Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Apr 2014, 02:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admitted and now in dilemma

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Status: On the battlefield of applications, savoring each day
Schools: Owen '14 (A)
WE: Information Technology (Insurance)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Admitted and now in dilemma [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2012, 12:31
Hi Stacy,

I really appreciate the guidance that you have been providing to us applicants in this forum. I need your advice and approach to my situation.
There is another dilemma in the form of good news. I have been offered admission
to Vanderbilt Owen Graduate School of management. Right now I do not have official bind envelope detailing everything but the application website has moved to accepted status and I have also received a request to join their Facebook group for class of 2014.
Surprisingly I have not received an official email of acceptance. So I do not know of any scholarship details that I might get.
The second case, I have also been offered an admission to SMU Cox school of business and they have provided me with 70% scholarship in tuition, which makes it quite compelling for an international candidate from India like me.
Briefly - GMAT - 710, exp 6yrs at matriculation at a US based IT MNC.My goals lie towards strategy consulting/ general management.

I thus again need your guidance here on two things:
1. Since SMU has offered me a generous scholarship/aid of ~70% in tuition, how much is it really worth to think of vanderbilt? (In my research, which is in progress, I saw that vanderbilt offers much more opportunities for consulting and has a better curriculum as well as community. Also their recent employment report seems to be quite good as 99% of students were offered internships. So it seems Vanderbilt is a better choice. But is it better without scholarship or small scholarship?).
2. I have heard that students have negotiated with the schools for scholarship citing that another competitive school has provided scholarship. How do we go about doing this in case I needed to take this step (which I hope not to)?.

Thanks & regards
iAqua4
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted and now in dilemma [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 11:21
Expert's post
Hi iAqua4,

For scholarships, there is no harm in talking to the financial aid office about potential scholarship packages. You have already been accepted into the program.

As to which program you should attend, I recommend you speak to current students, alumni, and the career centers at each school. Gathering as many data points as you can will help you make the right decision in the end. Specifically, if there are any companies you would like to work for post-graduation, talk to the career center to see if they recruit at the school.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap