the anxiety of the overall process, etc.

What I'm thinking about doing is organizing a cocktail session in major Indian cities (Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore) where admits from business schools - not limited to US schools, the mention of US above was more as a placeholder - can come for an evening of networking. I plan to limit the size of the event, else the whole purpose of networking will be defeated. Maybe 30-40 students in total in each city. I also plan to collect data about those who attend the event in each city (basic stuff like personal email, phone, photograph, school you are attending - optional data such as linkedin profile link, facebook profile link etc.), make a PDF of that, and distribute it to anyone who attends the meetup in any city. This means although you meet X students in Mumbai, you will receive info on 3X students including those from Delhi, Bangalore and elsewhere.

Of course these are all initial thoughts. There is privacy to be managed etc. which I will think more on. To gain critical mass, those who are interested to meet and indicate on GmatClub, will be requested to spread the word in the FB groups of their respective schools.

What do you think? Thought? Suggestions?

Of course is someone wants to help me organize all this, I am happy to form a team or so.

Look forward to comments. Cheers!


I think this is a great idea. We have all heard countless alum speak about the importance of networking and that we need to start as soon as possible. This would be great opportunity for all of use, fresh to Bschool ppl, to get to know each other, share ideas and contacts, and have a few laughs over drinks. I am in.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jun 2011
Posts: 249
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 26

Re: ADMITS FROM INDIA: Pre MBA Meetup [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 22:09
Great Idea str1der ! To begin with, we could form a Facebook page - B-school Admits from India starting Fall 2013 !
_________________

The chase begins ...

Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 374
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: ADMITS FROM INDIA: Pre MBA Meetup [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 02:08
dreamchase wrote:
Great Idea str1der ! To begin with, we could form a Facebook page - B-school Admits from India starting Fall 2013 !


Yes - I am planning to do so. Just getting thoughts in place.

For now, whoever is coming on this page and thinks its a good idea, pls share the idea with your friends (here or elsewhere). Critical mass is very important.
_________________

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 02 May 2009
Posts: 73
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 14

Re: ADMITS FROM INDIA: Pre MBA Meetup [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 09:35
Sounds like an interesting idea
_________________

http://oxonian2013mba.wordpress.com/

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2012
Posts: 76
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 9

Re: ADMITS FROM INDIA: Pre MBA Meetup [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 03:18
Very well thought and I'd love to participate, but only after I have an offer in hand :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2013
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: ADMITS FROM INDIA: Pre MBA Meetup [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 02:44
Great Initiative....! I have admits from Arizona State, Simon, Bentley and Hult. I'm planning to go to ASU. BTW, try to have a meeting in Chennai too, if possible.
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 592
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: ADMITS FROM INDIA: Pre MBA Meetup [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 07:39
Great idea. Kudos to the person who took the initiative to arrange this.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.
_________________

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Nov 2011
Posts: 26
Location: India
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: ADMITS FROM INDIA: Pre MBA Meetup [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 00:48
All in mate! Let me know how this works out.
_________________

Ah well, may those few last steps that remain unfold.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jan 2013
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: ADMITS FROM INDIA: Pre MBA Meetup [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 02:53
Sounds like a plan....Lets make it a success....
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 374
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: ADMITS FROM INDIA: Pre MBA Meetup [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 19:54
Guys ,

Thanks for the encouragement and for supporting the idea - appreciate it. Here are a few pointers I am thinking on and of course suggestions are welcome

1. Hold the meetup in Delhi and Mumbai. Bangalore based on demand
2. Entry only by pre verification of admit AND payment of deposit
3. Hold the meetup in a central place for drinks and snacks around 6PM in the evening.
4. Organize on Saturday and Sunday to enable everyone to make it
5.Those interested to help should spread the word in the FB page of their respective school(s)
6. Only those who attend will be sent a PDF with contact details of all other attendees

To build critical mass, this needs to spread fast by word of mouth or online. I envision doing the meetups in May

Thoughts?
_________________

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2012
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: ADMITS FROM INDIA: Pre MBA Meetup [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 06:10
str1der wrote:
Guys ,

Thanks for the encouragement and for supporting the idea - appreciate it. Here are a few pointers I am thinking on and of course suggestions are welcome

1. Hold the meetup in Delhi and Mumbai. Bangalore based on demand
2. Entry only by pre verification of admit AND payment of deposit
3. Hold the meetup in a central place for drinks and snacks around 6PM in the evening.
4. Organize on Saturday and Sunday to enable everyone to make it
5.Those interested to help should spread the word in the FB page of their respective school(s)
6. Only those who attend will be sent a PDF with contact details of all other attendees

To build critical mass, this needs to spread fast by word of mouth or online. I envision doing the meetups in May

Thoughts?


