Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 22:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admitted MSc: Erasmus x Grenoble x Imperial College x EADA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.15
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Admitted MSc: Erasmus x Grenoble x Imperial College x EADA [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2014, 08:30
Hi Everyone,

I have applied to 6 MSc programmes in Europe. Which one should I attend?

These are the variables I am taking into consideration:

1 program cost -- 2 university reputation -- 3 program reputation -- 4 cost of living -- 5 alignment with my career plan and profile

Career Plan (3 years): Consultant in a multinational

1- Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus (Netherland) - ACCECPTED
2- Grenoble Ecole de Management (France) - ACCEPTED
3- Imperial College (England) - INTERVIEW SOON
4- EADA (Spain) - INTERVIEW SOON
5- Copenhagem Business School - CBS (Denmark) - WAITING
6- NHH (Norway) - WAITING

1- MSc in Management of Innovation
2- MiB - International Business
3- Msc in Strategic Marketing
4- International Master in Management
5- Msc in International Management
6- Msc in International Management

My Profile:

. 1,5 years of internship in the biggest private company in Brazil
. 0,5 year of internship in a startup acelarated by the largest Business Aceletator in Brazil.
. Proficiency in English, Spanish and Portuguese (two exchange programs in Canada and Argentina)
. TOEFL IBt: 102 (all sections 24+)
. GMAT: 640 46Q/ 32V
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Admitted MSc: Erasmus x Grenoble x Imperial College x EADA [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2014, 23:21
Note that if you want to consult in a foreign country, you generally need the language. I know in Scandinavia Bain & Co. doesn't require a Scandinavian language, but they heavily prefer it. Beyond that, both CBS and NHH are respectively the best schools in their country, and if you have the proper language skills and perform well you have a shot as they recruit locally for the Scandinavian offices as there's not really a supply of Scandianvian-language speakers elsewhere.
Of course, if you go to NHH, you might find yourself pursuing a career in oil anyways. Those guys graduate making a shit ton of money.

GMAT Prep 1 - November 25, 2013: 44 Q, 45 V, 720
GMAT Prep 2 - March 16, 2014: 47 Q, 42 V, 720

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.15
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted MSc: Erasmus x Grenoble x Imperial College x EADA [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2014, 04:14
mooncakes wrote:
Note that if you want to consult in a foreign country, you generally need the language. I know in Scandinavia Bain & Co. doesn't require a Scandinavian language, but they heavily prefer it. Beyond that, both CBS and NHH are respectively the best schools in their country, and if you have the proper language skills and perform well you have a shot as they recruit locally for the Scandinavian offices as there's not really a supply of Scandianvian-language speakers elsewhere.
Of course, if you go to NHH, you might find yourself pursuing a career in oil anyways. Those guys graduate making a shit ton of money.

Hi Mooncakes,

Actually I don't think I would try to learn a Scandinavian language since I would use it only in a very strict context.
My intention is to further my knowlegde in English and Spanish and start studying either French or German during the next year.
If hypothetically I go to CBS or NHH, but after graduating I cannot find a job because of language barriers, I would probably go to a different country in Europe.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Admitted MSc: Erasmus x Grenoble x Imperial College x EADA [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2014, 10:56
leo_kubrak wrote:
mooncakes wrote:

Hi Mooncakes,

Actually I don't think I would try to learn a Scandinavian language since I would use it only in a very strict context.
My intention is to further my knowlegde in English and Spanish and start studying either French or German during the next year.
If hypothetically I go to CBS or NHH, but after graduating I cannot find a job because of language barriers, I would probably go to a different country in Europe.

You mentioned an interest in consulting, correct? Unless you're talking about In-House Consulting (I know Maersk hires here for that and Maersk generally only requies English) you won't have much prospects here. Scratch that, you'll still be heavily handicapped not knowing a Scandinavian language. I would recommend against CBS or NHH if you're not interested in learning a Scandinavian language. I know they place some students in England, but I wouldn't depend on that, not to mention London jobs are probably heavily sought after. For some reason, people have the silly notion that you have to live in an overcrowded and expensive city in a country that has pretty piss poor salaries all around to make it big.

You will also have the same problem with RSM and Grenoble. Consulting firms generally want local language knowledge. RSM might help you place into England and there might be some English-speaking jobs in the Netherlands (probably not consulting), but France definitely requires French skills and I don't know much about Grenoble's placement.

Consulting is client-facing and depends on making good impressions. If you were in charge of a consulting firm, you'd want to hire someone that can make your client feel comfortable by speaking his native language, which is most likely going to be the local language of the area. At least, that's my conjecture for why local language skills are so highly valued.

GMAT Prep 1 - November 25, 2013: 44 Q, 45 V, 720
GMAT Prep 2 - March 16, 2014: 47 Q, 42 V, 720

Re: Admitted MSc: Erasmus x Grenoble x Imperial College x EADA   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2014, 10:56