Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 01:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admitted! Now what?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Admitted! Now what? [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 08:30
After months of agonizing over logical-but-weird SC rules, racking your brains over tricky CRs and slowly and steadily improving your quant performance, you give your GMAT. You get your score and feel encouraged to apply. You finalize schools and start preparing your app. You struggle to create a recommenders list, spend days (or nights) rediscovering yourself while writing your essays and present your best in your interviews. Then the wait begins and - finally - you get the call you've been waiting for! High fives, congratulations and best wishes fly all around! You are on top of the world!

What now??? How do you deal with the next 2-or-so years?

I'm starting this non-school-specific post-admission advice thread for all admitees - regular MBA, EMBA or part-time. I'd like members to advice or point to articles/books/blogs on the following:

- How to prepare yourself emotionally
- How to prepare yourself academically
- How to organize ones life and schedule to make it easier once the program starts
- How to prepare your family, spouse, kids for the program

Basically focused on - what are things that one should or could do before the program starts?

Some recommendations I have so far:

- Take a vacation (and forget doing so for the next 2 years)
- Set a schedule for study and exercise around the class schedule and follow it before the program starts
- Take a speed reading course to improve reading speed
- Involve the family in all family events in the school (especially true for EMBAs)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Admitted! Now what? [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 08:36
I was just about to start this exact same thread. Not sure where exactly I'll end up yet, but I know I'll be heading back to school in the fall. Any advice people could offer to not only ease the transition, but help ensure success when I first get there, would be greatly appreciated!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas Darden Ross Booth Sloan (that's right, HDRBS)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 5

Re: Admitted! Now what? [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 08:58
Learn how to cook. Saves money, you eat healthier, and you have a nice relaxing activity to calm your nerves on night/weekends when you have time. It's also incredibly indicative of competence and well-roundedness to be able to serve someone a nice home-cooked meal.

Just don't turn into some pretentious "foodie." Barf.

The end is only the beginning.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted! Now what? [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 09:47
Found a podcast on the subject: google "MBA's Guide to a Successful First Year on Campus:
How to Hit the Ground Running"
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted! Now what? [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 15:45
Quote:
After months of agonizing over logical-but-weird SC rules, racking your brains over tricky CRs and slowly and steadily improving your quant performance, you give your GMAT. You get your score and feel encouraged to apply. You finalize schools and start preparing your app. You struggle to create a recommenders list, spend days (or nights) rediscovering yourself while writing your essays and present your best in your interviews. Then the wait begins and - finally - you get the call you've been waiting for! High fives, congratulations and best wishes fly all around! You are on top of the world!

What now???

Get a few drinks. Oh, and a few drinks for whoever proofed your essays. And whoever listened for the last five months when you didn't talk about anything except applications.

And then start worrying about school.
Re: Admitted! Now what?   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2011, 15:45