I think this is a great idea. I think though mid May is a better option because people can get a chance to meet others students of different and same schools. Students from same schools can also get together and discuss stuff like lodging and other details.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jun 2011
Posts: 249
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 26

Re: ADMITS FROM INDIA: Pre MBA Meetup [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 03:05
A group on a similar theme exists. Check this:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/MBAadmits/
_________________

The chase begins ...

Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 374
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: ADMITS FROM INDIA: Pre MBA Meetup [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 04:16
dreamchase wrote:
A group on a similar theme exists. Check this:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/MBAadmits/


Thanks - but what I have in mind is very different from this.
_________________

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 63
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

Re: ADMITS FROM INDIA: Pre MBA Meetup [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 23:29
str1der wrote:
Guys ,

Thanks for the encouragement and for supporting the idea - appreciate it. Here are a few pointers I am thinking on and of course suggestions are welcome

1. Hold the meetup in Delhi and Mumbai. Bangalore based on demand
2. Entry only by pre verification of admit AND payment of deposit
3. Hold the meetup in a central place for drinks and snacks around 6PM in the evening.
4. Organize on Saturday and Sunday to enable everyone to make it
5.Those interested to help should spread the word in the FB page of their respective school(s)
6. Only those who attend will be sent a PDF with contact details of all other attendees

To build critical mass, this needs to spread fast by word of mouth or online. I envision doing the meetups in May

Thoughts?


Great idea St1der!

I do not think point 2 would be necessary. We can go about spreading the word on the admits' facebook/google group of the respective schools. So people would invite only those whom they already know through the school pages. I also think May might be a good time for such a meetup. The R2 results would be out and everyone would have a lot more clarity on where they are headed.

I think the idea of getting to meet others who are headed to the same neighbourhood is fantastic. Makes a lot of sense for ppl headed to HBS/MIT, Kellogg/Booth or Columbia/Stern for example.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2011
Posts: 66
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GRE 1: 1440 Q770 V670
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 8

Re: ADMITS FROM INDIA: Pre MBA Meetup [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 13:31
Count me in. Great idea mate.
_________________

Vanishing Nerd

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2012
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: ADMITS FROM INDIA: Pre MBA Meetup [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 23:13
Hi,

I am planning to apply in 2014 and joining the meetup with people who have been already admitted will be very very helpful. Guidance from people who have just made through will be very very helpful not to forget to mention, insightful.

If required, I can help arrange a meetup in Mumbai.

Sincerely,
Ruchir


qtrip wrote:
str1der wrote:
Guys ,

Thanks for the encouragement and for supporting the idea - appreciate it. Here are a few pointers I am thinking on and of course suggestions are welcome

1. Hold the meetup in Delhi and Mumbai. Bangalore based on demand
2. Entry only by pre verification of admit AND payment of deposit
3. Hold the meetup in a central place for drinks and snacks around 6PM in the evening.
4. Organize on Saturday and Sunday to enable everyone to make it
5.Those interested to help should spread the word in the FB page of their respective school(s)
6. Only those who attend will be sent a PDF with contact details of all other attendees

To build critical mass, this needs to spread fast by word of mouth or online. I envision doing the meetups in May

Thoughts?


Great idea St1der!

I do not think point 2 would be necessary. We can go about spreading the word on the admits' facebook/google group of the respective schools. So people would invite only those whom they already know through the school pages. I also think May might be a good time for such a meetup. The R2 results would be out and everyone would have a lot more clarity on where they are headed.

I think the idea of getting to meet others who are headed to the same neighbourhood is fantastic. Makes a lot of sense for ppl headed to HBS/MIT, Kellogg/Booth or Columbia/Stern for example.
Current Student
avatar
Status: Now or never
Joined: 07 Aug 2010
Posts: 326
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: ADMITS FROM INDIA: Pre MBA Meetup [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 04:18
Where is the meetup planned? Any meetups in the northern regions of India would be appreciated. I could take the lead to organize one if there are enough people from in and around Northern parts of India :)
_________________

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Re: ADMITS FROM INDIA: Pre MBA Meetup   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2013, 04:18
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Admits From India - Pre-MBA meetup DG89 4 26 Feb 2014, 00:09
Delhi (India): Coffee Meetup for B-School Candidates AskAnshul 1 19 Jun 2013, 00:28
Pre-MBA (post admit) Classes & Transcripts tigerbeck 0 11 Mar 2011, 11:33
MBA From India or US abhijit_sen 2 16 Mar 2008, 16:39
Display posts from previous: Sort by

ADMITS FROM INDIA: Pre MBA Meetup

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.